XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Roadwar

j'ordos

AHHH

You totally just screwed my game up! XD!!!

All my ground vehicles have 35000000 Hp or something like that

and maxed armour!

not to mention the new retribution missles dont work

and neither do the justice..

Put up your last ver please so I can attempt to fix it >>

edit: Screw it Im reinstalling :P

Good idea for the built in missle defense though! :D

Edited by NRN_R_Sumo1

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you using the german version? I noticed a typo in the program code, which would also explain why the justice & retribution didn't work. Unfortunately I can't really test how the program works with the german version.

Couldn't find any error in the english version so far.

Try version 1.01.

Edited by j'ordos

Im using the english collectors edition from Alex-God :x

Edit: I think I found out what the problem was, the Backup file.

The first time I ran It I restored it, knowing that it wasnt really even there.

for some reason the backup that was created uber'd my vehicles.. O_o..

Unless the backup file was there from a test of this a long time back seeing if the roads were really invulnerable..

although that REALLY wouldnt explain the 200 health hoverbikes <_<..

or the 900 valk's and the hovercars with 700.

Just looked at the stats on the X-Com vehicles with Apoc'd.

Man its all screwed up now.

Im gonna delete all backups and reinstall again :|

Edit: FIXED! :D

I was right, it was indeed the backup.

I still have no idea how I had such a HORRENDOUS backup file in there.. but it was there and it's being restored screwed everything up ^^'..

Edited by NRN_R_Sumo1

• 2 years later...

As Freebasic also has a compiler for DOS I decided to use it for my next version of roadwar. It seems to work fine, both under DOSbox and Windows XP. But before going any further I'd like to be sure it doesn't cause any problems for (most) others. Anyone out there willing to test it? Thanks!

edit: get latest version instead. Not compatible with DOS though :(

Edited by j'ordos

• 2 months later...
As Freebasic also has a compiler for DOS I decided to use it for my next version of roadwar. It seems to work fine, both under DOSbox and Windows XP. But before going any further I'd like to be sure it doesn't cause any problems for (most) others. Anyone out there willing to test it? Thanks!

using your newest Freebasic version (the only version I have used) I noticed that not all of your changes were even available. Is it because my previous answers precluded them from showing? Here are the ones that did not show:

?Do you wish to increase civilian ground vehicles' chance to get hit?

?Do you wish to alter the price of the stormdog?

?Do you wish to use an alternate GLM array?

?Do you wish to allow ground vehicles to mount alien weapons? (Though I did get one that was something along the lines of did I wish to allow ground vehicles to use alternate weapons... something like that. Note that I did answer no to that, and maybe it prevented me from getting the next questions.)

?Replace following weapon with a disruptor AA turret :

?Do you wish to enable R&D of the Disruptor AA Turret?

?Do you wish to increase the range of all ground weapons?

?Do you wish to increase the speed of all ground projectiles?

?Do you wish to improve road engine speeds?

Now this is no big deal to me, as I only wanted a few of the options in this mod, but I found it peculiar. On trying to play the game, I have also found that the firing arc mod is causing my units to not fire at all.

Edited by Talon81

I have removed a lot of options from the mod which I thought were rather useless. The alien weapons on ground vehicles mod is still there, but I changed it's name as it now also allows the plasma multi system to be mounted on ground vehicles.

Looks like there is indeed a bug which messes up the firing arcs, I'll fix it ASAP, thanks for the report!

Well, on further testing, Im finding a lot of problems.

E-115 is working

Capital ships plasma defense, while I did not SEE it working, the weapon is mounted, so....

My rumble cannon seems to have totally non-visible, and non-modifiable weapons/engine/equipment on the equip screen. On the cityscape, I can see it has a rumble cannon, but Im not sure it works. Its definitely not 360 degrees if it is working. It also has no machine gun, and neither do my other road vehicles

Road and pillars increased strength does seem to be working, but I did not test much. I am playing this after 11 years since my last time playing, so I dont remember for sure how easily they normally got destroyed.

Out of curiosity, I tried the version posted on the front page (Dec 17, 2007). It gave me a file size warning (I am using Steam version) and I believe that is the reason things are not working any better for me with that version.

