XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Ufo2000 Beta Testing

Serge

0.7.957 http://ufo2000.lxnt.info/files/ufo2000-0.7.957-beta.exe

* Defining tilesets using lua files should be completely working now and support all the needed properties

* Experimental demo version of 'Moon Base' terrain improved a bit

* Fixed some problems with corpses/stunning when working without data files from x-com

Now we have a complete (or maybe 90-95% as I might have missed something) tilesets loading support in the game. What still needs to be done is a user friendly tilesets editor (I even started to make one using FOX GUI toolkit, but lost the sources because of hardware problems :() and also a usable map editor (daishiva's editor can also work, but some importing/exporting tools will be required). Not to mention some detailed game modding documentation that I promised to make a long time ago :)

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sure :) I just listed the most major/time consuming issues, there are lots of smaller tweaks that will be implemented as well, probably even before 0.8.x release.

I understood that :)

I have related all of the issues concerning terrain interaction together since they relate to the same topic. I've done the same thing with the reactions.

I don't know how the editor for the new terrains is going but in my inexperienced opinion wouldn't it be easier to change Daishiva's Map View to use the new .lua and .png terrain files (if he authorizes it, of course)? It probably be easier than to construct a new editor from scratch.

Edited by Hobbes

0.7.957 http://ufo2000.lxnt.info/files/ufo2000-0.7.957-beta.exe

* Defining tilesets using lua files should be completely working now and support all the needed properties

* Experimental demo version of 'Moon Base' terrain improved a bit

* Fixed some problems with corpses/stunning when working without data files from x-com

Now we have a complete (or maybe 90-95% as I might have missed something) tilesets loading support in the game. What still needs to be done is a user friendly tilesets editor (I even started to make one using FOX GUI toolkit, but lost the sources because of hardware problems :() and also a usable map editor (daishiva's editor can also work, but some importing/exporting tools will be required). Not to mention some detailed game modding documentation that I promised to make a long time ago :)

Mapview could work in the short term, but perhaps an easier mapmaker that will generate .LUA files for us too. Because that's the reason I can't play any of my custom maps: I find LUA scripting rather difficult.

Have you seen the guide to design new maps? Is there anything that you think it's missing from it?

By the way, here is you map making guide in html format (with some minor editing): http://lxnt.info:8888/repos/ufo2k/trunk/docs/newmaps.html

Do you like the formatting, syntax highlighted lua fragments for example? I hope to make all the documentation available in a similar format. If you want to add some corrections, they are welcome, I can explain how to build such html files.

A complete ufo000 documentation should contain explanation for general concepts of game extensions, a complete lua API and sections related to some specific applications of game modding (maps, weapons, ...). So maps making guide is a description of one of such applications, probably it is a bit hard to understand without some common introduction to game modding using lua. Trial and error method by copying existing maps and modifying them can work, but it is better to have everything explained in a clear way :)

Also the game does not handle errors very good. That's not a design choice, we just do not have enough time to make everything work smoothly. We will try to make the game more tolerable to errors in lua extensions, just make it skip bad extension while loading all the rest, also sensible error messages should be displayed and saved to error log to make it easier to find and fix any problems.

Have you seen the guide to design new maps? Is there anything that you think it's missing from it?

By the way, here is you map making guide in html format (with some minor editing): http://lxnt.info:8888/repos/ufo2k/trunk/docs/newmaps.html

Do you like the formatting, syntax highlighted lua fragments for example? I hope to make all the documentation available in a similar format. If you want to add some corrections, they are welcome, I can explain how to build such html files.

A complete ufo000 documentation should contain explanation for general concepts of game extensions, a complete lua API and sections related to some specific applications of game modding (maps, weapons, ...). So maps making guide is a description of one of such applications, probably it is a bit hard to understand without some common introduction to game modding using lua. Trial and error method by copying existing maps and modifying them can work, but it is better to have everything explained in a clear way :)

Also the game does not handle errors very good. That's not a design choice, we just do not have enough time to make everything work smoothly. We will try to make the game more tolerable to errors in lua extensions, just make it skip bad extension while loading all the rest, also sensible error messages should be displayed and saved to error log to make it easier to find and fix any problems.

