XCOMUFO & Xenocide

SND - ACTIVE SFX - Xenium Reactor

hatfarm

As I said before, I think this fits a Xenium reactor perfectly.

I'd also like to propose an innovation in the needed sounds. There are a few different sizes of ufos. Therefor it seems interesting to me to have different sounds according to the size of the ufo. A larger ufo needs more Xenium reactors and reproduces a bigger sound. Maybe it would be nice to have deeper sounds for larger ships and lighter sounds for smaller ships. Any comments?

btw, great work!

cheers,

ATeX

It sounds great to me, i love it, good job

Atex, i think perhaps laying 3 of those on top of each other to see what it sounds like would be cool, and you could check that out to see if it sounds better for multiple reactors

Edit: K, i was wondering about that, but i, sadly, know very little about making music, i can only do some basic guitar stuff

BTW, what do you guys use to make that kind of music and sounds and stuff? I would be glad to try and teach myself, it would be very hard, but i would try

Edited by blehm

blehm, I know that seems to be the most logical solution, but layering 3 exact same sounds on top of each other creates Chorus. Not a good idea. Then, using the same sound in the game engine and pitching it higher or lower real time gives an amateur feel. So the best thing to do is to create several different sounds depending on the size of the ufo.

btw, it's not about "how to reach the idea" but "the idea" itself.

cheers,

ATeX

Edited by ATeX

That sound is cool! It reminds me of a (hi-tech) electricity generator. Dunno if a "Xenium" reactor would need a more sci-fi twist, alas I don't really know what it would eventually need :P

So:

1) Light scouts

2) Medium ships

3) Heavy ships (Battleship for example)

4) Harvester

These should IMO be the sounds, 1 being the weaker and 4 being the most "powerful". Remember, harvesters had many reactors (4, or was it 6?)

And Blehm, you may like this one:

http://img323.imageshack.us/img323/8359/untitled19cu.jpg

Harvesters? They only had 2. The battleships had 4.

Anyways, will it be like there are areas on the battlescape map that emit sound? If implanted wrong that could be a bad clue on where stuff are (this noise over an area signals an UFO), so maybe the sounds played will be triggered of which soldiers is selected, on not where you are viewing?

Implanting aside, I like this sound. I think this fits a medium sized craft, I like the idea on diffrent sounds for diffrent sized crafts.

The only problem I see with it, is that if played too much it get's repetetive, and the sound goes right into the ears, and would start to hurt if played over and over again... Making the volume lower should solve this (50%)

Edited by mikker

Small Scouts - None

Medium and large scouts - 1

Abductors - 2

Supply ships and harvesters - 3

Terror Ships, Battleships - 4

so that is a total of 3 different sounds, although perhaps you might want to make even more for the individual ships

After thinking further on this matter it seems best to create different sounds for each ship as each ship has a different structure. This makes the sounds resonate differently in each ship. So the sfx should be better created individually. That makes 8 different sounds.

cheers,

ATeX

After thinking further on this matter it seems best to create different sounds for each ship as each ship has a different structure. This makes the sounds resonate differently in each ship. So the sfx should be better created individually. That makes 8 different sounds.

Well, I can work on these as I have some pretty nice reverb plugins. Tell me where I can find a list of all eight crafts and I'll start working. This one is actually the same sound three times already but with different amounts of reverb and also some pitch shifting to reduce chorus. I won't go into what it was sampled from as it's boring but yeah. Thanks for all the really good input.

Sounds great! To make it even better I'd like to ask you to add a very low frequency bass to the large scout. I'd also be great to extend this bass in a linear way to larger ships. I don't know if you understand frequencies and the effect of narrowing and widening them with EQ. But I think that's the way you should add this bass accordingly to each ship. The bigger the ship, the wider the bass. It'll definately add some more depth. This could become professional!

Good job!

cheers,

ATeX

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...