OK I updated the archive in my previous post (not the main one). The bugs should be fixed but I can't say for sure that it will work for the steam version. Or the german version for that matter. Let me know!

I recommend you restore the backup of UFO2P.EXE if you haven't made any other changes yet.

Edited by j'ordos

• 3 weeks later...

I've found a fix for the overspawn: if you set it's top AND rear armor to something very high (100) it will no longer take damage from falling debris. Unfortunately that also means it is impossible to shoot it from behind or directly above. Give it a few rumble cannons for extra fun :)

I'll add the fix to roadwar ASAP.

• 1 month later...
I just tried out the latest version of Roadwar (12/27/2009) on a fresh install of the Steam version of Apocalypse -- it zero'd out my citymap.dat file (i.e., the file in now 0 bytes in size). Also, oddly, it seemed to remove a backup version of citymap.dat that I had in a sibling folder that held a backup copy of the game. The only thing I set on Roadwar was the road armor level to option 3 (85 points).

That's odd, hasn't happened here. Did it at least create a backup of citymap.dat correctly? (citymap.bak in the ufodata folder, or, if you have apoc'd installed, apoc'bak\ufodata\citymap.dat) If so, could you tell me the size of your citymap.dat file?

edit: also, what was the name of your backup folder?

Edited by j'ordos

I just tried out the latest version of Roadwar (12/27/2009) on a fresh install of the Steam version of Apocalypse -- it zero'd out my citymap.dat file (i.e., the file in now 0 bytes in size). Also, oddly, it seemed to remove a backup version of citymap.dat that I had in a sibling folder that held a backup copy of the game. The only thing I set on Roadwar was the road armor level to option 3 (85 points).
This...ahem...sounds familiar.

Steam installs a DOSBox with a minimal install of Apocalypse; Apoc'd doesn't play well with that. Missing files end up being converted to zero length. I recovered from trying to edit the Novice city level (making Novice games unstartable) by using a ZIP archive from my deceased Win95/W2K system to convert the game to a full install.

Great <_ well i wasn aware of that suppose should have looked into the folder structure minimal and standard installations though. so where steam version keep it critical game files then since there no physical cd>

I thought I programmed checks for every file opening action though, so you should get an error instead of a empty file. (At least it does so when it can't find UFO2P.EXE)

The full set of game files seem to be contained within the CD.ISO file that Steam installs along with the other Apocalypse files -- I just burned that iso file to a disk, and I can see CITYMAP.DAT and a LOT more other loose files on that disk -- it seems like it's just the original game disk, as it has INSTALL.EXE, AUTORUN.INF, the README.TXT, etc. on it as well.

I don't know much about DoxBox, but when DosBox starts up, one of the messages it gives is "D: is mounted as CD.ISO", so maybe it's reading the game file contents directly from the ISO image file, for the files that aren't installed as loose files in the minimal install

So, I have more questions now:

1. Is there some way of getting steam to do a full install? (I would guess not, and probably this isn't the right forum for that question).

How are other people getting RoadWar and APOC_D to work with the Steam version of Apocalypse (or do those tools/mods just work partially, or not at all with the Steam version)?

Since I seem to have all the loose game files on the disk I burned from CD.ISO, I suppose I could just copy all the main file folders from the XCOM3 directory on the disk (e.g., UFODATA, UFOEXE, etc) to my file system, or actually run the INSTALL.EXE (if that works) to see where stuff gets put. Does any know if Apocalypse expects you to have a full install or a mininal install, with nothing in between? Or does it look first on your hard drive for a file, and then on the CD if it doesn't find it -- if it's the latter, I could probably just go with the minimal steam install, but copy the particular files that RoadWar and APOC_D need to change to my hard drive from the disk I burned

Well, I guess I can experiment some more tomorrow unless someone already knows.

Well it sounds like the original, complete CD so the install.exe should work like normal if you want to do a full install. (barring usual compatibility problems). Anyway since you've burned the CD all you really have to do is search for a file called citymap.dat and put it in the ufodata folder of the installed game. According to Zaimoni's post it looks like the game first looks for the file on the HD and then goes on to check the CD. Other options are opening the ISO with winrar, or mounting the ISO and copying the file.

