XCOMUFO & Xenocide

New Fighter Craft

dipstick

How about having another human tech fighter craft?

You have to only research Artifical Intelligence, as it is unmanned, it is very small, but can go 3000(whatever it is). This would enable it to take out the scouts, but as it is so small it can only carry one weapon - stingray max. This would prove for some interesting battles. Maybe one laser cannon could be fitted as an upgrade?

As a side point, you could fit 4 of them in a standard hangar (ie one that fits one standard interceptor).

These scouts would cost around $200,000 and would only take a small time to build - say 3 days with 10 engineers or something. There would also be 2 provided for you at the beginning in addition to your standard interceptor.

Also, they would rarely need to land to refuel (need some reason why, maybe because they are so small) so they could be used for patrols to keep far away places free from UFOs.

Sound good?

I mean, even one or two, esp like this sort of thing, woudl enhance the game immensely. It is so basic the current system of interception; you either completely overpower the UFO, it escapes by speeding up, or it blows you up. Not fun.

Great point. I can see these being very useful in the early stages of the game, unless you could somehow upgrade them later on. It also ties in with modern aviation weaponry. The US military is currently designing, and using multiple forms of craft called 'drones' that take-off, perform their mission, and land all on their own. Robots anyone?

• 4 months later...

Right, a small drone that could only equip cannons would be nice (although plasma cannons would still rule... oh well, at least ther'd be only one of them...

It would definitely add more options though, but i'd make it purchaseable (in the 300k range) instead of buildable...

After all, our engineers can build Avengers out of UFO pieces and PLasma Heavy weponry they did'nt know existed ten week before, but can they manufacture simple bullets?? Noooooooo....

Edited by Paladin

I think the original interceptor is fast enough. It would be nice to have PDWE's as a research item and from that you could develop the aurora. Then you could belay the ufos a bit while you bring the human technology up to its current theoretical pinnacle.

It wouldn't take 3 days to build an artificial intelligence. Adn don't forget, the aliens may get new ships, but i think a small, fast, and easily destroyed fighter would work well

It wouldn't take 3 days to build an artificial intelligence.  Adn don't forget, the aliens may get new ships, but i think a small, fast, and easily destroyed fighter would work well

Nope, it would take YEARS...

I always found those XCOM experimental aircrafts exceptionnaly reliable for thing that were jurry-rigged together by only scratching the surface of technological marvels a million years ahead of us... :stupid:

Think like the "Taken" series... they could'nt even find the engine, or what material the craft was made of... :D

Accidents would be bound to happen sometimes (oops, we got 13 scientists killed in an explosion... and the Ethereal commander got loose... :LOL:)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, does anyone remember that cool looking VTOL fighter in the introducation sequence of "Ufo Defense"? (you can also see it in the background when you land at a ufo site)

It's not a interceptor 'cause interceptors do carry troops and it's definitely not a skyranger. I think it's a fighter/transport hybrid and it would fit in well with the two other human ships.

Besides, it looks cool :D

Looks like I wasn't the only one unsure about what the heck that thing was. :) That would be a cool ship, with a couple of original modifications, of course.

But the idea of a new "scout" class human fighter sounds great. Like a search drone for snooping out alien bases or something. Nice suggestion.

Hey, does anyone remember that cool looking VTOL fighter in the introducation sequence of "Ufo Defense"? (you can also see it in the background when you land at a ufo site)

It's not a interceptor 'cause interceptors do carry troops and it's definitely not a skyranger. I think it's a fighter/transport hybrid and it would fit in well with the two other human ships.

Besides, it looks cool :D

It was what the Skyranger was supposed to look like, but it seems even back in those days most games were rushed to the finish line half done...

Yeah, it looked Uber cool! :Blush:

Then again, the crafts for Xenocides are going to be wickedly cool too, even better to my taste since they look more realistic (aka less cartoony). :happybanana:

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...