XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Issue #219: Silabrate Autopsy

kafros

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) I had written another draft some days before, but either I accidentally deleted it, or I didn't save it :wacko: :doh:, so I don't feel like re-writting it .

2) I am working on other things now

3) Blehm wanted to take over some CTs, cause he said he didn't have enought things to do

For these 3 reasons, I am searching for a volunteer to take over my place

Guest Azrael
3) Blehm wanted to take over some CTs, cause he said he didn't have enought things to do

Actually, he's not doing anything at the moment, and there are about 20 texts that he could pick up for himself, or PM me in case he didn't want to look for them.

• 2 weeks later...

did some work on this... it's rather far progressed, and rather cool, but I did make some suggestions.

for those who don't want to read all of it: one important thing crossed my mind, that might help us or add an interesting twist. We could explain Silabrates as single-celled organisms! Think about it. All they do is move, eat and excrete. They are extremely simple, their locomotion is not due to any kind of appendages, they eat almost everything and they produce a substance as a shell (read: cell wall). Combined with a few sentences about Silicon-based biology, this is not only possible, but also explains a lot of stuff - they replicate by cell division, the aliens control them because Silabrates react to simple stimuli which the aliens know... It can even be used to explain either a very low resistance to psi (they are simple, they can be controlled) or a very high psi resistance (they don't have a brain :D).

SILABRATE AUTOPSY

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Alien/Species/Silabrate Autopsy

Conducting autopsy research on a dead Silabrate specimen was a delicate operation which was carefully planned and programmed , which suggested an abstruse

It seems that the creature slowly produces Alien Composites which are physiologically integrated into its body as skin or, in the presence of abundant raw materials, excreted. Although rather simple, the Silabrate body operates in a remarkable way. Alas, dield reports show

Our research team soon discovered that the toughness of the skin of the Silabrate greatly exceeds the capabilities of common surgical tools, such as scalpels.  High-frequency surgical laser was an effective alternative. With the removal of what we estimated to be equivalent of the epidermis, thermal sensors recorded a sharp thermal fluctuation which was stabilised around 670 Kelvin

Samples from the skin were extracted for analysis. Indeed, Alien Composites produced internally slowly migrate to the visible outer layer of the skin. The Silabrate metabolism can easily convert a grand variety of chemical substances and materials with fairly high melting points. With the help of an enzyme, these reactions take place in one of the two Silabrate organs, which works as a vacuole where the various metabolism substances are stored. It is actually a heterogeneous compound of collected materials.

The skin itself functions as a neural and muscular system at the same time. These multipurpose cells . Actually, come to think of it, the Silabrate might be someting like an amoeba - a single-celled organism. it would explain its simplicity rather nicely. kind of like a mega-cell.> provide a basic interchange of messages between them and produce locomotion.

A significant quantity of an unusual hormone was detected within the hot body fluids. It is suspected that this hormone is the key factor in the production of the catalyst needed to efficiently create Alien Composites. >

The second gland-like structure is a kind of heart, which takes up approximately 35% of the total body mass. It provides the energy needed to sustain the Silbrate. The energy is not stored as ATP as in humans, but as GQP which are stored inside the heart and then used by the cells whenever needed. In addition, it produces the extraordinary thermal output the Silabrate needs for the production of Alien Composites.

We do not know if Silabrates are the main production agents of Alien Composites or just an alternative production factor. We have concluded that the Aliens  may have genetically engineered the Silabrate in order to convert various materials into Alien Composites ready for use. The idea of using Silabrates to our own advantage was tempting, but proved impossible to effectuate. Live Silabrates are just too dangerous to be used for production. We have tried to insert substances into dead Silabrates, but we did not succeed in stimulating the synthesis procedure. In order to produce Alien Composites, we must utilize our own chemistry methods.

“#1: Silabrates are NOT to be used in the oven in case of energy blackouts!

#2: We don’t feed food and cooking waste to live Silabrates!

#3: We don’t break nuts by throwing them at Silabrates!”

- New rules for the cooking staff

"Chestnuts roasting by a Sila-bra-ate..."

- X-Com Christmas song :D

Well Morty, if we keep in mind that an ostrich's egg is indeed the biggest cell on Earth (comparable to a human head, definitely less but nevertheless quite big :P), then probably alien biology keeps many secrets, as for example these huge 1-cell organisms. Definitely that's some inspiration :Hyper: =b .