I like the html format. I've made a new version of the guide, I don't know if you got it but I will attach it to the end of this message.

One thing I've realized is that the new terrain format will require an update of the guide. But that will come later after it is fully implemented.

newmaps.txt

I like the html format. I've made a new version of the guide, I don't know if you got it but I will attach it to the end of this message.

Thanks, I will check it on this weekend.

One thing I've realized is that the new terrain format will require an update of the guide. But that will come later after it is fully implemented.

That's one of the reasons I did not start preparing documentation yet :) I just want to make lua API more stable and tested before that. There will be one relatively large internal change in the game soon - switch to RLE sprites to optimize the game and get more FPS. It should not require any changes to external lua API, but I want to be sure.

By the way, about game performance. Are there any players with relatively old and slow computers (200-500MHz)? What FPS do you usually get in the game with the latest beta?

And one more hint to improve performance in the game (and probably in some other applications). There is an option in BIOS setup: 'Fast AGP write', it is better to have it enabled. I just tried to run the game on my computer at work (Athlon64 2.2GHz, Geforce4 MX440) and surprisingly it showed much lower FPS than on my computer at home (AthlonXP 2.0GHz, nvidia Geforce4 MX440 integrated into nforce2 chipset): 36 FPS vs 45 FPS! But after checking BIOS setup settings and enabling that 'Fast AGP write', Athlon64 was ahead as it naturally should with 55 FPS (a noticeable 1.5x performance improvement!). The test was done using exactly the same map and units starting locations, so these numbers can be compared with each other.

By the way, about game performance. Are there any players with relatively old and slow computers (200-500MHz)? What FPS do you usually get in the game with the latest beta?

And one more hint to improve performance in the game (and probably in some other applications). There is an option in BIOS setup: 'Fast AGP write', it is better to have it enabled. I just tried to run the game on my computer at work (Athlon64 2.2GHz, Geforce4 MX440) and surprisingly it showed much lower FPS than on my computer at home (AthlonXP 2.0GHz, nvidia Geforce4 MX440 integrated into nforce2 chipset): 36 FPS vs 45 FPS! But after checking BIOS setup settings and enabling that 'Fast AGP write', Athlon64 was ahead as it naturally should with 55 FPS (a noticeable 1.5x performance improvement!). The test was done using exactly the same map and units starting locations, so these numbers can be compared with each other.

I am going to run the beta on my old laptop (455 Mhz) to see how it performs.

Btw, someone asked me the other day: is the 255 limit for tiles going to disappear with the new tile system? I am guessing (and hoping) that yes but I wanted to have confirmation.

is the 255 limit for tiles going to disappear with the new tile system? I am guessing (and hoping) that yes but I wanted to have confirmation.

Not yet. We are still using x-com *.map format for map blocks and that limitation comes from the fact that it uses only one byte for each tile index.

Now we have a replacement for mcd files and it removes some limitations providing:

- truecolor tile graphics support (tile sprites in png files)

- no reference to loftemps.dat (each tile can have any shape defined)

- no reference to scang.dat (each tile has its own 4x4 picture for minimap image)

Getting rid of old map format and replacing it with something more flexible is possible, but it will make it even harder to use daishiva's map editor to edit maps for ufo2000. And considering that daishiva ignored my question about what he thinks about making his editor open source twice, looks like we will need our own map editor anyway.

Edited by Serge

is the 255 limit for tiles going to disappear with the new tile system? I am guessing (and hoping) that yes but I wanted to have confirmation.

Not yet. We are still using x-com *.map format for map blocks and that limitation comes from the fact that it uses only one byte for each tile index.

