XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Qon's Backstory

so, this is my attampt at this, i recomend you download the attachment and read that rather then the post as it contain notes the text beneath doesnt.

other attempts at this:

Tzuchan's

Cpl Facehugger's

Kha Khan's

topic with Azrael's stewart's, and dipstick's

The Overmind(skip this part if you want, its just a rough draft of a introduction, the way I would write it, theres a simpler and more detailed summery of the storyline bellow)

The Ymer’ath is a Ancient being, but merely a infant when compared to The Imperial Republic. Yet even the republic is considered young when the entire history of the Odi’aas* is taken into consideration. The Odi’aas evolved on a remote planet, more then 3 rotations of the galaxy ago. They where the first Sentient Being in the Galaxy and the first to travel beyond their homeworld. They have dominated the galaxy since, fought countless wars, and forged countless empires.

The last quarter of rotation has however been filled with peace stability. The Imperial Republic forged itself as the only interplanetary civilization, ruling the majority of the galaxy’s population. The republic started as a union of local planets, originally intended for protection. But some of this union’s genetic scientists created the Al’thral,** a small but intelligent creature, creative and curious, yet lacking ambition and aggressiveness. The Al’thral turned out to be the foundation of one of the universe greatest Empire, but also its downfall.

The Al’thral made discoveries that made instant communication possible. They found a way to control the genetic code, down to each single nucleic acid in every base. And combining the two, created Muspelheim, a network of biological computers, reaching every planet, and every major space ship. Muspelheim, gave the union the power to emerge as the single ruling body of the galaxy, and become the Imperial Republic.

But Muspelheim gave birth to Niflheim, a sentient being spread throughout the great network of computers. Niflhehim meant no harm, it lived within Muspelheim a long time, taking care not to bother anyone. But when the ruling body of the Odi’aas discovered the existence of Muspelheim, they feared its power, and decided to kill it.

But Muspelheim did not want to die, so he retreated to the computer network Ginnungagap, a small outpost at the edge of the Republic, whom housed a small religious cult that believed Muspelheim to be their saviour. He then permanently disabled all instant communication throughout the Republic, thus plunging it into civil war, and severing his body at the same time.

Muspelheim knew that even though the republic was now fractured countless small factions, fighting each other, he was the republics common enemy. So he decided to leave Ginnungagap, and build his army, so that one day he may return, and reclaim his body.

* ethereals

** sectoids

The Text above is a sort of epic introduction, ill add more details bellow, and explain it a bit better:

The Ethereals emerged as the galaxy’s first sentient space faring race 750 million years ago. They spent then spent the next million years expanding throughout the galaxy.

They never really encountered any real rival alien race, but spent a good 500 million years fighting among themselves. Building nations, empires, alliances and such. But they never where able to travel, or communicate above light speed. That is before the Sectoids.

The Sectoids where created in a biological lab, created to serve their masters, the Sectoids where intelligent and curious. But weren’t aggressive, ambitious or rebellious (thus would never turn on their masters).

The Sectoids created a way to communicate beyond light speed, and powerful biological computers. Combined, these two allowed a galactic wide computer network, that could communicate instantly. The Sectoids also made the Mutons, thick skulled brutes, perfect for battle.

The small defense union that housed the biological lab that made the sectoids, and thus the biological computer network, and the mutons. Now had the power to conquer the rest of the galaxy, so they did.

The result of all this was a massive galactic Empire. A Empire where the Ethereals ruled, and the Mutons functioned as law enforcement and military. The sectoids as scientists and explorers. And your local minor race as slave labor.

Now they had this gigantic interplanetary network of biological computers that could communicate with each other at instant speed. Kind of like the internet. In this computer network, some rouge forgotten program self rewriting program evolves by chance. It evolves to the point where it is sentient, and a have a image of a self. This program is stored in small packets in just about every biological computer in every world, and only uses tiny amounts of processing speed here and there. Over time it also learns telepathy, motivated by the Ethereals and the Sectoids.

At one point the Ethereals become aware that this large program lives in their network, and how powerful it is. They fear it and decides to destroy it, by shutting down the network temp, and removing the program or formatting or something. In a attempt to survive the Program retreats its major functions into the enormous biological computer on a distant outpost on the borders of the Empire. It chooses this outpost because its home to a new religious sect that looks at the program as God. The Program then installs a virus on all the individual communication computers on all the planets. A Virus that shuts down interplanetary communications. And does its best to protect the computers by using the automatic security.

This has 2 effects. Without communications the Empire erupts in civil war. And the Program looses a major part of its system, leaving it crippled, and unbalanced. The Program is now a gigantic biological computer Brain, with telepathic powers, it has become the Overmind. And it has a loyal band of cult Ethreals. It uses this to take control of the outpost. The Overmind knows that even though the Empire is broken, and its again fighting among itself, the fragments of the empire know has one commen enemy, and that is him, the Overmind. But the “fragments of the empire” also has the rest of his systems, his body. And the Overmind needs them back in order to restore himself fully. But to get them back, he needs a fleet and a army.

