XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Laser Sounds

Claymation

So what exactly does a laser sound like? Are we going for classic star wars laser sounds here or coming up with something a little more original and less used?

This was kind of a tough one because its REALLY easy to make a laser sound like some low-fi cheese if your not careful. Here is my first take on it. Tell me what you think?

Laser_Pistol.zip

We had a lot of discussion about this, and never came really to an answer whether to make it sound "realistic" or movie like. A realistic sound would somewhat be like a thunder, due to the shock-heated air around the beam. So we decided, it probably would sound like "klick" or "klack".

I very much liked the charging sound after the shot. Great work there. And the shot itself sounds like a nice compromise between realism and fictional sound. Maybe you could do a "real-real" version anyhow, just so we have a better idea of what we are talking about...

Ok, here is a hopefully a more "real" laser sound. After reading up on laser technology on the x-net it sounds like the weapon will require a quick charge time before the shot, so I have included that. Also it seems like the laser is one of the more "elegant" weapons in the game, so I toned it down a little and kept it simple and consistent. Let me know what you think, and if you like this one or the first one more.

While we're on the subject of what futuristic weapons sound like, I'm going to be starting on the plasma pistol next. I read the plasma technology on x-net and I was thinking of going for a kind of "liquid fire" effect, let me know if you have suggestions on this.

Laser2.zip

It is a very interesting sound. I do love the power the sound suggests. The "tschak" in the middle of the sound, which I guess is the actual shot is just great! The whole sound itself is very nice, but somehow, with the charging sequence it sounds more like a bolt from a crossbow. Maybe try removing the pre-shot charge, or better, try to find a charging sound which does not discharge in the actual shot sound, but is more detached, maybe a bit like the "fieee" after the shot, but more bold and much shorter. Or maybe just try to add a high pitch sound crescendo to the charging sequence. Maybe that does the trick?

Haven't posted anything new for a while, I've been really busy for the last couple weeks, but I'll try and stay on it. So here is another laser, its not much different. I don't know, everything kinda sounds like a sci fi crossbow to me now. (Thanks Mad! :) ) is this any better? Maybe I should ditch the charging sound? It sounds pretty good without it.

Laser_Single_Idea3.zip

Haven't posted anything new for a while, I've been really busy for the last couple weeks, but I'll try and stay on it. So here is another laser, its not much different. I don't know, everything kinda sounds like a sci fi crossbow to me now. (Thanks Mad! :) ) is this any better? Maybe I should ditch the charging sound? It sounds pretty good without it.

Try the following: Yes, ditch the charging sound. ;)

Oh, I was not done yet... Uh..., besides that I would really like to hear a version without the charging sound (my winamp just has not a high enough resolution to make this myself, sorry!!) maybe try a version with a much shorter charging sound. It sound to me, as if the charging was about 900ms or something in these lines. Maybe reduce it to 200ms... So that it is more like the hiss of some coils or the sound that you get when you are in the cellar and somebody suddenly turns on the water... uh... no, maybe not the water thing... But I hope you get what I mean...