Now we have a replacement for mcd files and it removes some limitations providing:

- truecolor tile graphics support (tile sprites in png files)

- no reference to loftemps.dat (each tile can have any shape defined)

- no reference to scang.dat (each tile has its own 4x4 picture for minimap image)

One thing I've noticed concerning the new LOF settings for shapes: how do the x and y axis work? The z axis is easy, since it has the height of 12 but for the x and y there's 16 blocks of 4 pixels each. It is like:

FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF

FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF

FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF

FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF

If so, to where do the first and last string of 4 digits refer to on this diagram?

Getting rid of old map format and replacing it with something more flexible is possible, but it will make it even harder to use daishiva's map editor to edit maps for ufo2000. And considering that daishiva ignored my question about what he thinks about making his editor open source twice, looks like we will need our own map editor anyway.

Well, there's a good side to it. If a map editor for UFO2000 is developed then it could be added to the distributive (with an option for it on the start screen). That way it would be fully integrated with the game.

One thing I've noticed concerning the new LOF settings for shapes: how do the x and y axis work? The z axis is easy, since it has the height of 12 but for the x and y there's 16 blocks of 4 pixels each. It is like:

FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF

FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF

FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF

FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF

If so, to where do the first and last string of 4 digits refer to on this diagram?

It's hard to explain, you can try setting F_CONVERT_XCOM_DATA = 1, run the game starting at least one mission in order to have map resources loaded and exported and check the directory 'converted_xcom_data'. Opening some of the exported html files and checking descriptions of walls, walls with windows and stairs can provide some insights about that hex patterns.

If a map editor for UFO2000 is developed then it could be added to the distributive (with an option for it on the start screen). That way it would be fully integrated with the game.

Sure :) And having the editor can provide a convenient way of editing object shapes without having to undestand shape encoding from lua files (3D objects are hard to represent in a readable form in a 2D text file).

0.7.962 http://ufo2000.lxnt.info/files/ufo2000-0.7.962-beta.exe

* Added a new configuration option 'prefer x-com gfx', when it is set, the game tries to use original x-com graphics when possible (for cursors, selection boxes, etc.)

* Improved battlescape rendering performance (about 30% speed improvement)

* Now alpha transparency is supported for cursors, selectors, weapon sprites and map, providing possibility to implement nice visual effects in the next versions.

0.7.963 http://ufo2000.sourceforge.net

* Fixed crash on stunned soldier recovery (it was accidently introduced in revision 903)

* Stunned soldiers can now be killed by explosions

* Fixed sync bug because of falling body stopping bullets

* Fixed visibility issue of the map cells where your soldiers are standing (they were not registered as seen)

Webserver, bugtracker and SVN repository on lxnt.info are currently down for maintenance, sorry for the inconveniences. But the game servers still work though :)

• 3 weeks later...

0.7.967 http://ufo2000.lxnt.info/files/ufo2000-0.7.967-beta.exe

Floating point mathematics related synchronization problems hopefully are fixed in revision 967. Now we force 64-bit precision for x87 fpu (80 bits is cool but we get lots of rounding errors when moving values from fpu registers to memory and vice versa). Also we use 'fdlibm' library instead of "math.h" for transcendental functions, it is also used by java to provide identical results on different platform, so it should be a good choice. Before starting the game, some tests involving ordinary arithmetics and trigonometry functions are performed. On getting correct results after these tests, the game is allowed to connect server.

Floating point is a bit fragile though, as adding '-ffast-math' options makes the tests fail for example. Ordinary '-O2' and '-O3' gcc optimizations work just fine. As a side notice, MSVC 7.1 seems to provide correct results only when the test program is compiled without any optimizations at all! Any optimization settings affect floating point precision.

That was a technical explanation of the changes in the new version, if you are not a programmer and don't understand it, that's ok :) For the players it just means that we should get much less 'crc errors' from now on. But extensive testing is required to confirm whether this change is really useful and also in order to find and fix the other remaining bugs.

• 2 weeks later...