For apoc'd you'll need a few more files, citymap1-5.bld and Alienmap.dat. Perhaps I can just upload those files for those that are in this situation (these files are the same for every version AFAIK) if there aren't any legal issues.

Edited by j'ordos

Yeah, I ran install.exe last night, and it did work. Suprisingly to me, it worked directly from WinXP by just clicking on it -- i didn 't even have to run it in DosBox. It was confused and gave me a couple warnings about buffer sizes and disk speed, but it did complete the full install -- haven't had a chance to test it yet though.

I think it would be helpful to have either a list of all the files that are used by RoadWar and Apoc_D that are NOT in the minimum install (in this forum or in your docs), or you could actually upload the files as you suggest (here, or as part of your tools).

I don't think uploading the files would be a legal problem -- it should be what they refer to as "fair use", since obtaining those few files won't allow anyone who hasn't purchased the game to play it for free. Still, it shouldn't be necessary since anyone with a valid Steam install can get those files from the ISO image in the ways we've discussed above.

Yup pretty much what I believe as well :) And I'll update the readme files with some instructions on required files!

Do the exe changes (everything besides the stronger road patches) work for anyone? It's refusing to write any changes here, even though it reports all write actions a success. Maybe it's just windows acting up.

edit: OK, seems like it does that when you close the program before it reached the end, that kinda sucks.

edit2: It's out, get it from the first post (1.06)

Edited by j'ordos

• 3 weeks later...

Another new version, 1.07 allows you to increase the number of building security guards and base raiders during tactical missions. More loot but more risk :)

edit: while I was at it I also put in an option to force building security guards presence during alien investigations. Do let me know if you encounter any problems with these mods as I did not test them extensively.

Edited by j'ordos

Oh, snap. You're still active 'round here?

None the less, security guards can be helpful, but also a threat! If you're hostile to the organisation, or worse; Brainsuckers.

I really like Roadwar, but vehicles are still... Really useless. Even though I tripled their engine speed and power, they still can't do much. The UFOs passes over a wall and the roadies has to go all the way around.

Still, the other stuff is great! Much luuuv.

Going to try the new version.

Edited by MiniMacker

edit: while I was at it I also put in an option to force building security guards presence during alien investigations. Do let me know if you encounter any problems with these mods as I did not test them extensively.

If they are hostile to the aliens will they shoot them on the battlefield?

EDIT: Just checked the .txt file :) I am going to test this now :)

EDIT2: Just tested it a bit. Here are my findings:

- X-COM has security guards! They appear at least at the Recyclotorium (I haven't tested any base defense yet). And you can access their inventory and squad assignment screens before battle. It is also possible to control them by assigning at least 1 of your agents to their squads.

- Megapol investigation missions just became much easier. By the time I discovered the aliens the police had already taken down 3 of them. I also saw a police officer being brainsucked and started wondering if it might be a better idea to just let the police do it first and then go for whatever survived: I wouldn't like to be caught in the crossfire.

- You can turn the guards against you by killing them during combat. How many it depends on their attitude towards you but you might start thinking twice before taking down any non-hostile gang member.

Edited by Hobbes

Crap, I tested a mission in an X-Com base (not a base defense mission, in that case the code that spawns guards is never called, but a mission in the building the base was settled in) and it worked fine, no xcom guards there. The Xcom recyclotorium is a bug anyway. :) edit: must've done an inproper check because the guards do spawn in your base's host buildings as well... Oh well, alien investigations in those buildings are pretty infrequent

It'll definitely be easier, guards are good distractions for poppers and brainsuckers, and early in the game they are more than capable of dispatching the aliens by themselves, but I still liked the idea.

I really like Roadwar, but vehicles are still... Really useless. Even though I tripled their engine speed and power, they still can't do much. The UFOs passes over a wall and the roadies has to go all the way around.

Increasing engine power never did much good so I removed the option from the latest version. Road vehicles still are useless compared to flying ones, but when stationed near the dimension gates they can do some good damage against slower UFOs

Edited by j'ordos

I was too lazy to see if the organisation guards would shoot at the aliens even at the start (When they are 'neutral'). So I took the easy way and just edited the savefile to make them all hostile. Unfortunately, I got distracted by the 415 thousands guards that came at me.

