XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Now Thats One Embarrasing Base Pic

LordT

I guess he just moved a few of the building around at some point. I know I do. Granted, i normally do it to make the base easier to defend, but hey. Each to their own.

Also, this pic is not necessarily at the end of the game, is it. (Unless he said that and I missed it?) He could have only been half way through.

Yes, but he also has Plasma, AND fusion defenses, so one must infer that he had enough time to research a plasma weapon-cannon-defense and blasterbomb-fusion ball launcher-f defense. In adition to the avenger and all of it's prerequisites. And unless they hacked the game, it took time to make the avenger, so one can assume that they are pretty far into the game.

To clear up some of the accusations.... This pic is from my first successful game. I did not cheat, and in fact did not have internet access and therefore no access to cheats at the time this game was played. In the main base, Micona, I added a fourth hanger in the bottom middle to fit another skyranger (rather than build another base), then later destroyed the one in the bottom right so I could build more stuff there. I was also under the impression at the time that more large radars meant greater UFO detection.... I might be able to dig up a copy of this saved game, but I sincerely doubt it, as we're talking about finding a CD burned over 6 years ago...

I think it looks fabulous. Aliens are always slipping under my radar, so maybe more than one is the way to go. I always have a large and a small for most of the game, anyway, just to catch the big ones before they hit my base. And I never build all six bases, that's a logistical nightmare. Time is much better spent killing aliens. And as for base defense, that's a load of hooey. You can't make a base easier to defend by building bottlenecks and things, unless you're really into using explosives in your own base, and anyway it's a pain in the arse. Much better to just put stuff in as you need it, and if they attack your base, too bad for them. :D

I'll be a great playtester, I swear to god, I'll catch all the bugs because I'll do everything you never expected someone in their right mind would do. :happybanana:

-Fred

Aliens are always slipping under my radar, so maybe more than one is the way to go.

I thought more than one did make a difference in the case of radars?

I always have a large and a small for most of the game, anyway, just to catch the big ones before they hit my base.

Best tactic to use IMO.

And I never build all six bases, that's a logistical nightmare.

Maybe not six, but I often get to four. Course, when over half of them are just a shell of a base its easier to manage.

Time is much better spent killing aliens.

Always.

You can't make a base easier to defend by building bottlenecks and things, unless you're really into using explosives in your own base, and anyway it's a pain in the arse.

Well, you can make it easier to defend actually. A lot easier. Even without explosives. But I agree its a pain in the arse.

Much better to just put stuff in as you need it, and if they attack your base, too bad for them.

Or, even better, stop them from ever reaching your base in the first place.

I was playing on beginner. I suffered invasions on a regular basis. Nothing a half-dozen well-placed blaster bombs couln't resolve, though. I always build all 8 bases now, with 1 main base, 2 manufacturing bases, one storage base, and 4 radar bases.

Through a bit of research and comparison, I've discovered that this old base pic is from the same saved game that my downloadable saved game comes from. The downloadable one is almost a year further into the game. So if you want to see what became of the highly-loathed missile defense, look at this pic from the downloadable saved game:

shot0078.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Why do you have 1 plasma defense and 1 fusion defense? It's not like they can ever drop an ufo even if they both hit?! Another question, if you have that much bases which have been built "a lot" you must have been playing a long time! Too bad we can't see the date and get to laugh at it too :D About 23.12.2020? Still haven't gone to cydonia.

Well, micah realizes how much it sucks to get constantly attacked by battleships, so he lets them land. Plus, you get stuff too! :)

Yeah, I do that too but why make 1 fusion defense and 1 plasma defense at all then? They are just eating space from other facilities.

Well, if you think that a hit with a defense reduces crew, then a couple of defenses could be helpful in preventing those nasty sectopods get through. I don't know if it does, to my knowldage it has never been tested.

I have never seen any difference with amount of aliens at base attacks. It doesn't matter if the attacking ufo gets hit by several defenses, if it won't be destroyed, the aliens are not reduced either..

