XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Very Important

GreatGold

[color="red"][b]EDIT: PLEASE NOTE THE XENOCIDE NAMES HAVE NOT BEEN DETERMINED YET FOR EVERY ITEM OR UNIT IN THE GAME, REFERENCES TO NAMES WHICH ARE THE INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY OF ATARI OR OTHER COMPANIES BY INDIVIDUAL PROJECT MEMBERS IS NOT CONDONED BY THE PROJECT AND THE PROJECT DOES NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR SUCH ACTIONS. INDIVIDUALS SHOULD REFER TO ENTRY NAMES AGREED TO BY THE PROJECT, AND IF SUCH A NAME DOES NOT YET EXIST THEY SHOULD USE A SUBSTITUTE IN [BRACKETS]. THANKS![/b][/color] Edited by Breunor

• 4 months later...
In the last couple months we've had several entries added into the creative text asset list. Part of the changing nature of the texts involves the naming system for items. As current CTD members are aware (and for newer members who don't), we will not be using any names from the original game that could be considered the intellectual property of the original title. This includes things like geoscape, battlescape, skyranger, HWP, elerium, sectoids, etc. It does not include generic terms coined outside the original game like plasma, autocannon, interceptor, and laser cannon. When writing a text description, if you wish to use the "name" within the entry but we don't have a new name yet, please make it stand out by placing it in [brackets]. If you refer to another entry, do the same thing. For example, if the plasma clip refers to [elerium]. (By the way, we're currently using Xenium-122 as the elerium replacement) Once we have a new name we can easily go back and replace the entries. This will save us time proofing work later on.

If you have previously posted an entry that is already in the asset list, you can PM me with updates, I will eventually go through all the entries to proof them for this as time permits. Making your own corrections is greatly appreciated of course! :D

Thanks everyone for your hard work!

• 2 months later...
This is just a heads up for the CTD members and recruits, regarding the status of certain text entries. While some entries are very easy to do and don't rely on other entries, some are very dependent on other technologies for their explanation. Due to this we're trying to hammer down a few points, such as the official names for Xenocide items and aliens and some of the major storyline points. I started doing this in the Creative Text Meeting room forum because with teh exception of forum moderators, only senior members and full CTD members have access and thus can vote on the preferred names. But there's the argument for allowing everybody to have a say in this, as well as the recruits who are contributing but don't have full access yet. So we've moved this discussion back into the workshop/x-net forum to get a wider base of discussion.

I'd like to ask our creative text members to discuss a timeframe for working out some of the details, milestones if you will, when we will decide on some final names and basic storyline points. This allows us to develop other areas and move forward, otherwise we will endlessly go in circles over the same points. There will always be new people coming in with new ideas, so we need to form a consensus with those we have and move on IMO.

EDIT: Polls are in progress for specific names at this point, and will continue until we have versions not in conflict with other software titles. Edited by Breunor

• 3 weeks later...
This post is a general announcement regarding collaboration between this department and the artwork department. As you know, sometimes the vision each has can vary from the other when it comes to the looks of an item. Due to the relative work load and number of members, there tends to be a text write-up of various items before artwork concepts have begun.

To make sure that these ideas are considered, writers should make a point of visiting the Images forum, and look for a thread regarding the items they have worked on. If a thread doesn't exist you can make one, just make the name short and sweet. For example, "Reaper/Raptor Concepts" is all you need in the title.

Then in the thread, you shouldn't copy and paste the entire text there, just summarize the physical aspects of the entry that your text relies on. This is something members can do without a text as well, the concept threads can be started without any pictures, in fact the submission guidelines state that ideas be discussed first before visual concepts begin, so starting the discussion with the text can help get the ball rolling.

Please realise that even if you post your ideas, they are just concepts and not written in stone. The CTD members have been forewarned that if an artwork concept totally contradicts a previous text writeup but fits with the look and feel of the game in general, the text will always lose out. Writers take that chance by writing specifics ahead of time. Hopefully this system of visiting the artwork threads early on might help, as it's not the artist's responsibility to hunt down any text write-ups of what they are doing. All concepts belong in the Images forum, so it's the writers' responsibility to include their ideas if they want them considered.

If anybody has specific questions regarding this or clarifications, PM me and I'll do my best to answer. I'd prefer to keep posts in this thread announcements only, for quicker reads by new members.

Thanks!