Don't get me wrong, it was hilarious and really tense. I loaded half my squads with cannons and Incendiary and the whole building was just one huge bonfire.

Nearly lost a few good soldiers because of all the damned fire...

I'm getting off track. I'm going to test it further with 'eyyy'-lien infiltrators later today.

shuckeroonies, I got off track again.

Do you have to make the organisations hostile to the alien before the guards do anything? Like, at a new game, they're all 'neutral', right? (Except for Megapol and the Government or something)

And since I edited the Savegame file to make them hostile in the beginning (Just to be sure). If they get 100% infiltrated, will it set to allied? Or keep the Hostile stance?

Conflicts, conflicts...

err, yeah. If you could make anything out of the mess above.

At the start of the game all organizations are neutral towards the aliens (or friendly, like the Cult) except for the Government and Megapol. You can check out the UFOPaedia page for a quick overview: http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Organizations

When neutral the guards will not fire, so you need to edit all organizations and set their stance towards the aliens as hostile. At that point they will shoot aliens, but the aliens won't fire back since they also are neutral towards most organizations. Of course that will change quickly once a few aliens are killed by the guards, but a faster way would be to edit the aliens relations' towards all organizations as hostile. Include the Civilian 'organization' so they will also hunt those. :devillaugh:

Most likely the game will just set the relations on both sides to allied once the organization is infiltrated.

edit: by the way, I think there's a bug in the xcom apocalypse code; it looks like it uses the Corporate Hood unit type for base raids instead of the security guard. (Gangsters, cultists and police units are fine though)

Edited by j'ordos

edit: by the way, I think there's a bug in the xcom apocalypse code; it looks like it uses the Corporate Hood unit type for base raids instead of the security guard. (Gangsters, cultists and police units are fine though)

What do you mean?

An X-Com base raid or when aliens attack, or a (For example) X-Com raid on the Cult?

Edit: Oh, and I'm too much of a coward to make the civilians hostile to the aliens... I can't imagine the score penalty that will follow. not to mention that the orgs will be PISSED.

Edited by MiniMacker

I also noticed this when I was scouring the older threads...

You'd be absolutely happy to know that the civilians are non-issues in Mega Primus. They aren't even considered when it comes to funding or relationship shifts.

The Mega Primus government only cares about your activity levels being in the positive, while organizations let you get away with a lot of things as long as it doesn't include property damage. They get rather tetchy when you rip up the carpet, but don't even blink when they hear of poor old running-yellow-hat-lady being killed in the crossfire. Even the aliens don't really take notice of the civilians.

You can probably imagine the sort of utopia Mega Primus is from how they think about their citizens. ;)

- NKF

Can anyone confirm the above?

Civilians are just an annoyance, moving your Aggressive stance soldiers all of the time.

I meant a raid by a hostile organization (that is not megapol, cult or gang) on an X-com base.

Yep, civvies are worthless in Xcom Apocalypse, there's no score penalty and no relations hit when they get killed, or even when they are killed by you. (well I suppose the Civilian 'organization' might get mad at you when you do that)

Started a new game using the increased guards and such.

The initial stun raids were very nice... plenty of loot, although there was a freak accident at the megapol arms factory that cost me an agent and four cops got killed in the process. With the loot decided to bust some cultist heads, so I sent a squad with only heavy and minilaunchers.

Then the first alien alert came by the government. By the time I found the aliens the guards had already taken care of them with plenty of explosive ammo. Nice but freaky.

Well this just got somewhat redundant as with the help of Seb's excellent disassembler skills I now know Unknown 5 in the Organizations section (cityscape) of Apoc'd is the average number of guards to spawn for base raids and building raids. The game will create guards from 75% to 125% of that average number, capped at 20 (the roadwar fix basically just turns the cap upside down, ensuring a minimum of 20 guards in all cases.)

Note that if you edit unknown 5 you will have to start a new game to see the effect.

edit: aha, xcom guards only spawn if you have the extra guards enabled, I didn't botch the test after all, I just wasn't thorough :) Under normal circumstances, Xcom has an average of 0 guards (=no guards, period) but since the extra guards fix always sets it to 20 anyway they're there. (if 'guards always present' isn't also enabled they won't appear though, unless you somehow got hostile towards yourself). In the next version I'll probably change the extra guards option to an option to alter that hard-coded limit of 20. There's still a limit of 36 units per side though, and after that a global limit of 60 units on the battlefield (during unit creation anyway).

