Progress Release 653

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2005 - 07:26 PM

OMG I love it! It's coming great! I have a couple of first impressions :D

- Could you make the whole basescape not rotate when you click on a facility? Maybe allow for rotation with the mouse or cursors, but spinning like that made me dizzy, it's hard to look at it :)
- The Barracks and Hangar models appear looking at the same angle, in the X-Net, but the Laboratory appears facing directly the player, looking like a bar, you have to rotate to see that it's a model.
- In Game Options, in Sound Options you can barely see the name of the Sound Provider.

Other than that, it's great! I love to be able to rotate the models on the X-Net, mouse dragging, excellent =b

#2 Blehm 98

Blehm 98

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 08:04 PM

Post all your Woes and problems venturing into Build 653 here

Be alert though, the following "errors" are not errors (as people will complain about them as they have been doing for the past 2 years):

Almost none of the buttons work!

Yes, the only buttons that really do anything are (off the top of my mind):
UI test
Start New Game
Exit Game

View existing bases
- All the different base tabs but base tab #5

Options
- Sound Options
- all the sound option selections
- Abandon Game

X-Net Database
- the 4 tabs in "X-Net Database"
- - The X-Net Entries

The "x" buttons at the top of the different panels

Time settings (5 second, 1 minute, 5 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 1 day)

And i think thats every button that works ATM

Some X-net entries are missing or with no models

thats because the models and/or CTD is not completed yet, they will be added in later

I can't do anything at all

Read the first explanation

I think that is everything that people complain about

Now for errors I found

BF2 Hackers =5SF= have busted
]sD[ Engageo <-- couldn't get him banned though, no screenshot of him ingame
]sD[Nomisser
an AK guy
The anti-logarithm of the logarithm of X plus the logarithm of Y equals X times Y, or 10^(logX + logY) = XY
Posted Image
I hate spider solitaire...

#3 UnFleshed One

UnFleshed One

Programming Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 304 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:25 PM

- In Game Options, in Sound Options you can barely see the name of the Sound Provider.

Not to mention that named sound provider is Creative Labs no matter what audio card you have :)
Darkness is under the candle.

#4 Stow

Stow

Sergeant

• Xenocide Recruit
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:28 PM

I noticed that 3-d rotation doesn't work on the other bases, nor does it work on base 1 if you switch to the other bases and then back.

You have to go back to the geoscape and then back into the basescape to get the rotation to work again.

Can't wait to see the further progress.

#5 Mad

Mad

Creative Text Department

• [Xenocide Senior Members]
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 06:29 AM

So where shall I post problems? Here or there: http://www.xcomufo.c...wtopic=8407&hl= ?
Well, nevermind. :) Two little "problems" (if they are problems after all): 1st: The "sliders" (or lets say the music slider (I only tried it with this one) ) for volume control in the sound options work mirror-inverted. The more you slide them to the left, the louder it gets.
2nd: I really like the fading from one screen to another, but maybe you could speed it up just a little, because it's pretty anoying to have this if you just wanted to do a fast check on sth.
Keep smiling while dying

Of course I have gone mad with power! It would be completely ridiculous to go mad without power!
And no, this is not a quote from the Simpson's movie, I want it on paper, that I actually wrote that quite some time before the movie came out.

Posted Image

#6 SupSuper

SupSuper

Programming Department

• Xenocide Programming Department
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 08:14 AM

Not to mention that named sound provider is Creative Labs no matter what audio card you have :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well that combobox came from the Sound Options dialog on the old alpha (pre-Ogre). I'm not even sure if we're gonna need that option, but leaving it there doesn't bother anyone as well.
About the text, that should be fixed by now.

So where shall I post problems? Here or there: http://www.xcomufo.c...wtopic=8407&hl= ?
Well, nevermind. :) Two little "problems" (if they are problems after all): 1st: The "sliders" (or lets say  the music slider (I only tried it with this one) ) for volume control in the sound options work mirror-inverted. The more you slide them to the left, the louder it gets.
2nd: I really like the fading from one screen to another, but maybe you could speed it up just a little, because it's pretty anoying to have this if you just wanted to do a fast check on sth.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

About the sliders: that's a CEGUI (the library used for the User Interface) bug, so we have to wait for them to fix that. In other words, it's their job, not ours :P

-  all the sound option selections

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

actually only the music/sound effects controls work, the rest is just eyecandy (for now) ;)

Edited by SupSuper, 29 August 2005 - 08:20 AM.

too bad, now you will never know the ancient secrets of supsupers long gone avatar ;)

Posted Image

#7 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2005 - 08:47 AM

Not sure whether this is a bug or not, but didn't we have a particular soundtrack for Basescape? now the music in basescape and planetview is the same, I am not sure but I think there was another one, anyone can confirm?