I will publish the next draft in some hours, g2g right now :)

i've never thought of silacoids as single-celled, and for some reason it seems totally an odd idea to me.... GAHAHHAHAH!!!! BRAIN OVERLOAD!!!

sorry, but that is just really making me feel funny

Well, we really have to decide if it's a single cell organism or not. If it is 1-celled, then we should be VERY careful with the words we use. Skin, Glands and such just won't fit. I have some alternatives, no problem with that, but we must clear for good how we should progress.

In addition, the Silabrate CT is complete, so we must work in its "universe" :P

well, one problem is that it doesn't fit much of the 1 celled organism criteria. We also have no idea what a silicone based life-form would be like, so we should try and keep it close to what an equivalent carbon based life form would be like

if only it was nitrogen based.....

Notice : Moriarty is replying right now, so I am not to be held responsible for anything! :P

Well, in most sci-fi and fantasy stories, life-forms are either carbon or silicon based.

And, keep in mind that these things are ALIEN. They are supposed to be spooky and weird!

I just read the live silabrate text again, and I found nothing that prevents us from defining it as a singel-celled organism. it does mention a dog-like intelligence level, but that may well exist in a cell of that size - you don't need neurons when you can have integrated-circuit-like silicon structures in your body. a single-celled silabrate can work. the mega-silabrates or silabrate "queens" theorized in the live silabrate text could be several silabrates that fused to complete a bigger task - if you know about human cell biology, think of Langhans cells (see here for pictures).

I'd say go for it! we might even keep the organ descriptions, we just have to add that the scientists refused to believe that anything like a several-kilogram cell organelle can exist :P

So to complete the analogy, I would suggest that one of the silabrate "organs" rougly equals a mixture between a lysosome and a mitochondrion (in function, at least, perhaps not in principle), breaking up stuff and creating energy. The other is something like the endoplasmic reticulum, the primary synthesizing organelle, making stuff.

The "skin" has two layers: the inner layer is the cellular membrane, the outer layer is a cell wall, like plants, fungi and many bacteria have - a hard shell with protective function.

The nucleus can actually be quite small - if our silabrate-amoeba even has one, it might be a procaryote, after all. the "organs" can just as well be explained as vacuoles instead of organelles. rudimentary intelligence is absolutely possible without neural networks, all you need is intracellular structures which are able to process signals, and this might even work electrically in a silicon-based lifeform, explaining why psi can affect it - the patterns of its brain-like structures are by chance similar enough to those of neural networks that the same kind of psi-field "resonance" is possible.

I just read the live silabrate text again, and I found nothing that prevents us from defining it as a singel-celled organism. it does mention a dog-like intelligence level, but that may well exist in a cell of that size - you don't need neurons when you can have integrated-circuit-like silicon structures in your body. a single-celled silabrate can work. the mega-silabrates or silabrate "queens" theorized in the live silabrate text could be several silabrates that fused to complete a bigger task - if you know about human cell biology, think of Langhans cells

Allright then!

Well, I know about human biology, but I don't know about langhan's cells :P. At least that english term doesn't remind me a greek one (see below)

I'd say go for it! we might even keep the organ descriptions, we just have to add that the scientists refused to believe that anything like a several-kilogram cell organelle

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

ENGLISH, SCIENTIFIC, TERMS, SUCK, BIG, TIME!

I would propose the idea of organelles, but I didn't know that term. In greek, they are called οργανίδια, "small organs" or "small organisms" (well, the translation is organelles :P)

I had a look at the wikipedia site, and YIKES!

Peroxisome? That sucks! I couldn't even guess what it was by its name! It's a υπεροξειδιόσωμα! υπεροξειδιό-σωμα. Super-oxide-some. Because they metabolise Υπεροξείδιο του Υδρογόνου (H2O2) into water and oxygen (that's why the wound fizzes when you put Hydrogen Peroxide, it's the oxygen flying free :D)

Once again, English Chemistry and Biology terms SUCK!

Damn, I could describe everything just fine in greek :'(

So to complete the analogy, I would suggest that one of the silabrate "organs" rougly equals a mixture between a lysosome=λυσόσωμα and a mitochondrion=μιτοχόνδριο (in function, at least, perhaps not in principle), breaking up stuff and creating energy. The other is something like the endoplasmic reticulum=λείο ενδοπλασματικό δίκτυο, the primary synthesizing organelle, making stuff.

The "skin" has two layers: the inner layer is the cellular membrane=κυτταρική μεμβράνη, the outer layer is a cell wall=κυτταρικό τοίχωμα, like plants, fungi and many bacteria have - a hard shell with protective function.