0.7.974 http://ufo2000.lxnt.info/files/ufo2000-0.7.974-beta.exe

* Support for additional units from the original x-com: floater, ethereal and snakeman (Angry Lawyer)

* Added French translation (Nachtwolf)

* New much better looking smoke animation (Nachtwolf)

* Added new 'lunarsuit' unit skin (nappes)

Sounds like u have 'preferr Xcom graphics' checked in the battlescape options. Uncheck it and restart the game and it should all be ok. If that doesnt help, scream and run around in circles :)

• 1 month later...

In the latest beta there is some additional code for debugging network synchronization problems (crc errors). So if you get crc error message, a file with a name 'crc_error_XXX.txt' gets created in ufo2000 directory and contains information which is supposed to help much in finding the source of such problems. If you get crc error problem in a network game, I would like to have a look at this 'crc_error_XXX.txt' file.

Thanks.

If you get crc error problem in a network game, I would like to have a look at this 'crc_error_XXX.txt' file.

Thanks.

Oops read this too late, already deleted those.

EDIT : I didn't empty the recycle bin yet, here's the attached files.

Something happened tho, I was running my test account with 985M, which is a custom build, and connected with a guy running 985... I mostly thought a little game could be fun, but I didn't expect the games to connect, I tested anyway and the version check didn't do it's job correctly on both sides since we got into the mission planner. That might as well be the origin of the CRCs.

ufo2000_bugCRC.zip

Edited by nachtwolf

the funny thing about that:

installed the new beta version and started off by playing around a bit (trying the new weapons and such stuff) offline...

i got all that CRC problems in hotseat mode... and i really don't know, how its possible that my installed version has some other CRC as my installed version oO

crc_error_21179.txt

crc_error_24970.txt

crc_error_29757.txt

crc_error_43851.txt

crc_error_48502.txt

and these are from the game i just played...

after first crc error, i did sometimes shoot through walls and stuff like that. and while the other player was playing, chat was displaying "___error in NID___" many times...

need that stuff too?

# Connected to server: lxnt.info:2001

# as user: Llyr

# Start networkgame with: zeke

* Battlereport: 2006-01-27 23:59:59

# Turn end: 1

# wrong wholeCRC: crc=55499, bcrc=48866

# Next turn: 2

killed: VSS

killed: KPAL

# Turn end: 3

killed: (+.+)

killed: (^.^)

killed: (>.>)

# wrong wholeCRC: crc=5321, bcrc=25348

# Next turn: 4

killed: Shz3

# Turn end: 5

# wrong wholeCRC: crc=62477, bcrc=27956

# Next turn: 6

killed: Shz2

killed: Svh 3

killed: KPAS

# Turn end: 7

# wrong wholeCRC: crc=2644, bcrc=20146

# Next turn: 8

killed: Shz1

# Turn end: 9

# Summary:

YOU WIN!

crc_error_2644.txt

crc_error_5321.txt

crc_error_55499.txt

crc_error_62477.txt

Edited by Llyr

i played around a bit, and that's what i found out about the crc error:

it never happens if there is no shooting. you can do anything else.

it does not happen every shot you make

it does never happen with shots that dont hit tiles (go out of the map)

it is more likely to happen for shots at greater distance

whenever the error occurs following happens:

player A hits tile X and destroys it.

then switch to player B and watch modus:

you can see player A hit tile Y (some other tile than tile X)

another detail i noticed: if you can see your shots flying through walls, without hitting them, the error is sure to occur.

conclusion:

the problem seems possibly to be caused either by the collision detection, or by the flight path randomization.

hope that helps :)

more findings:

just shot 5 soldiers from only one square distance. doing hit point damage (which is randomized too) does not cause it, so it has nothing to do with random number generation.

if you turn down the shot speed in your options to 5, it never happens.

the faster you set shot speed, the more likely the error is to occur. (!!!)

conclusion:

changing the speed of the shots, doesn't only change the display rate but also calculation depth, and therefore accuracy!

