XCOMUFO & Xenocide

New Unit Concepts

Jamaru

[quote name='Violazr' date='Aug 23 2005, 12:57 PM'][quote name='Kratos' date='Aug 23 2005, 02:37 AM']Nachtwolf is just saying... <repeating what he just said>[/quote]

He certainly is, but I wasn't referring to that.

Anyway, the question this brings up is, after all the talk about HWPs and stuff:
Are 2x2 units planned to be implemented in a not-so-distant future?
[right][post="129699"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]

For a clear answer,

According to mantis, no.

And I would add : there's a lot of work that is currently more important than this minor feature. Moreover, the gameplay doesn't suffer at all from the lack of Heavy weapon platforms (2x2 units). Edited by nachtwolf

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2X2 units are not needed , why would you want them? all they do is take up space. In ufo you use them to take shots to save your men , but in ufo2000 theres no reason to have them as they will take the place of a man instead , and its not like your men are dead forever once the game is over , they come back each game. Pluss the cost would be huge , would have to be. I cant see any point in 2X2 units , but thats just me Edited by Sporb

• 2 weeks later...
I just thought we can go away from the usual humanoid aliens.

I had the idea of a spiderlike alien, it doesn't have to be really high but it will be wide enough.

:spider:

Commander, they're in the walls!

Also, why not have wheeled battle droids for the humans... simliar to anti-bomb robots.

Flying hover droids...

A huge egglike hovering alien...

Little flying aliens...

Etc. Edited by nachtwolf

[quote name='Violazr' date='Aug 24 2005, 01:17 AM']'Course I know there are more important things at hand, HWPs are inferior to powersuits, and coolness alone is no reason to implement something -

but...

Just the idea of having a 12 ft mech stuffed with rockets and heavy lasers stomp on enemy sectoids makes me smile. :)
[right][post="129761"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Wrong. The Plasma/Hover is in no way inferior to powersuits. Or the Fusion/Hover. :D

It's so funny to see a sectoid take a potshot at your P/H and run around a corner. Then when your tank goes down to look for him, the Sectoid is JUST around the corner facing towards the tank. Last thing Mr. Sectoid sees is the light at the end of the plasma cannon barrel. :D

[quote name='Exo2000' date='Sep 4 2005, 03:35 PM']Wrong. The Plasma/Hover is in no way inferior to powersuits.[/quote]

Wrong.
One veteran with a flying powersuit and good weaponry is almost as good as a HWP, but less of a target, and more flexible.
The main reason in XCOM, however, was that you could pack four such vets instead of one HWP - which was a superior choice by far.

[quote name='Violazr' date='Sep 4 2005, 04:03 PM'][quote name='Exo2000' date='Sep 4 2005, 03:35 PM']Wrong. The Plasma/Hover is in no way inferior to powersuits.[/quote]

Wrong.
One veteran with a flying powersuit and good weaponry is almost as good as a HWP, but less of a target, and more flexible.
The main reason in XCOM, however, was that you could pack four such vets instead of one HWP - which was a superior choice by far.
[right][post="133869"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]

True, but the HWPs were expendable in that sense, and better armoured, with good aim, etc. etc.

Plus, unlike veterans, you could easily replace them. :D

[quote name='Blood Angel' date='Sep 4 2005, 11:12 AM']It would fill my heart with glee to have a 2x2[b]x2[/b] stampy huge robot that could destroy terrain by walking through it.

But that will never happen. *Sigh.*
[right][post="133926"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

You never know actually.

The more I think about it the more I'd see it in the game... it just makes sense going to the front with big powerful armored vehicles.

There's no reason why they would not be more efficient than powersuits in ufo2000.
You use the same tech as a powersuit and make heavy layers of thick armor, and then you use strong boosted weapons over that... it's a monster.

2x2x2 would actually be quite useful, you get a superior position and can fire over some obstacles. Sure it's a huge target but it can have heckovalotofhealth an be heckovalotexpensive.

What if you choose to use a tank or mech? You get less units (points) but you got that huge firepower.

