8 replies to this topic

#1 basagulero3d

basagulero3d

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 11:16 PM

sorry i had to post this up, im sure i saw something about this somewhere here, but now i cant find it =(

but anyways, the smoke grenades, why can I only explode 4 smoke grenades per mission, sometimes the smoke grenades blow up but there is no smoke?

#2 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 11:22 PM

That's because the programmers, in all their wisdom, decided to store smoke and fire in the same table AND make it a fixed size that isn't really large enough to cover the whole map.

Basically there's a limit to how many puffs (one for each tile) of smoke and fire that can be used on the same map. Note that not only do your smoke grenades produce smoke, but explosives can kick up light clouds of smoke as well.

So if you need to use more smoke grenades, wait till the other smoke clouds have thinned out. On most maps, you should be able to locate some good spots to wait out a few turns before moving on.

- NKF
Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

#3 revenant4

revenant4

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 12:08 AM

Damn NKF if I didn't know any better I'd say you worked for Microprose...good complete answer

#4 basagulero3d

basagulero3d

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 12:36 AM

hmm, thanks that was a very informative/scientific answer.

..is it just me are most of the people that hang out here progammers and techie of some sort.

:worship:

#5 The Master Maniac

The Master Maniac

Captain

• Xenocide Recruit
  • 442 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 01:26 AM

Well, everything has its limits. For a game that's so undeniably old, the amount of detail in the enviroments onscreen is pretty amazing--I never ran into any real problems with not having enough smoke/fire effects on a map, but now it's apparent that such a thing exists. A quick question though: when you throw a smoke grenade and there's not enough "room" left to draw up the graphics for the smoke, is "vision" still obscured? Funny this topic popped up (or I decided to finally uncover it), because my plan to get around this particularly challenging UFO recovery mission just so happens to involve chucking smoke grenades like mad to cover a bolt to a nearby building. Is this a bad idea?

#6 dan2

dan2

Xnet Proof Task Force

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 561 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 02:14 PM

Damn NKF if I didn't know any better I'd say you worked for Microprose...good complete answer

So you're sure he didn't work for them? Hmm... that might explain it how he knows everything :)

#7 Blehm 98

Blehm 98

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 08:54 PM

i would've said the same thing though, and i sure don't work for microprose
Top Secret Xenocide Status report

BF2 Hackers =5SF= have busted
]sD[ Engageo <-- couldn't get him banned though, no screenshot of him ingame
]sD[Nomisser
an AK guy
The anti-logarithm of the logarithm of X plus the logarithm of Y equals X times Y, or 10^(logX + logY) = XY
Posted Image
I hate spider solitaire...

#8 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 12:18 AM

If I had worked with the Gollop Brothers and the team that worked on the games, I would've been able to get my grubby mits on the source code and iron out all the bugs! (I'd still like to try that if ever given the chance). As it is - the best computer I had when X-Com first came out was a half dead Apple-IIe and ran on two 5 inch floppy drives. Modern I was, yes.

NKF is only knowledgeable in certain aspects of X-Com because he's too stubborn and keeps talking about X-Com although having not really properly played the game for years and years (and hangs around on X-Com forums more than is medically recommended).

Now hush, enough, or else I will have to wave my semi-moderatorly sharp pointy stick and make idle threats. Muhuwhaho-er..ooh, almost lost myself to megalomania there.

- NKF

edit: Look, if you REALLY want to test out the effectiveness of smoke grenades and muddle around to get an idea on how they function best, the only real way to find out is to find out for yourself.

I can help facilitate this by providing a controlled test savegame that sets up an ideal scenario for you to test this in. Follow the supplied link and scroll down to the smoke grenade test savegame I cooked up.

http://www.geocities.../testgames.html

Enjoy and don't be alarmed with what you see in this savegame (or any of the others there). They won't harm your game as long as you only mess with the savegames.

Edited by NKF, 02 June 2005 - 02:05 AM.

Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

#9 Zombie

Zombie

Colonel

• Xenocide Creative-Text Departmen
  • 2,947 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 11:43 PM

Thanks to NKF's Smoke grenade savedgame, I am now a firm believer in smoke as a defensive aid. At one time I thought those grenades were a waste of time and money. But after my testing was completed, Smoke Grenades will always be included on away missions. Yes, they really do work - if you know how to use them correctly.

The only way to truly appreciate the effectiveness of Smoke Grenades is to test them out under controlled conditions. NKF's game does just that. :master:
The Mr. Grognard of X-COM

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!