XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Xcom Field Manual Comments And A Special Idea

haarlkss

Dear Xcom fans

I just got my broadband up again and searched the entire internet for hardcore xcom fans like you. This work in progress is very good. I can only congratulate you.

Will read the field manual and post my comments here in this post as a followup.

I have a project in progress. Will shake your xcom world as you know it. Blast in every community online. You are the only ones knowing it. It is as secret as the X-Com organisation itself. Will remain secret for the time beeing. Accesible only by those who believe and want to contribute. Nothing more. I can answer only need to know questions.

hint: THE FIRST ALIEN WAR is about to become real

in the imagination of those who lived it through the pc!!!

waiting your comments, this is the first post of many to come....

• 2 weeks later...
Dear Xcom fans

I just got my broadband up again and searched the entire internet for hardcore xcom fans like you. This work in progress is very good. I can only congratulate you.

Will read the field manual and post my comments here in this post as a followup.

I have a project in progress. Will shake your xcom world as you know it. Blast in every community online. You are the only ones knowing it. It is as secret as the X-Com organisation itself. Will remain secret for the time beeing. Accesible only by those who believe and want to contribute. Nothing more. I can answer only need to know questions.

hint: THE FIRST ALIEN WAR is about to become real

in the imagination of those who lived it through the pc!!!

waiting your comments, this is the first post of many to come....

hmmm And what might that be pray tell?

• 6 months later...
Yet another 'great, ground-shaking X-Com project' who died, they all do, eventually. Only one who has survived long enough to actually have something on their hands is UFO2000, and looks like UFO: AI might have some survival chance too.

Technically some of it is still active as part of the X-Com Wiki. It is not a complete field manual as was envisaged, it does however allow the content to be updated.

- NKF

• 4 months later...

Heh. I just liked the idea of this:

"Alright recruit! Here's how it goes. You send your buddy ahead to spot for you. When he sees something you can't see, you shoot at it because that means it can't see you to fire back."

"Uh... what?!"

"We are fighting a-lee-ins son! Desperate times call for desperate measures!"

"But Sergeant, how can I..."

"Don't ask questions you maggot! Just do it!"

You guys have been up to a lot of neat stuff. I only just started picking up serious web design/programming skills in the last year or so, so I didn't really check out these sections when I first jointed but I'm a pro writer, a DOM scripter, know some PHP/MySQL, and I'm learning C# atm. I'm interested in learning Python too.

I take it Xenocide's more or less stalled to a crawl. Do you guys have a design doc and a UML for it? With that many voluntary cooks in the kitchen it must be hard to keep things organized.

This is me: :D

http://www.amazon.com/Primas-Official-Stra...8495&sr=8-1

I'm very proud of the glowing review I gave myself. I also used to write for Game Informer.

Feel free to e-mail me if you have future projects in mind. I'm all booked up until the end of this summer term though.

[email protected]

• 1 month later...
Heh. I just liked the idea of this:

"Alright recruit! Here's how it goes. You send your buddy ahead to spot for you. When he sees something you can't see, you shoot at it because that means it can't see you to fire back."

"Uh... what?!"

"We are fighting a-lee-ins son! Desperate times call for desperate measures!"

"But Sergeant, how can I..."

"Don't ask questions you maggot! Just do it!"

I justify it to myself by saying they're using some kind of LandWarrior type system to tag the targets.

If anyone here has played FarCry, you'll know that the binoculars tag targets, and represent their last known position with an icon (brackets in this case). Now, imagine this system was networked across the entire team. One guy could move forward as spotter for the team, and they'd all be able to see (and target) an alien even without line-of-sight.

How's that for a plausible r-l explanation of a game mechanic?