What if you choose not to use one? You might have to deal with one but you got more units (points).

[quote name='Blood Angel' date='Sep 4 2005, 05:12 PM']destroy terrain by walking through it.[/quote]

If I recall correctly, the Biodrones from TFTD left a path of fire wherever they went, so that should be possible.
Or the mech could just have a low-cost "stomp" HTH attack with a little radius.

Hi

After reading about the idea of having some heavy armored vehicles, which in my opinion makes sense having them, occurs to me the idea of an 3X2 vehicle. Some kind of transporter, unarmed, that could carry up to four soldiers. The objective of this vehicle is put soldiers in a fast way in some place of the map. The soldiers being carried by the truck wound't lose TU's. This would occur only after the soldiers had being deployed, and started to move normally. The soldiers could use the truck to shoot, having they're protection increased by the sides of the truck.

I've tried to make a draw in MSpaint, so this ideia could be more perceptible, but unfortunattly i'm no artist, but i hope it can express my idea :blush1:

Comments please =b =p

zoom into 800% on paint :)

I was thinking, what about a robotic unit, costs dirt, but it is loaded with the equivalent of 3 high explosives, which has fixed stats(very high TUs and energy and health, but everything else is tiny, but some armor) and it charges enemies

when it dies, it goes BOOM

Arachnoid description file, please fill in report as more intelligence is gathered.

X-com operatives have just encountered a new specie,

All we have is a sketch that has been made by one of our scouts and some eye witnesses.

We have not seen this specie in large operations yet. It seems rather weak, but fast and agressive.

Attacks have been reported of such a speciment running toward the men and blowing itself up. Althought, the front set of arms can hold a gun as reported by our eye witnesses.

Most specimens are reported to be 1/3 of a Serge in height. Edited by nachtwolf

[quote name='ShellTox' date='Sep 6 2005, 12:14 AM']Hi

After reading about the idea of having some heavy armored vehicles, which in my opinion makes sense having them, occurs to me the idea of an 3X2 vehicle. Some kind of transporter, unarmed, that could carry up to four soldiers. The objective of this vehicle is put soldiers in a fast way in some place of the map. The soldiers being carried by the truck wound't lose TU's. This would occur only after the soldiers had being deployed, and started to move normally. The soldiers could use the truck to shoot, having they're protection increased by the sides of the truck.

I've tried to make a draw in MSpaint, so this ideia could be more perceptible, but unfortunattly i'm no artist, but i hope it can express my idea  :blush1:

Comments please  =b  =p
[right][post="134384"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

The problem is making the troops move with the vehicle in the battlescape if they're going to be on top of it. Personally, whilst it would be nice, I think an easier way of doing it would be to have some sort of 4-seater jeep. Now, you do this like so;

Soldier stands next to jeep door

Player presses "enter" button

Soldier is automagically teleported off the map, but assumed to be inside the jeep for all intents and purposes. They can be selected (the portion of jeep they got in can be selected) and told to leave.

Player selects the "portion" of the jeep containing the soldier and presses "exit" button.

Soldier automagically reappears beside the door to that portion of the jeep. :)

In this case, if the jeep takes damage and is destroyed, all of the passengers are killed, much like destroying one corner of an HWP destroys the entire thing.

I think its a good idea Exo2000, because it would gather all of the ideas:

1- A Heavy transport vehicle
2- A fast way of deploying soldiers
3- Some relative protection for the soldiers, inside the jeep
4- They could shoot from inside
5- The solution for the in/out problem, given by Exo2000 is very good
6- Cause its a jeep, it could have a rifle type weapon on its roof (like a humvee), and it only fires when is a least one soldiers inside

[quote name='Exo2000' date='Sep 6 2005, 01:36 PM']The problem is making them hold it - currently weapons are at a fixed height and all soldiers hold them at that height... convientently. :wink1:
[right][post="134534"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I suggest you have a look at the lua for units, unless I completely misunderstood something, it's quite easy to change the weapons placement.