#8 Stow

Stow

Sergeant

• Xenocide Recruit
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 12:02 AM

The money counter reads 12,654,000 in the X-net screen as opposed to the 345,678 in the basescape.

eta: and even when you build new facilities, the number in the x-net screen doesn't change (though the basescape number does).

Not sure if this is a bug or just a lack of implementation.

Edited by Stow, 30 August 2005 - 12:05 AM.

#9 UnFleshed One

UnFleshed One

Programming Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 304 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 12:08 AM

The real amount is of course the smallest one, just like in real life...

Why there is a money counter in Xnet at all?

It all isn't implemented yet.

Edited by UnFleshed One, 30 August 2005 - 12:09 AM.

#10 Blehm 98

Blehm 98

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 11:16 AM

I also noticed the info tab says "Hello World!"

I thought that was a beginner thing, not something someone who has programmed before does....
Top Secret Xenocide Status report

]sD[Nomisser
an AK guy
The anti-logarithm of the logarithm of X plus the logarithm of Y equals X times Y, or 10^(logX + logY) = XY
Posted Image

#11 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2005 - 11:56 AM

That's a classic :P

#12 UnFleshed One

UnFleshed One

Programming Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 304 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 02:20 PM

I thought that was a beginner thing

That is a beginning thing :)

#13 CptJackSparrow

CptJackSparrow

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 06:28 AM

I thought that was a beginner thing

The Hello World. It's easy to learn, but hard to master...

All the buildings' texture maps seem to be wrong.
Is that a bug or are these just dummy texture
coordinates?

Attached Thumbnails

• xnet.png
  • base.png

#14 Kratos

Kratos

UFO2000 Staff

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 09:58 AM

I am completely new to Xenocide, been reading on it though and it looks like a promising project. :)

But I seem to have some problems with it...it's really irritating that I can't get it running, so I request some assistance to please help me run it. :(

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, the questions:

- Where is the latest release? If there are patches, how do I apply them? Do I need a particular release, then apply the patches?

I do have to admit that you guys seem to be very confusing on your releases (no offense, constructive critism, just a newbie's view).

- I do not have a 3d accelerator card, but I seem to be able to run some 3d games that aquire direct x 8.0a? Shouldn't I be able to run your guys game too? :huh:

- Is there anything you want to tell a first timer that may result in difficulties? :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I may end up wanting to help you guys with your project, so it would be helpful for you as well as me. ^_^

#15 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2005 - 10:16 AM

- Where is the latest release? If there are patches, how do I apply them? Do I need a particular release, then apply the patches?

Read the news, there's the link (www.projectxenocide.com)

I do have to admit that you guys seem to be very confusing on your releases (no offense, constructive critism, just a newbie's view).

What do you mean?

- I do not have a 3d accelerator card, but I seem to be able to run some 3d games that aquire direct x 8.0a? Shouldn't I be able to run your guys game too? :huh:

Xenocide requires DirectX 9.0c, for other technical questions this is the FAQ
AFAIK Xenocide requires 3d accelerator.

#16 Kratos

Kratos

UFO2000 Staff

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 10:25 AM

What do you mean?

You guys release them in forums and on the website...very confusing. IMHO, the website is a better area that needs updated from time to time. :)

#17 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2005 - 10:45 AM

What do you mean?

You guys release them in forums and on the website...very confusing. IMHO, the website is a better area that needs updated from time to time. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm, I think you are confused. We post the release here on the forums, since all of our members check these, and very rarely the main site, and we update the news on the main site whenever there is a release, so people who don't know or browse our forums can get them as well, since you roam the forums more than the site, you can get them from here, the releases are all stored in the same place, so it's the same.

#18 Kratos

Kratos

UFO2000 Staff

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 10:48 AM

What do you mean?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm, I think you are confused. We post the release here on the forums, since all of our members check these, and very rarely the main site, and we update the news on the main site whenever there is a release, so people who don't know or browse our forums can get them as well, since you roam the forums more than the site, you can get them from here, the releases are all stored in the same place, so it's the same.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like I said, I am a Xenocide newbie. So yes, I am confused.

#19 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2005 - 10:51 AM

I'm trying to clear it up for you.

#20 Kratos

Kratos

UFO2000 Staff

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 10:53 AM

I know Azrael, I am just stating I agree with you. BTW, I got the download, hope it will work :fingerscrossed:

edit:

FILE: \xenocide\xenocide\src\client\xenocidemodule.cpp
LINE: 93
SOURCE: XenocideModule::main
REASON: Ogre exception: An exception has been thrown!

-------------------------------------
Details
-------------------------------------
Error #: 9
Function: D3D9RenderSystem::initialise
Description: Can't find requested video mode..
File: \projects\ogre\azathoth\RenderSystems\Direct3D9\src\OgreD3D9RenderSystem.cpp
Line: 491
Stack unwinding: <>

<_<

Edited by Kratos, 04 September 2005 - 12:44 PM.

