• This topic is locked This topic is locked
384 replies to this topic

#351 Breunor

Breunor

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 08:20 AM

Yes, the cones were a perfect idea for setting up the animation, that's looking great Fidel.

#352 Anthraxus

Anthraxus

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 08:37 AM

The gentle rocking of the upper body is a really good counterpoint to tail action. Excellent work Fidel. Can't wait to see the various gun positionings.
- Anthraxus
Member of the Old Git Club

"And, as in uffish thought he stood, the Jabberwock, with eyes aflame, came wiffling through the tulgy wood and burbled as it came."

Fortune's Landing LARP - Another of my creations

#353 Foozball

Foozball

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 12:25 PM

Dude, that's AWESOME. :rock:
Looks very snakelike, and aggressive/menacing at the same time.
The first half of your life is ruined by your parents.
The second half of your life is ruined by your kids.

#354 mamutas

mamutas

Colonel

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 01:43 PM

beauty! :)
mamutas@sourceforge.net

#355 mikker

mikker

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 02:15 PM

what about raising its head a little? I think its head is too low. It would be hard to see in battlescape.

Some people say that dreams are a portal to the subconscious. If that is so, I am a very disturbed person.

the truth about scientology

#356 Deimos

Deimos

Colonel

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 05:01 PM

I'm sure raising the head is just a tweak that needs to be done Mikker :)

That is a really good walk cycle Fidel. To be honest I think you've about got the general movement nailed.

#357 jelorol

jelorol

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 04:49 AM

Very nice reptilian movement! keep up with the good work Fidel!

#358 fidel_

fidel_

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 162 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 03:32 PM

I've been busy for the last few days, but here's few animations.

Pistol and heavy weapons are fired differently, but I'm having trouble with reaching the second sleeve with the heavy gun, too short arms! :'(

I'm going to make few more death and idle animations, and perhaps tweak those existing ones if there's any suggestions. ;)

I guess the head seems to be a bit low now since the armor is now extruded from the body, I lowered it originally when I moved the eyes forward and the head just seemed too high to me. :/

Edit: And melee animation is on my to-do list as well.

Attached Files

Edited by fidel_, 18 February 2004 - 03:34 PM.

Posted Image

#359 Whitewashed

Whitewashed

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 03:48 PM

very nice work, I like the idle animations

could the fall direction in the death animation be altrered depending on from which direction you shoot it?

#360 Guest_drewid_*

Guest_drewid_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2004 - 03:48 PM

pretty damn good. very snakey.

The only thing I might suggest is keeping the recoil more in line, It looks a bit like he'd miss because of his aim being thrown otherwise.

The only thing with doing that is that you might have to make the recoil bigger/faster to maintain the feeling of power. or you could give it a real punch, then drifts off line a bit afterwards as he relaxes back to the start pose.

Another thing worth trying with this sort of snap action is cutting some frames to make the "fire frame" really fast. so instead of trigger to recoil taking say 6 frames it could take 2 or 3.

Like in action movies where they cut 1 or 2 frames just after the hero's punch hits the baddies jaw just to give it extra power.

#361 Vaaish

Vaaish

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 04:12 PM

looks good.

#362 Breunor

Breunor

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 08:28 AM

Those are looking nice! This little pic is trying to show my suggestion of holding the heavy weapons, it's a view from above. If you have the snameman's torso turned towards the side the weapon's on, it makes it easier to hold with both hands. The left side shows the current angle, the right shows with the twist. Then when he fires, the weapon can kick straight back, twisting his torso just a little bit more.

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   8.28K   3 downloads

#363 jelorol

jelorol

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 08:40 AM

I think Fidel planned to use always the same standard position, so he prepared one where both small and big weapons could fit. Sure that it is better to have individual positioning for every different type of object. but that means a lot of more work...

#364 Breunor

Breunor

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 08:52 AM

Yeah, the fewer the better I agree. I wonder how many weapons the snakeman might use? Obviously just the alien tech, but would we see him using a small launcher or other 2 handed weeapons? It would seem there could be a 2 handed animation and a 1 handed animation, and we try to take similar grip locations into consideration when making the weapons. For example, if we find the heavy plasma's front sleeve is too far forward, we can move it back some to make it fit better, or put the front sleeve under the weapon body so his hand is reaching to the right spot on all weapons. I think that's a fair compromise to make.

#365 jelorol

jelorol

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 09:10 AM

yeah, think so :D

#366 fidel_

fidel_

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 162 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 08:09 AM

So it's ok to have just one pose where all the animations start? I guess having two sets of animations for light and heavy guns might be a good idea, if time permits I'll look into that. I need more heavy weapons for testing purposes though, is the launcher finished yet?

I'll see if I can do anything to the recoil with the things you suggested drewid.