And the arachnoids have opposable thumbs.. just very small ones
Anyway you wont see that much detail in the battlescape, moreover did you ever notice the muton has no backpack and no pockets whatsoever on the equipment panel? Did you ever care about that or ask yourself "Does the muton have sticky skin to glue items to him?" or "How come can the sectoid have 40 strength and carry 4 rocket on his back?" or "what does alien females look like?" or "Why didn't I turn left on that last stop?" I did... but I found an easy answer : "Well, whatever it's better that way"

As for the huge robotic units...

Well Nachtwolf the sectoid can have 40 strength especially when their psi powers enhance their strength even though most of them don't have mind control or panic attack or levitate. They can still have a some kind of psi strength in them. Just never underestimate a sectoid's powers. ;) Edited by Abyssion

[quote name='Abyssion' date='Sep 12 2005, 01:58 PM']Well Nachtwolf the sectoid can have 40 strength especially when their psi powers enhance their strength even though most of them don't have mind control or panic attack or levitate. They can still have a some kind of psi strength in them. Just never underestimate a sectoid's powers. ;)
[right][post="134625"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Sectoids are weak, like it or not ^_^

• 3 months later...
anyone wanna help me animate zombie? He needs life ... as much life as a zombie can posess i mean.

He's gonna shuffle when he moves, real awkward like and He's going to have the classic zombie arms when he's walking with no items. Edited by Sporb

[quote name='Sporb' date='Dec 13 2005, 06:54 PM']anyone wanna help me animate zombie? He needs life ... as much life as a zombie can posess i mean.

He's gonna shuffle when he moves, real awkward like and He's going to have the classic zombie arms when he's walking with no items.
[right][post="141934"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

maybe.. do you want to animate the walking sequence in one direction and then maybe I or others could imitate what you had in mind in some other directions? do you think the sprite looks a little small compared to the other sprites in the game? it sort of reminds me of one of those brown guys from the old doom game.... theres a thought.. someone could make a mod to bring some old doom sprites into ufo2000

since zombie is just an Xcom rookie with a new texture laid over the top, he's the correct size. Im having heaps of trouble making any anims for him TBH but if ur interested i'd appreciate the help

Now heres a question: should Zombie be able to crouch? he'd probably fall over if he tried but this is UFO2k where men can lug around automatic rocket launchers... Edited by Sporb

[quote name='Sporb' date='Dec 14 2005, 06:57 PM']since zombie is just an Xcom rookie with a new texture laid over the top, he's the correct size. Im having heaps of trouble making any anims for him TBH but if ur interested i'd appreciate the help

Now heres a question: should Zombie be able to crouch? he'd probably fall over if he tried but this is UFO2k where men can lug around automatic rocket launchers...
[right][post="142032"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

its a zombie, they're kind of mindless and bumbling, I dont think they should be able to crouch, maybe they could fall over or something , but not by choice, and then they'd lose time having to get back up .. zombies are supposed to be slow I think..

I haven't made any sprites for x-com yet, but I have made similar sprites for other games, and maybe you can verify something for me before I start..

there are 8 views or angles the sprite can face and 3 of those views can be mirrored(side view and both diagnal views), which means that only 5 views are actually needed. from the example template of the green soldier it looked like there were 8 frames of movement animation and one standing frame for each angle, so 9 frames for each angle, and 5 angles, makes 45 frames... times that by 2 for the carrying of weapons is 90 frames not including death sequence which you seem to have completed.

so does the zombie need the same amount of movement frames as the green soldier?(aside from kneeling frames of corse) .. and should the zombie even carry weapons? Edited by brian-o

about the spider-pic:

i think arachnoids would be a nice idea... but i think the drawing really doesnt look to spiderlike...

maybe we should take mother nature as a source of inspiration?

