XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART-Ventriculant

It looks very good, I just didnt want to disturb or bias the Task Force with my comments. What about some places in the top with a more alien alloy look, as I think that the Ventriculant is the one that digest people to create alien alloys.

Greetings

Red Knight

Thanks, RK. I was under the impression that it was just digesting genetic material to add to the catalogue. I'll research it further.

I take it you don't like it, Zipperhead? In order to adjust it or to reassess it, I need to get feel of what you guys are going for. I need more information. I could sit up here and simply go yay or nay to what you guys produce, but in order for this to be a collabourative effort, we must communicate.

Edited by fux0r666

I looked in the completed tasks ctd forum and the ventriculant autopsy thread says something about it feeding on corpses and having cancer, but nothing about alien aloys save for a mention about it's internal propulsion system.

I like the design, definitely a unique concept. The translucent look would be very nice as well. I can see making an outer skin that is easy to see through, and them making some simple organs within that would be animated, like a beating heart or dark shapes moving around. If you've seen the xray film of someone eating and swallowing, that's the sort of action I'm picturing as fitting this. I personally like the concept, and it won't be too difficult to build as well. Cylinder UV mapping to the rescue! :D I'm too busy to tackle it, but whoever models this, I think leaving the "ribs" and snout sticking straight out until a template texture is mapped will make life much easier. Then the stuff can be bent to position etc. (I guess that's obvious, but just in case...)

To be honest I don't ( but this is just me ) I don't know why, it just looks a bit lame (the concept not the drawing your drawings skills kick arse) though the exo-ribs are pretty cool....

I can say that it doesnt look very aggresive, but some aliens (even if terror aliens) can have other reasons to be there. Similar blob aliens in XCom didnt look very aggresive though.

Maybe the coloring doesnt help and you can make the exoskeleton stand a little more for an effect. And give the mouth a more creepy look ( Dont ask me how to do that, I have no clue ).

Greetings

Red Knight

Perhaps you can try attaching the sack to the outer ribs? So it looks like the ribs are there for supporting the sack, right now there purpose remains unclear. So, when empty there are some slimy fleeces hanging loosely between those ribs, and when full it doesn't look like a balloon but some sort of external stomach attached to those ribs? And I can see RK's point about making the mouth more menacing, I'd say by taking that 4-tentacle mouth you posted in the reaper concepts thread, fux. (although tentacles on practically every terror unit might be overdoing it a bit :) )

The translucent body is also nice, can we actually see it gobble up a killed human and follow that through the digestive system? :D - What's that? Oh, this game should be for all ages... :(

There is no need for them because the mass is supported by the tail. I don't know how I could make that work. I agree that something should be added to the abdomen portion, but i was thinking something more dorsal.

I think that the irregular shape of the biomass would be lost of we needed to skin in a set of ribs. I wanted the cancerous mass to look unnatural and superfluous.

Edited by fux0r666

Well, this one will be original at least :)

I can see what you mean with the ribs, but what if you add some bony ridges in/on the tail? Makes it more obvious it can bear a lot of weight and is supporting the cancerbelly :)

And what are those circles under its, ehhr, spike? Eyes? Does it need them?

If so, how about lifting the end of the mouth more upwards so it comes more horizontal (while remaining at roughly the same height) and placing those eyes right behind the mouth? On second thought, since it can fly the placement of the mouth isn't all that important as long as it has good mobility...

• 3 weeks later...

This is based on the latest scetch. The ribs are wrong and its missing that strange muscular mass in its belly, but what do you think of it otherwise?

pallo.jpg

EDIT: Pic re-uploaded. Strange are the inner workings of IPB. ^_^

Edited by fidel_

Hmm, I deleted your double post, and suddenly this post did no longer have it's attachment, but a instead :huh?: . Looks like you'll have to reupload, sorry. Anyway, I think it looked good, I can imagine a player thinking 'what the heck is it gonna do?' ^_^

That looks awesome. I think this design is very nice and unique, and you should roll with it from there.

I say go with it. Fidel already has a base on the model done and it shouldn't be too hard to wrap this up from there.

great work guys.