gufu

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:02 PM

Posted Image

Discuss

Edited by gufu, 02 October 2007 - 08:02 PM.

Proud member of Commanders Tommy fan club.

#2 Sporb

Sporb

UFO2000 Staff

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:32 PM

back when cover art didnt need to be at all indicative of the games actual content ...

#3 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:44 PM

Agreed. Anyone seen the really early American version for Megaman (Rockman)? *shudder* That's just one example I can think of off the top of my head.

That image up there was for the European release of the game if I'm not mistaken. Mind you, I'm quite glad the image of Mars with the excessively souped up Avenger became the more popular and more widely accepted cover. The one above is quite misleading.

There was also a rather unique cover for the Japanese release of UFO (I think for the Playstation) if anyone can find that.

- NKF

Edited by NKF, 02 October 2007 - 10:48 PM.

Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

#4 Zombie

Zombie

Colonel

• Xenocide Creative-Text Departmen
  • 2,947 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:58 PM

You can see the packaging for the 3 PSX versions at Stewart Whyte's website. Pity the Japanese cover was linked to the old XCommand website which no longer has it. Anyhow, the thumbs give you an idea what it looks like.

You can view the covers for the other versions at Moby Games.

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer the European cover over the ones for the US. That's probably from being desensitized due to seeing them so often. (It's even used for the OSG's cover). But come on, the Avenger has rust spots on it and looks nothing like the real thing. The Star Wars looking "pod" on the right doesn't add much either. The US PSX cover is much better though. ^_^

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie, 02 October 2007 - 11:59 PM.

The Mr. Grognard of X-COM

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#5 gufu

gufu

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:16 PM

I spy a dude with a rifle at the bottom left...
Proud member of Commanders Tommy fan club.

#6 Munkeh

Munkeh

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:27 PM

Aye, I quite like the us psx ones for the sketches of the troopers in the b/g.

I quite like what they've done with the personal armour.

#7 placebo

placebo

Rookie

• New Forum Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 02:04 PM

You can see the packaging for the 3 PSX versions at Stewart Whyte's website. Pity the Japanese cover was linked to the old XCommand website which no longer has it. Anyhow, the thumbs give you an idea what it looks like.

You can view the covers for the other versions at Moby Games.

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer the European cover over the ones for the US. That's probably from being desensitized due to seeing them so often. (It's even used for the OSG's cover). But come on, the Avenger has rust spots on it and looks nothing like the real thing. The Star Wars looking "pod" on the right doesn't add much either. The US PSX cover is much better though. ^_^

- Zombie

wow thanks for the link. It says now available for xp and vista.....I think I might buy since I cant get collectors edition to work on vista and I can only play on ME.