Edited by Llyr

That's weird. There is something really broken in the latest beta 985 as we get lots of errors in the server statistics. It was build from the latest SVN revision, so the bug could not be fixed, maybe my compiler got broken and built a buggy binary...

Anyway, I will review all the changes made since revision 980 again to be sure. Theoretically there were no changes that could affect shooting similation (only its animation), but I might overlook something.

About bug reports. There is one problem - there files get created on every end of turn after the game got out of sync, but we only need the first one. I'll fix this issue in the error diagnostics code. Also probably it is better to send such error reports to the server automatically in order to have complete vision of what's happening as not everyone would even care to post error logs here.

I only looked at nachtwolf's files, there is really a problem with shooting (unit alive on one computer and dead on the other).

• 2 weeks later...

please explain better Plasma, i tried to have a look myself to see if i could see your problem but i dont know where to look and it all seems fine.

If in doubt, screenshot.

All looks good so far although the melee attakck animation looks odd when attackin to the left.

Edited by Sporb

1000, nice version number.

Too bad that version doesn't seem to work for me, it'll only give me:

UFO2000 Error!

Assert failed at line 117 of mingw-libs/include/allegro/inline/gfx.inl

As far as I know, you already had some problems with the sound before. Looks like ufo2000 does not work quite well on Windows 98, or with your directx/hardware. Don't know if we can help you, that is the problem in allegro library and not directly in ufo2000 code :(

Beta 1000 works fine on my computer (XP) when I make a fresh install. It seems that the problem are the screen definitions. If anyone else can't even get the loading screen I suggest deleting the ufo2000.ini before installing version1000.

@serge

I've converted Warehouse, XBase and Industrial terrains (they were still placed on the /newmaps folder) to the extensions format. The zipped files contained both is attached to this message.

xbasewarehouseconverted.zip

terrain_industrial.zip

Edited by Hobbes

1000, nice version number.

Too bad that version doesn't seem to work for me, it'll only give me:

UFO2000 Error!

Assert failed at line 117 of mingw-libs/include/allegro/inline/gfx.inl

As far as I know, you already had some problems with the sound before. Looks like ufo2000 does not work quite well on Windows 98, or with your directx/hardware. Don't know if we can help you, that is the problem in allegro library and not directly in ufo2000 code :(

Aw, too bad. At least I got ufo2k working on my other comp with win98SE :D

• 3 weeks later...

IMPORTANT !

A new Beta version will be released as an archive file since Serge is really busy these days and he's the one to have full access to the sources.

The release will take place in a few days as we are currently putting it together and installation instructions will be provided in the archive.

EDIT : Will be available by the end of march, we've decided to bundle a few things.

Edited by nachtwolf

Jezulkim, could you test to see when the previous betas began to associate with this problem? Maybe we can trace what happened here. :)

Now concerning fonts, we should try to find a different font (like yours), which maybe or our own than the current font? This can be quite tedious though. We are all aware of the current font as universal but this does not mean we could not use seperate fonts for english and universal. Having said that, it is quite a minor issue at current time. ;)

IMPORTANT !

A new Beta version will be released as an archive file since Serge is really busy these days and he's the one to have full access to the sources.

Actually I'm not the only one who has full access to the sources. There are about half a dozen other developers with commit access (and maybe some of them are still tracking this forum ;)).

Now back to the situation we are in. I'm sorry for slowing down the progress, but I don't see much choices for us now. As I don't have much free time, I cant review and commit some patches. :( An option could be to provide commit access for more people, but once again, it is better done when at least one of the long time committers can keep an eye for at least some time on what gets added to the repository and fix problems if they arise. I would not like to see repository blown up when I get back :)

But looks like we can have a solution. I have finally found some time and have done some changes to the server which should allow different versions to play on the same server without interfering each other. In 'version.h' now we have VERSION_TAG constant, only clients which have the same tag will see each other on the server, so changing it to something like "experimental" any other tag and building the game will ensure that 'normal' players will be able to continue playing 'beta' versions, but the courageous and curious ones will be able to play 'experimental' versions :) Server status page now also shows some information about the versions and tags of the players currently who are logged on to the server. It should be easy to provide separate stability statistics for each tag on 'results-beta' page. So now anyone can checkout the latest sources of the game from the repository, apply some patch, set some special tag in version.h and put this build for download. People can download this build and play it, if we see that stability of this build is acceptable after a reasonable number of games, the patch can be committed to the repository. At least we can try to see if this system can work :)

The release will take place in a few days as we are currently putting it together and installation instructions will be provided in the archive.