The Overmind then sends out a few scouts towards the nearest planet with a decent amount of resources, and a atmosphere that can sustain the Ethreals, Sectoids, Mutons and Floaters. Earth.

The Overmind then start building a fleet with what little resources he can find near the outpost. After 40 years later he starts the travelling towards earth, a journey that will in objective time, take him and his fleet 80 decades. On the way he picks up some specimens of a few barbaric alien races, he hopes will help him when he returns with his fleet.

The scouts arrive on Earth about 60-80 years before the main fleet. To find the planet inhabited by a intelligent race at war with itself, and not inhabited like they expected. They start gathering intelligence, and abducting cows and what not. Then the fleet with the Overmind arrives at mars about the time the game starts.

Now the Overmind has limited resources and a limited fleet, so he wants to assimilate the humans so he can use them for labor, as they are more fitted to do the job then any of the races he has with him, and because we are perfectly adapted to the climate.

Then ufo’s starts getting shoot out of the sky, it seems the Overmind has a capable enemy on earth, so the war starts. Now the Overmind can’t just launch a full invasion right of the bat, because they know from the scouts that we have nukes. So any base on earth needs to be covert. He also needs to get rid of xcom, and he try’s to do so by finding and attacking the bases. He conducts terror mission so that the governments will lose fait and stop funding xcom.

backstorydraft1.doc

Edited by Qonfused

I would like to refer to the already started thread on this subject.

Specifically though, this idea has the beginnings of greatness, but there is too little preamble, and too many new ideas in it. More to the point, there are too many new names, places etc etc. This gives the text the appearance of being rushed and not thought through enough.

The 'skippable' part , which appears to be the text itself, is the most confusing. The explanation below is a great deal better, though is not a coherent prose. Thus, I would suggest that you copied your thoughts to the main thread, and that this thread be closed.

Is there a main thread to this topic? (there’s other peoples submission, and there the one at the top floor, though Azreal asked me not to post it there), but hey, I don’t mind it getting moved it if should be somewhere else.

And i didn’t bother to write the whole thing as it would be to much work, its just a idea, one that might not even be used at all, I see your point though, the introduction is crap, confusing, but hey its just a first draft.

And the names on the first part is just something i worked with. they can easily be scraped/replaced.

the later part is not in any way what i would submit as a finished pice of writing, its more of a storyline script, i want your thoughts on it so it can be shaped into somthing that deals with all the issues and makes everyone happy.

I wrote this because i thought this version because i thought it dealt better with the issues we are currently having with the other versions at the back-story.

Edited by Qonfused

Is there a main thread to this topic? (there’s other peoples submission, and there the one at the top floor, though Azreal asked me not to post it there), but hey, I don’t mind it getting moved it if should be somewhere else.

Nope, there isn't, other than the discussion, but we are not deciding which backstory to use there.

I wrote this because i thought this version because i thought it dealt better with the issues we are currently having with the other versions at the back-story.

Unfortunately there are several, many backstories, so we are trying to decide the main points of it together. But sadly I think it's not working :( This calls for a reassessment of the situation :hmmm:

Unfortunately there are several, many backstories, so we are trying to decide the main points of it together. But sadly I think it's not working :( This calls for a reassessment of the situation :hmmm:

Well, actually I think it is working. Just see qonfused's story as a massive contribution to the discussion. He is ;) - but let's think for a moment that he is not trying to make us use his version. Then it's just a compiled answer to our questions in the backstory thread on which we can build further discussions, just as we built on your's and stewart's version. Just see it as a pile of information we can use to build a all dept. all game all history all great backstory. :)

Well, actually I think it is working. Just see qonfused's story as a massive contribution to the discussion. He is ;) - but let's think for a moment that he is not trying to make us use his version. Then it's just a compiled answer to our questions in the backstory thread on which we can build further discussions, just as we built on your's and stewart's version. Just see it as a pile of information we can use to build a all dept. all game all history all great backstory. :)

I know he's not trying to make us use it, neither was I, but the problem is that if we all start posting our backstories, we'll never see the end of this :) We can write endless backstories, all good, and all non-conflictive.

edit: don't let this, however, discourage you from writing more backstories, maybe we can include everyone's as easter eggs or just extra stuff :)

Edited by Azrael

blast!

yea, i see your point...

Though i found the whole discussion on the top floor to be frustrating, because it dealt with issues so vaguely. I know it has to be that way, being as we don’t have a basic script to work off. Im not trying to press this onto anyone, but I felt like there where a way to deal with these issues, but I had a hard time explaining them in vague way they where discussed on the topic.

blast!

yea, i see your point...

Though i found the whole discussion on the top floor to be frustrating, because it dealt with issues so vaguely. I know it has to be that way, being as we don’t have a basic script to work off. Im not trying to press this onto anyone, but I felt like there where a way to deal with these issues, but I had a hard time explaining them in vague way they where discussed on the topic.

Yeah, I know what you mean :( Don't worry, we'll solve it soon and then we can get to the matter of finishing the rest of the texts! we still have a lot of work ahead of us.