Edited by j'ordos

Well this just got somewhat redundant as with the help of Seb's excellent disassembler skills I now know Unknown 5 in the Organizations section (cityscape) of Apoc'd is the average number of guards to spawn for base raids and building raids. The game will create guards from 75% to 125% of that average number, capped at 20 (the roadwar fix basically just turns the cap upside down, ensuring a minimum of 20 guards in all cases.)

Note that if you edit unknown 5 you will have to start a new game to see the effect.

edit: aha, xcom guards only spawn if you have the extra guards enabled, I didn't botch the test after all, I just wasn't thorough :) Under normal circumstances, Xcom has an average of 0 guards (=no guards, period) but since the extra guards fix always sets it to 20 anyway they're there. (if 'guards always present' isn't also enabled they won't appear though, unless you somehow got hostile towards yourself). In the next version I'll probably change the extra guards option to an option to alter that hard-coded limit of 20. There's still a limit of 36 units per side though, and after that a global limit of 60 units on the battlefield (during unit creation anyway).

Another side effect that I have been noticing is that battle maps now seem to come in large ones because of the number of units present. Stun raids are even more profitable now because of the loot from captured weapons.

I might be able to 'fix' that stun raiding bug by changing the current check (guards only appear if the organization is hostile during investigations). It might crash if you try to raid and there are no units because the org wasn't hostile though.

edit: that seems to work, if you try to press the raid button on a non-hostile corp the screen becomes slightly garbled, but stays in the building screen and you can go back to the cityscape without problems.

Edited by j'ordos

I might be able to 'fix' that stun raiding bug by changing the current check (guards only appear if the organization is hostile during investigations). It might crash if you try to raid and there are no units because the org wasn't hostile though.

edit: that seems to work, if you try to press the raid button on a non-hostile corp the screen becomes slightly garbled, but stays in the building screen and you can go back to the cityscape without problems.

And you still get the loot laying on the ground?

And you still get the loot laying on the ground?

Nope, the game doesn't go to the battlescape, no random equipment is generated (I assume)

I updated the archive (again). 1.08 adds an option to disable stun raiding, and the options to increase building guards and raiders have been changed to increase the hard-coded limit of 20. To actually increase the number of guards you will need to download apoc'd :naughty: and edit the security guards/Unknown 5 field in the cityscape -> organizations/funding section.

edit: important note: before installing the new version you should first disable the old guards always present and increased guards/raiders mods!! (you may want to keep the increased guards/raiders if you don't want to use apoc'd though you better keep the old roadwar as well in that case)

Edited by j'ordos

Well that was weird. I made every organisation hostile with the aliens at the start of my new game. And instead of dropping aliens into buildings, they attacked a Megapol police station. And a Valkyre and Airhawk popped up, blowing them to bits (Alien Scout and Alien Probe).

This brings two questions. Why didn't they bring those out instead of sending the measly Cop cars.

And; Since they're hostile to eachother, will the aliens always be attacking everyone's buildings (Even in early play?)

Edited by MiniMacker

This brings two questions. Why didn't they bring those out instead of sending the measly Cop cars.

It all part of the police conspiracy to take over Mega-Primus and impose a martial dictatorship, if you believe in some of the local media.

Another way to look at it is: imagine they turn hostile to X-COM. Wouldn't flying on Mega-Primus turn very dangerous?

And; Since they're hostile to eachother, will the aliens always be attacking everyone's buildings (Even in early play?)

Likely. I'm actually curious to see what happens. Can you try it out a little more?

Edited by Hobbes

Normally the Aliens will stick to their preplanned flight plan, doesn't matter how hostile they are towards any organization. Since probes and scouts normally never attack, is it possible you edited the UFO missions some time ago?

edit: don't download the new version yet (or do, but keep the old one), it looks like there is some side effect which causes the guards to receive no equipment! I'll look into it.

edit2: well false alarm it seems... Still, keep the old version when downloading the new one and let me know if something doesn't work!