That's good. Don't forget to set some special version tag for it, see description above :)

IMPORTANT !

Actually I'm not the only one who has full access to the sources. There are about half a dozen other developers with commit access (and maybe some of them are still tracking this forum ;)).

Now back to the situation we are in. I'm sorry for slowing down the progress, but I don't see much choices for us now. As I don't have much free time, I cant review and commit some patches. :( An option could be to provide commit access for more people, but once again, it is better done when at least one of the long time committers can keep an eye for at least some time on what gets added to the repository and fix problems if they arise. I would not like to see repository blown up when I get back :)

But looks like we can have a solution. I have finally found some time and have done some changes to the server which should allow different versions to play on the same server without interfering each other. In 'version.h' now we have VERSION_TAG constant, only clients which have the same tag will see each other on the server, so changing it to something like "experimental" any other tag and building the game will ensure that 'normal' players will be able to continue playing 'beta' versions, but the courageous and curious ones will be able to play 'experimental' versions :) Server status page now also shows some information about the versions and tags of the players currently who are logged on to the server. It should be easy to provide separate stability statistics for each tag on 'results-beta' page. So now anyone can checkout the latest sources of the game from the repository, apply some patch, set some special tag in version.h and put this build for download. People can download this build and play it, if we see that stability of this build is acceptable after a reasonable number of games, the patch can be committed to the repository. At least we can try to see if this system can work :)

That's good. Don't forget to set some special version tag for it, see description above :)

excellent

I would like to report version tags are a bit off. Beta and experimental tags will not ignore each other on the server, let alone check to see false version. ie: v.1000 with v.1003 experimental version. Looking at the beta server, I seen some people with a '?' version making me think they had a 'mod' that was being tested but to find out they did not. It kind of irritated me when the player was claiming he had it when he obviously didn't know what I was talking about.

@Serge: Which long time committers are active? Twilight Owl? I haven't seen any of those developers since November.

Edited by Kratos

I would like to report version tags are a bit off. Beta and experimental tags will not ignore each other on the server, let alone check to see false version. ie: v.1000 with v.1003 experimental version. Looking at the beta server, I seen some people with a '?' version making me think they had a 'mod' that was being tested but to find out they did not. It kind of irritated me when the player was claiming he had it when he obviously didn't know what I was talking about.

First, only revisions starting from 1006 use new login method, all the older builds (no matter beta or release) will be reported as '?' and treated as before. Each new client now has both tag and version number. If you just build revision 1006, it will have 'beta' tag, '0.7.1006' version number and 1000 as minimal compatible revision (it will be reported as 'beta' + '0.7.1006' on the server status page). But older clients will just not see it on the server because they all have a different tag (no tag at all). Version numbers should be treated within each tag separately.

@Serge: Which long time committers are active? Twilight Owl? I haven't seen any of those developers since November.

You can check changelog to get the list of committers and information about date when they were last active.

Last active beside Serge was Owl : Wed, 21 Sep 2005

BTW as for the different builds : I think players should still be visible. Just not "activated".

The server should display everyone connected but not let games start between different *tags*.

2 simple reasons :

People might have different versions installed and may wish to play with someone who is running another version.

Example, player 1 runs stable and is alone in the lobby, he may wish to play with player 2 who is currently running experimental. For this to be possible, both of them need to be aware that the other player is in the lobby and that they are running different version.

People might simply want to chat with other players.

Versions should not restrict chat so the names and messages should be visible to all.

Edited by nachtwolf

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...