XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Sorting Soldier Utility

This is a small utility I wrote for sorting the soldiers, it is the very first version and I'm not sure if I'll ever add some funcionality, like sorting by such a criterium included in the command line.

Now you have just two options: either you order all of them, by placing in order the numbers they got for their current sorting (being 0 the first on th elist and so the first to go out the skyrangers) or selecting one soldier and moving him/her to a new position.

I thinks its work is clearly enough while you see it's questions while running, so not readme is given, just a the zipped exe.

You have to extract it in the game directory, so when it asks you for the game you want to edit finds it.

Open the command line, go to the directory and type soldman.

I guess you can use it while playing, but I haven't tried it (I notice this just now). Later I'll check it and edit this to tell you for sure.

P.D. - As you see below that short is a typo, of course my proggy doesn't make them midgets ;), but I have no will to upload it again.

ShortSoldier.zip

Edited by Admiral Harkov

Oops! I knew something sounded wrong with short. :hammer:

I checked that and it seems the game loads the file from the start and then my program doesn't change it while running. Well, you always can save, exit and load after modifying the sorting.

EDITED: Exit doesn't mind go to windows, but abandon game | Yes | Load game.

Edited by Admiral Harkov

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...

Nice editor, but I wonder why the huge size? At 442kb it's almost as large as the CE executable of X-COM itself. OMG

- Zombie

• 11 months later...

Meh, I lost password then got my attention off X-COM and stopped looking around before the second to last post.

Wew, I didn't even remember I had done something like this ever.

Not that I'm expecting much interest as we have xcomutils and other patches doing it, but if there's interest I may try to dig it from my old back up CDs.

As for Zombie's question, I did it when I was starting to learn C/C++ and was done to help having the soldiers sorted as player wants and to practice my programming, so I guess the file size is due to the compiling options; at the start I didn't use the compiler's optimization options and that affects the exe's size big time. If I had fed the -O2 I guess the size would have dropped below 20KB

Edited by Admiral Harkov