[url="http://www.xs4all.nl/~ednieuw/Spiders/thumbnails/spidhome_thumbnails.htm"]http://www.xs4all.nl/~ednieuw/Spiders/thum..._thumbnails.htm[/url]

[quote name='Blood Angel' date='Dec 15 2005, 05:37 PM'][quote name='Violazr' date='Aug 24 2005, 01:17 AM'] and coolness alone is no reason to implement something -

[right][post="129761"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Nobody has ever been more wrong.
[right][post="142072"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]

Why else do we have an automatic Rocket Launcher? :D

@ Brian-o: as for zombie falling over, not relly possible at the mo but that is part of my evil plan. In answer to the question about using fewer frames: it is a possibility but currently zombie is aesemetrical (although the frames were copied and edited). its not much of a problem though as the frames can be altered once the anims are created.

[quote name='Llyr' date='Dec 15 2005, 06:01 AM']about the spider-pic:

i think arachnoids would be a nice idea... but i think the drawing really doesnt look to spiderlike...

maybe we should take mother nature as a source of inspiration?

[url="http://www.xs4all.nl/~ednieuw/Spiders/thumbnails/spidhome_thumbnails.htm"]http://www.xs4all.nl/~ednieuw/Spiders/thum..._thumbnails.htm[/url]
[right][post="142049"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Thanks, I'll consider this, but honnestly I'm more concerned about fitting them in the square than their actual shape... it's like trying to fit a live squid in a box.
Reminds me of something... :hmmm: Edited by nachtwolf

I've got an idea how about aliens that can consume corpses for health.
For instance they stand on a tile with a corpse and they could regenerate for exampe 10 health per turn.

think about it
As told by this alien: :icon_alien:
I shot Jack with my plasma gun(:shockwhore: ) and Gary got to try out my new grenades( :explode: ).And as for Peter...well.....let's just say he tastes like chicken. :008:

[quote name='Sporb' date='Dec 13 2005, 06:54 PM']anyone wanna help me animate zombie? He needs life ... as much life as a zombie can posess i mean.

He's gonna shuffle when he moves, real awkward like and He's going to have the classic zombie arms when he's walking with no items.

hmmm here's a rough unrefined version of southward movement, what else needs to be done to this ? Edited by brian-o

[quote name='brian-o' date='Dec 16 2005, 11:58 PM'][quote name='Sporb' date='Dec 13 2005, 06:54 PM']anyone wanna help me animate zombie? He needs life ... as much life as a zombie can posess i mean.

hmmm here's a rough unrefined version of southward movement, what else needs to be done to this ?
[img]http://www.geocities.com/swwc2tc/zombie.gif[/img]
[right][post="142132"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]

Too long for the fall. Have it like a stumble.

to long for the fall?

this is first walking, and then comes the death animation... isn't it?

about death animation: i really like it. it's short and brutal without seeming theatrical. looks damn good :)

about walking: nice too, there's only one little thing that keeps it from beeing perfekt: i think the breast of the beast looks to... static? stationary?
if it would twist just a little bit (to have the impression the hips and shoulders are moving too) than i would give the anim a straight 10 out of 10 :)

[quote name='Llyr' date='Dec 17 2005, 12:59 AM']to long for the fall?

about death animation: i really like it. it's short and brutal without seeming theatrical. looks damn good :)

about walking: nice too, there's only one little thing that keeps it from beeing perfekt: i think the breast of the beast looks to... static? stationary?
if it would twist just a little bit (to have the impression the hips and shoulders are moving too) than i would give the anim a straight 10 out of 10 :)
[right][post="142146"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Take in mind that zombies don't need to follow standard movement rules. :wink1:

Ie; they don't pay attention to biology... :D

[quote name='Llyr' date='Dec 16 2005, 04:59 PM']to long for the fall?

it wasn't a stumble.. it was just the death sequence, and I wanted the death sequence to go backwards so that the transition back to walking would be smoother for this little animated gif..

yeah, I think I will do something to make the body look less static, I caught that too but didn't want to deal with it at the moment, since some other things came up.. I was also kind of wondering if the arms should stick out further, like its having a hard time ballancing. the red square shows the amount of room I have to work with. I was thinking it would be nice if one of the legs could drag , very zombie like, but I didn't want to deal with that with such a small sprite at the moment either... maybe if we get the higher resolution graphics with the twice as large sprites, I or someone else could update it... I'll try to work on some other angles this weekend though..

there's some work to do with the legs I think...
Here are my ideas :

Amplify the movement a bit and maybe make it have a useless leg out of those two. Zombie walk is cooler if they walk on one leg and simply drag the other one around.