Micah asked me to make a movie showing the snakeman animations, and I got a bit carried away. I should have been doing something more productive. ^_^
http://koti.phnet.fi...tt/projectx.avi (7 megs, divx)
Posted Image

#367 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 10:03 AM

That is amazing fidel! Great work!
I'm only partially inactive. :P I can still be reached at cpl.facehugger@gmail.com, and via PM. Preferably the former.

*Coming back? Avast! Facehugger, finish your assignments!*

Posted Image

#368 Breunor

Breunor

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 12:20 PM

That video rocks!

#369 mikker

mikker

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 03:16 PM

poor bird :)

i think that the dead animation should show a little more "impact" of the shot.

Some people say that dreams are a portal to the subconscious. If that is so, I am a very disturbed person.

the truth about scientology

#370 red knight

red knight

Xenocide Project Leader

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 06:22 PM

Sound guys, you have an assigment... experiment with some enviromentals sounds in the movie and the shots and scream of the snakeman death. That will give you a framework to work with sound in a realistic setting. (and we will have a nice movie to put in the site)... I will crosspost this is the sound department.

Fidel your work with the Snakeman is top stuff, keep up the excelent work you are doing.

Greetings
Red Knight

Edited by red knight, 21 February 2004 - 06:25 PM.

Sourceforge Nick: flois - Federico Andres Lois
Visit my blog at: flois.blogspot.com

Posted Image

Pookie cover me, I am going in.

#371 Micah

Micah

Colonel

• [[Administrators]]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 07:10 PM

Spectacular, Fidel. Just what I was looking for. Thanks!

#372 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 07:16 PM

Fidel, you truly deserve that black suit! :)
I'm only partially inactive. :P I can still be reached at cpl.facehugger@gmail.com, and via PM. Preferably the former.

Posted Image

#373 XcomVic

XcomVic

I need to pick a department

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 02:59 AM

wow, i have just been honored in seeing one heck of a demo.... VERY nice work fidel, i can see now Xenocide will be a great game with the excellent teamwork i see here within the project...
...just a thought...

#374 Guest_drewid_*

Guest_drewid_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2004 - 08:16 AM

Really nice. Though I'm losing the detail of the snake on my monitor. perhaps a bit more fill light to pick it out, like the light has reflected from the sand. The only other thing I would suggest is to avoid orbiting the camera in that last shot. either that or slow it right down. Spinning camera syndrome is best avoided really.

Edited by drewid, 22 February 2004 - 09:56 AM.

#375 Foozball

Foozball

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 11:59 AM

Nice work fidel!
The thing I'm noticing though is that the entire model seems to be too... I dunno... dark? There isn't enough contrast between the armour and the body and you can't really see its face either.
Is that just me?
Does anyone else care about this or should I just pipe down? :blink:
The first half of your life is ruined by your parents.
The second half of your life is ruined by your kids.

#376 fidel_

fidel_

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 162 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 03:47 PM

Here's a clip with few things I forgot. About the lighting/detail issue, my monitor is pretty old (about 8 years) so I wouldn't wonder if things seem a bit different on other peoples comps. I could add some lighting, but all those scenes took an hour to render altough they're pretty simple, so please pity me. :)

This one is without any sounds or music if sound department wants to play with it.

Attached Files

Posted Image

#377 Whitewashed

Whitewashed

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 04:10 PM

the videos don't work for me, only the intros. Is my DivX plugin too old?

#378 fidel_

fidel_

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 162 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 04:26 PM

What's your divx version? Both my movie and modeling program use divx version 5.1.1 when saving movies. I could make try some other format if this divx version doesn't work for you.
Posted Image

#379 Whitewashed

Whitewashed

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 04:29 PM

it's probably easier if I just get a newer version :D

#380 Micah

Micah

Colonel

• [[Administrators]]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 08:00 PM

Good job, Fidel. The intro was a nice addition. Maybe we'll try to make that a standard. Hopefully the sound people will jump at the opportunity to present you with sound effects and a music track (hint hint).

#381 Xer0

Xer0

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 11:18 AM

I think if anything you should add some kind of "horns" on the sides of the head like the previous D&D picture. Also, the face should look a little bit less like an earthly snake.

#382 Breunor

Breunor

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 01:20 PM

We're well past that stage of development now, this guy's concept is locked down.

#383 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 02:16 PM

I think that video would sound good with a western type sound track. Like what you see in old wild west movies.

Hmm...Or even better, an Egyptian type soundtrack! :D

Posted Image

#384 Breunor

Breunor

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 03:43 PM

The western would sound good! Is the classic whistle sound from The Good, Bad, and Ugly licensed? The alien is shot by somebody, I could make a Clint Eastwood skin to hide inside the soldier's helmet if we eventually see him... ;)

#385 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 07:56 PM

The whistle! You are right on Breunor! That is just what I was thinking about, but I didn't know how to describe it. :D

Posted Image