#21 red knight

red knight

Xenocide Project Leader

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 12:54 PM

Try OpenGL renderer... and by the way do you have the DirectX 9.0c?

Greetings
Red Knight
Sourceforge Nick: flois - Federico Andres Lois
Visit my blog at: flois.blogspot.com

Posted Image

Pookie cover me, I am going in.

#22 Kratos

Kratos

UFO2000 Staff

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 01:15 PM

I have it.

Tried OpenGL, doesn't work either...I was afraid of that. :(

#23 TimberDragon

TimberDragon

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 07:13 AM

Hi,

Ive been trying to download the "Xenocide.progress.release .653.exe from the torent file, but its not letting me connect? or there is no seeders seeding...
:huh?:
Is there a real place to download this file from? or can some one seed the file?

Cheers.
:beer:

#24 red knight

red knight

Xenocide Project Leader

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 10:03 AM

Well if you didnt read it already we had a server hack, so maybe torrent is not working yet. I am sure Mindstormmaster will fix it... BTW Estimated time for everything working was Monday afternoon, so we have still lots of hours for that ;)

Greetings
Red Knight

Posted Image

#25 mindstormmaster

mindstormmaster

Programming Department

• 402 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 12:47 PM

The tracker is back up and running. Things should be returning to normal.
Posted Image

#26 kafros

kafros

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Creative-Text Departmen
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 01:58 PM

Do you know that I've found many copies of Xenocide (both exe and torrent) in P2P networks?! :D

From release 489 to the latest one

#27 mikker

mikker

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:21 AM

Do you know that I've found many copies of Xenocide (both exe and torrent) in P2P networks?! :D

From release 489 to the latest one

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, can't blame them. It does look like a bad crack of an x-com game :P

Some people say that dreams are a portal to the subconscious. If that is so, I am a very disturbed person.

the truth about scientology

#28 Darkhomb

Darkhomb

Captain

• 628 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 11:43 AM

All of xenocide works except basescape for me when i click it i get this error/

Attached Thumbnails

• error.JPG

#29 Beetle

Beetle

Programming Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 350 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 11:52 AM

Can you post .log files from your game directory?
Posted Image

#30 Moriarty

Moriarty

Xnet Proof Task Force

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 533 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 02:40 PM

somehow the baseview rotation doesn't work for me... what could i be doing wrong? I installed build 638, then copied the build 653 data directory into it. should I hvae done something else? also, I've never seen any x-net models, neither before nor after installing the 653 update. everything else works fine...

a different point: I think the click-and-drag rotation of the earth is way too fast. I kind of expected to just drag it with it, as if the cursor would be anchored to a spot on the globe (which, as I presume, would be quite dificult to program, seeing as it is a sphere displayed on a flat screen... the rotation speed of the sphere would be a function of the distance of the anchor point from the center of the circle the sphere is displayed as, right?). right now it feels like the rotation is actually two to three times as fast as the cursor movement.
I doubt, therefore I might be.

Posted Image,the sneaky little bastard.

#31 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2005 - 02:50 PM

I agree on the rotation being too fast when dragging.
Moriarty, did you rename your folder to XenocideProgressRelease and then install the patch update?

#32 UnFleshed One

UnFleshed One

Programming Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 304 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 02:55 PM

the rotation speed of the sphere would be a function of the distance of the anchor point from the center of the circle the sphere is displayed as, right?

Then you'll have to re-click if you wish to turn the globe more than 90 degrees in one direction. (if I understood you correctly)

Edit: Rotation speed can be adjusted, no problem. But it'll remain constant anyway. So that when cursor in outside the circle you still can rotate the globe whithout re-clicking.

Edited by UnFleshed One, 13 September 2005 - 02:57 PM.

#33 Beetle

Beetle

Programming Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 350 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 03:26 PM

Hi about speed of rotation:
Open (in notepad) data\xenoautoexec.cfg file and correct globe_yaw_speed and globe_pitch_speed for you own feeling :) If you want we can make a poll or something to change standard values.
P.S. You can use negativ numbers for revert :)

Gretings,
Beetle
Posted Image

#34 Darkhomb

Darkhomb

Captain

• 628 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 06:22 PM

Heres the logs.

Attached Files

#35 red knight

red knight

Xenocide Project Leader

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:54 PM

A fast inspection showed that you card do not support a OpenGL extension to render to texture (something that is needed) as you have TNT2 RIVA Nvidia. That is a very outdated card, its not posible to run Xenocide on it.