Make him drool!!!

Make some parts simply wave as he walks like little pendulums of decaying flesh. Edited by nachtwolf

No! no overworking. Animate first, tweak later. It's not easy to animate stuff (i suck at it) so the main thing is to get a workable animation running first. Its important to note that this zombie will be used to model several varient zombies including skeleton Zombie and eveyones favourite rookie scout zombie. Adding too much flare at this early stage will mean more work later on for other zombies.

Did i mention that once the base animation is down, im alot less useless and can begin to pitch in in earnest.

EDIT: @ Nachtwolf, about the drools, since he's dead and in an advanced stage of decomposition, i doubt he has the bodily fluids avaliable for him to utilise in a slobber stream. He's just too dead. Edited by Sporb

[quote name='Sporb' date='Dec 16 2005, 11:24 PM']EDIT: @ Nachtwolf, about the drools, since he's dead and in an advanced stage of decomposition, i doubt he has the bodily fluids avaliable for him to utilise in a slobber stream. He's just too dead.
[right][post="142176"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Hahaha LOL true, but I stick to my POV for the legs. For the rest, I agree it's overtweaking for this stage.

[quote name='Crusader' date='Dec 16 2005, 02:05 PM']I've got an idea how about aliens that can consume corpses for health.
For instance they stand on a tile with a corpse and they could regenerate for exampe 10 health per turn.

think about it
As told by this alien: :icon_alien:
I shot Jack with my plasma gun(:shockwhore: ) and Gary got to try out my new grenades( :explode: ).And as for Peter...well.....let's just say he tastes like chicken. :008:
[right][post="142122"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

it would be nice if the zombies could revive corpses into zombies,

I had another unit concept for the medieval stuff but I'm not sure if its doable..

berzerkers, sort of like a terror unit, when attacked it would trans-mogrify?(or whatever you call it ) into a more powerful type of unit for a while. this would also work for lycanthropes, or the incredible hulk I suppose. if you controlled some you might agitate them yourself with a weak attack to get them ready, while the opponent of them would avoid hitting them in close combat not wanting them to get tuff next to them. but the opponent wouldn't know if the unit was a lycanthrope or berzerker until its revealed in battle, only the owner of the unit would know.
or maybe nobody would know, and the berzerkers would go berzerk like in x-com and just attack whatever they can even if its on their team, just some ideas, but I'm not really attached to them at the moment. Edited by brian-o

[quote name='Llyr' date='Dec 16 2005, 04:59 PM']to long for the fall?

hmm.. it is kind of difficult to work with so few pixels(these sprites are about 2/3 or 1/2 of what I'm used to.. either its too much movement or too little if you move stuff, so I have to mess with the colors to make it look like movement.. heres what I've done so far to the chest, but I think it needs more work..

I haven't dealt with the hips .. or legs.. I don't think I will change the legs in this direction(feel free to mess with the graphics yourself, anybody), leg dragging would change the posture I think , and I'd rather keep it simple for now..

sporb, you didn't give me a back view of the zombie, do you have one or should I make it myself? Edited by brian-o

[quote name='brian-o' date='Dec 18 2005, 12:05 AM'][img]http://www.geocities.com/swwc2tc/zomsouth.gif[/img]

[right][post="142263"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

hmm... I dunno.. heres what I have so far for the south east, the chest seems a bit static still, and the legs might need some work.. what else?

I'm thinking I might just mirror it to make the south east frames and mirror the west as east, and the northwest as northeast to get it done sooner.. Edited by brian-o

its just his torso that needs a little mostion added, an up/down bobbing like youve added on the north facing movement should do fine.

impressive. he walks like a ufo2k character should :D

and if you want to mirror the frames, i can swoop in an unique-ify them so it they look like the standing frames only moving Edited by Sporb