Edited by j'ordos

Normally the Aliens will stick to their preplanned flight plan, doesn't matter how hostile they are towards any organization. Since probes and scouts normally never attack, is it possible you edited the UFO missions some time ago?

edit: don't download the new version yet (or do, but keep the old one), it looks like there is some side effect which causes the guards to receive no equipment! I'll look into it.

edit2: well false alarm it seems... Still, keep the old version when downloading the new one and let me know if something doesn't work!

I'm sticking to 1.07 a bit longer to explore the current settings. Just had a mission at the Marsec Flyer Factory that set them hostile against me. Fortunately didn't happen during the game (must have been the building damage that did it) but I killed a few guards in the crossfire. It would have been a disaster if they started shooting at me while I was finishing the aliens.

Well, to be able to make the guards shoot the aliens. I made the organisations hostile to the aliens. And now at day 1, 23:00 when the first UFO incursion occurred, I shot 'em down. And suddenly, I'm friendly with nearly everyone.

This is probably how it SHOULD have been done.

Shoot down aliens = Happy organisations.

Raid their offices = Angry organisations.

Al though being it's the first DAY, and the first UFO incursion, I find it a bit extreme.

Well, to be able to make the guards shoot the aliens. I made the organisations hostile to the aliens. And now at day 1, 23:00 when the first UFO incursion occurred, I shot 'em down. And suddenly, I'm friendly with nearly everyone.

Al though being it's the first DAY, and the first UFO incursion, I find it a bit extreme.

During a normal game as it progresses more organizations will become hostile to the aliens in addiition to Megapol and the Government. You can also use the manual control feature during air combats to make the aliens shoot and hit buildings instead of your craft. And when the Overspawns start getting dropped that won't make their owners to view the aliens very favorably.

You could also just make the aliens hostile towards everyone (save for the cult perhaps) but leave all the others neutral towards the aliens. That way the aliens get a free first shot at the guards, but as soon as they kill a few all heck breaks loose and Xcom gains another ally, though only one instead of all of them at once.

You could also just make the aliens hostile towards everyone (save for the cult perhaps) but leave all the others neutral towards the aliens. That way the aliens get a free first shot at the guards, but as soon as they kill a few all heck breaks loose and Xcom gains another ally, though only one instead of all of them at once.

Now how's this for fun? First day and you can't buy anything because everybody dislikes you. When the first alien alert appeared I sent 4 soldiers to have a look. Megapol officers didn't even blink at my units so I stun raided them.

Edited by Hobbes

I found out I had only edited X-COM's attitude towards other organizations (resulting that I couldn't increase the speed of cityscape to maximum because of all the hostile craft).

This also generated a strange behaviour: when I sent the Valkyrie to the first site 2 Megapol Hovercars lifted from buildings and started conducting patrols without attacking anyone. Made me wonder if it is something built into the code, that when an organization hostile to Megapol launches craft the police will automatically scramble their Hovercars as a precautionary measure (even if Megapol is not hostile to that organization).

I went back to apoc'd and properly edited all the relationships to make everybody hostile to X-COM and the Aliens. I kept X-COM's attitudes as they are at game start and set the Aliens hostile to everybody, I also made the gangs, Transtellar and Marsec hostile to everyone. It is a long and tedious process since you have to manually edit all those fields, my original intention was to make simply everyone hostile to everyone, with the exception of X-COM.

First site was a bloody mess. Megapol took out the Aliens quickly and then turned against me. I only sent 4 units and managed to avoid killing any officers while trying to stun them to get their loot. You need loot with this setup since you can't buy anything at start.

Then the UFOs started appearing and everything changed after the second site. I killed the aliens and stunned nearly all Diablo gangsters, taking their loot without any deaths amongst my agents. This had the effect of nearly all organizations switching their attitude to X-COM from hostile to unfriendly, with the exception of Diablo. It's been 2 days since that mission and they are hostile and infiltrated beyond any recovery.

Meanwhile I just realized that the 2nd value used in the relations between 2 different organizations can change, I thought before that it was a fixed value. I've just edited all organizations relations to -100. Let's see what happens after the 1st site.