XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Character Equpiment

Immanuel

I didnt know were else to post this so this is my humble though.

I think that a usefull and unfustrating way to 'dish out' equipment would be to have each soldier equpied indevidualy but maybe have extra stuff stored on bord the ship like lazers and grenades, gas masks, batteries and suncream just incase. But generaly be good for each and every soldier prehapps it replenishes what they had after each battle and tells you passifically if something has run out in the stockpile after a battle. and they get to keep things tey picked up during battle.

The other thing that i am remember from olders x-com is the way u have to change the items in your squad, it is very annoying to have do all this proccess from putting the item on the ground then the other soldier have to walk on that item and then take it from the ground, :cussing:

It is easier to change it directly inventory to inventory and then calculate the cost of time :rock:

What do you say ? :naughty:

The other thing that i am remember from olders x-com is the way u have to change the items in your squad, it is very annoying to have do all this proccess from putting the item on the ground then the other soldier have to walk on that item and then take it from the ground, :cussing:

It is easier to change it directly inventory to inventory and then calculate the cost of time :rock:

What do you say ? :naughty:

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

What I would like to see is a 'remember equipment' button in the inventory screen. Every time this button is clicked, the soldier will remember exactly what was being carried, bar a few special items, like alien artefacts, scenery (chairs, logs, whatever) and other mission critical devices. Basically it only remembers items that are available in base storage.

Anyway, once the soldier is told to remember an equipment setup, that soldier will always try to keep the same equipment and restock equipment as necessary assuming there's sufficient equipment during the 'restock' phase (at end of every day, or immediately after returning from a mission).

Say the soldier carries a shotgun and two boxes of shells in the belt and a pair of tear gas grenades. During the course of one day, the soldier may empty a whole box of shells and pick up five fragmentation grenades and an extra tear gas canister. When the soldier gets back to base, the soldier automatically puts the grenades and the extra tear gas grenade back into storage and promtly refills the shotgun shell boxes

It's a simple enough and elegant solution that eliminates a bit of redundant micromanagement and increases productivity (i.e. save time) and you'll feel more reassured that your soldiers haven't just picked up any old piece of equipment when you never asked them to.

One extra idea to remembering equipment would be to keep any empty magazines and ammo boxes that a soldier may be carrying and not have them simply vanish once all the ammo is spent. Then, when you get home, you automatically refill these boxes and magazines with bullets. Kind of like what Apocalypse did - but without destroying the ammo clip at the end - in fact, that would've solved Apocalypses tedious re-arming phase for each unique inventory set-up.

- NKF

A system like this also facilitates having an auto sell/buy feature. By additionally placing player defined caps on what they want kept in stores, as well as what is identified by what your soldiers are using, the system can sell off excesses or (in the case of if that item or items is available on the market) buy them to meet said storage and/or transport storage cap stipulated by the player.

I've always been a big fan of eliminating much of the click intensive stuff with games like this, but also realize that in the beginning, its probably still necessary to some extent. All your initial setups, then changes to those setups to have the system reremember that new setup(s).