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Stop bumping ancient threads! Read the last post date before replying! Eesh.

This there any rule against bumping ancient threads?

I'm pretty sure there is. It's generally an "unwritten" rule of forum-surfing anyway. <_>

• 1 month later...

I actually downloaded Micah's savegame (Before reading this thread, or even joining the forum), and I have got to say it is the most confusing pile of junk ever. In the beginning I didn't know which base was which, or what each soldier specialized in, or anything...

And it was kinda redundant to have 3 small radars, 1 large, and a HWD when the HWD handles everything that comes in range...

I'm sure Micah is a great X-Com player (Much better than I, for sure), but the savegame I downloaded seemed kind of...randomly placed. Like he wasn't really paying attention to what he was doing...

I actually downloaded Micah's savegame (Before reading this thread, or even joining the forum), and I have got to say it is the most confusing pile of junk ever. In the beginning I didn't know which base was which, or what each soldier specialized in, or anything...

And it was kinda redundant to have 3 small radars, 1 large, and a HWD when the HWD handles everything that comes in range...

I'm sure Micah is a great X-Com player (Much better than I, for sure), but the savegame I downloaded seemed kind of...randomly placed. Like he wasn't really paying attention to what he was doing...

Here we go again :P This saved game was my first successful game from about 10 years ago. It heavily reflects my packrat mentality of keeping things around until I absolutely have to sell/destray them. The base in Antactica, for example, if I recall correctly, has thousands of alien corpses sent from other bases and stockpiled there. There are also hundreds of plasma rifles, thousands of Elerium, etc. It represented a lot of cash, that's for sure.

And I see no crime in bumping ancient threads, especially when they are about me :D

A word of warning to all: never....ever EVER insult the admin ;)

But yeah, whats the point Micah! Get over the corpses at least!! Sell them to some shadowy pharmaceutical corporation in the USA or something :D Move on...! ROFL

Micah just might be trying to make the game a little bit more difficult by imposing the "no sell" restriction. LOL

It might be interesting to actually try this sometime. Since selling things to get profits is out of the picture, you are forced into keeping the countries happy for primary funding. This also leads to General Store overcrowding issues, so getting rid of unwanted equipment is a real hassle. Hmmm... sounds interesting! =b

- Zombie

Storage base? Shoot down loads of UFOs near it, with no base defenses, and no guards. Lose the base to the aliens, whilst full of General Storages, and there you have it! An 'easy' way of disposing of the rubbish.

That would work, though it is a very expensive proposition. A bare-bones base with only an Access Lift, one General Stores and constructed on the cheapest land (Central Asia) would cost $750,000. However, it is the only way to get rid of items which you cannot load onto a transport ship (like Alien Alloys, corpses etc).

A fairly economical way of disposing weapons and equipment can be accomplished with a Skyranger and one grenade. Simply load the ship full of junk and then send it off to a mission. When you arrive, prime a grenade and drop it on the equipment pile at the door. The explosion will obliterate the pile, leaving you with 80 items less in your inventory. At an initial start-up cost of only *Zombie scribbles some numbers down* $540,300 (Skyranger, Soldier and Grenade), this is far cheaper than transferring stuff to a sacrificial base. In addition, you can reuse the Skyranger and soldier many times, so the overall cost to dispose of items would go down with each use.

In any event, not only is it a real hassle, but it can also be very expensive. When funds are in short supply, this can be even more problematic. :wink1:

- Zombie

Central Asia is cheapest? I thought it was Hawaii for some odd reason...

It gets even cheaper once you get psi. Then the aliens provide their own grenades. Tis what I do when the 80-item cap has been breached, and the game can't create corpses or stunned bodies...

You'd also have to convert the alien alloys to the most space efficient thing you can make with it.

OOOO I know make firestorms and get them shot down!!!

God Im a genius!