Greetings
Red Knight

Posted Image

#36 Darkhomb

Darkhomb

Captain

• 628 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 04:53 AM

Well this is a temp till mine gets here, but i havn't had a problem any other version and everyother part of xenocide works and basescape used to work so I don't know why it would just stop. And I was in DirectX not opengl.

That might have been because I tried openGL after the basescape crashed and opengl didn't work at all, I'll start it over in dx and go to basescape and put those logs on.

Logs added

Attached Files

• Attached File  game.zip   10.78K   78 downloads

Edited by Darkhomb, 14 September 2005 - 10:15 AM.

#37 Guest_iseedipp_*

Guest_iseedipp_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2005 - 02:27 AM

i just d/led the 653 release and it installed fine i tried both rendering and it won't load the first one a pop up error will come up saying "unknown error" the other it will just be a black screen

#38 Blehm 98

Blehm 98

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:31 AM

hmmm, that's a common error

sorry, but i think there's a new version up again, i'll put it in here once its saturday - it might not have that problem

That sounds like neither of the rendering software options will work for your computer, maybe someone with a bit more knowledge can give you a better answer
Top Secret Xenocide Status report

]sD[Nomisser
an AK guy
Posted Image

#39 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:36 AM

i just d/led the 653 release and it installed fine i tried both rendering and it won't load the first one a pop up error will come up saying "unknown error" the other it will just be a black screen

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you make sure you have DirectX 9.0c?

#40 tubby

tubby

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 10:48 AM

Newbie here, just downloaded Progress Release 653 and thought i would show my ignorance by commenting on some things i noticed :unsure:

On X-net:

Lab image only loads the top half (Barracks and Landing Pad Load fine)

Scroll buttons (top and bottom arrows) only work on single click not holding button down for continous scrolling (im a bit too lazy to keep button :D )

On the Artopod description paragraph 4 text change

Evidence tends to favor the latter theory, as radio emissions are not continual, being intermittent instead, and are mostly originated when the robots are engaged in combat, as if the Artopods were reporting on which tactics their attackers were using. Doubt exists, nonetheless, but we will continue to work on it.

Tubby

#41 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2005 - 10:51 AM

On X-net:

Lab image only loads the top half (Barracks and Landing Pad Load fine)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Lab actually is completely loaded, in fact it's even textured (IIRC), the problem is that it doesn't load on the same angle as the rest, go to the image screen, hold your left (I think it was the left) mouse button, and rotate the model, you'll see it completely, you can also zoom in and out, but don't remember how.

#42 tubby

tubby

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 01:04 PM

opps, just seen lab pic was already mentioned. Have i said im new :laugh:

One other thing i noticed on X-net.

When you go into Xnet for the first time it is blank.

After you select an item, leave X-net and re-enter it, the last item you viewed is displayed but the left hand menu has closed up so it is not instantly obvious what section you are in.

Hope this makes sense.

Tubby

#43 UnFleshed One

UnFleshed One

Programming Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 304 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 06:31 PM

Scroll buttons (top and bottom arrows) only work on single click not holding button down for continous scrolling (im a bit too lazy to keep button  )

I'm with you on that one :). Although I'm not only lazy -- I am frustrated as well :). It will be fixed eventually, yeah :).

After you select an item, leave X-net and re-enter it, the last item you viewed is displayed but the left hand menu has closed up so it is not instantly obvious what section you are in.

That one is a kind of a bug too.

Edit:
Those two are perfect for green recruits, BTW :). So I'll leave them for a while untouched.

I mean pink recruits...

Edited by UnFleshed One, 29 October 2005 - 06:36 PM.

#44 tubby

tubby

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 07:56 PM

i would volunteer myself but don't know c++ at all well, more VB sadly LOL

#45 Jedi Aztek

Jedi Aztek

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 07:32 PM

I just downloaded progress release 653 yesterday and when I try and run the program I'm getting the following message.

An exception has occured!

FILE : \xenocide\xenocide\xenocide\src\client\xenocidemodule.cpp
LINE : 93
SOURCE : XenocideModule::main
REASON : Ogre exception: an exception has been thrown!

------------------------------
Details:
------------------------------
Error#:9
Function : D3D9RenderSystem::D3D9renderSystem
Description : Failed to create Direct3D9 object
File: \projects\ogre\azathoth\RenderSystems\Direct3D9\src\OgreD3D0RenderSystem.cpp
Line : 93
Stack unwinding : D3D9RenderSystem::D3D9RenderSystem(..)<- <<beginning of stack>>

I'm not the most technically minded person, so I have no idea at all what any of this means. Any help would be most appreciated.

#46 mindstormmaster

mindstormmaster

Programming Department

• 402 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 08:56 PM

It's probably because you don't have DirectX. You need DirectX version 9.0c
Posted Image

#47 Jedi Aztek

Jedi Aztek

Squaddie

• Forum Members