The nucleus can actually be quite small - if our silabrate-amoeba even has one, it might be a procaryote=προκαριωτικό, after all. the "organs" can just as well be explained as vacuoles instead of organelles. rudimentary intelligence is absolutely possible without neural networks, all you need is intracellular structures which are able to process signals, and this might even work electrically in a silicon-based lifeform, explaining why psi can affect it - the patterns of its brain-like structures are by chance similar enough to those of neural networks that the same kind of psi-field "resonance" is possible.

Now, were you reading my mind or what?! :P

Just wonderful Morty! With some miiiiiiiiinor changes, your suggestion is just wonderful! =b

Actually, eykaryotes is ευκαρυωτικά=ευ-κάρυο="with nucleus"

And prokaryotes=προ-καρυοτικά=pre-karyotes="without nucleus"

Edited by kafros

That's what it should be :P

Well, with some reference, I can easily work with English terms, so no problem :)

Azy, what do you think about this idea?! We really have to choose which idea to follow:

1) 1-Celled Silabrates?

2) The idea of our current draft?

Guest Azrael
To be honest, I don't really like the idea of a unicellular Silabrate, as blehm said, you'd have to take words like skin, organs, etc, I feel that the text would be have to be changed too much, and we'd be getting into something we don't know that much, I mean, there aren't big unicellular organisms, I think there must be a biological reason for that, but maybe I'm wrong...

So why are there big organisms? The answer to this question is one you've already encountered in this course. It has to do with the imperative that drives evolution: evolution is about diversity.

The true secret to survival is to be able to make a living in ways that other organisms aren't utilizing. If the world is packed full of cell-sized organisms, then there are ecological niches just waiting for organisms that are bigger, whole new ways to achieve the necessities of survival, and no competition — for a while, at least. Some of the neighbors always catch on, so no new innovation remains unique for very long.

That explains at least one reason why large organisms appeared. This leaves us with another puzzle. All of the large organisms on Earth are multicellular. There simply are no six foot tall unicellular organisms. Why? Since evolution is about diversity, why wouldn't this alternative be one that would work for some organisms?

There are at least two powerful answers to this question. One of them has to do with the problem of specialization. Probably for much the same reason that eukaryotic cells are compartmentalized, large organisms generally have a high degree of internal specialization. This is a lot easier to accomplish in a body formed of trillions of individual cells, rather than of one big hunk of protoplasm.

The other reason is one of necessity. It has to do with many of those basic functions of life we discussed in the introduction to this unit — things like gas exchange, getting food from the environment, getting rid of waste products. All of these processes are surface dependent. A cell acquires its food by transporting it across its plasma membrane, which covers its surface. Same with the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide — it all happens across that membrane. So the amount of food a cell can get is directly dependent upon how much surface area it has.

However, the entire cell has to be provided with food and oxygen, and the entire cell is producing waste materials and carbon dioxide. That means that the amount of food or oxygen needed is dependent upon the volume of the cell — how much space it occupies.

The dilemma is that the ability to perform these functions is surface dependent, but the need is volume dependent. So the amount of surface a cell has compared to how much volume it has is a vital aspect of its survival ability. If there is too little surface area for the cell's volume, it will starve and/or poison itself with its own waste materials.

Damn, I knew both reasons, but I couldn't remember them :Brickwall:

Maybe Silicon-based organisms are cabable of doing that :rolleyes:

Edited by kafros

there is also another reason, which has to do with pressure and surface tension. a bigger balloon will pop sooner, basically speaking. but that, at least, is probably not as much of an issue in silicon-based lifeforms, as they will have much stronger molecular bonds, which also allow them to survive higher body temperatures.

I guess I could live with a "conventional" silabrate. but I really like the giant amoeba-thing (bet you wouldn't have guessed LOL)

so, it's back to standard biology. still, it is a silicon-based lifeform, so we can have some fun with it yet.

here's the next draft:

SILABRATE AUTOPSY

Conducting autopsy research on a dead Silabrate specimen was a delicate operation which was carefully planned and executed. The use of Computer-AssistedSurgery (CAS) was inevitable. Preliminary study of the carcass proposed a skin temperature of 600 Kelvin, which suggested an enormously exothermic interior of the body. Thus, a special thermal-shielded operating table was manufactured and then installed in the examination room. The CAS console was set up in a corner of the room, with a durable anti-thermal glass wall separating it from the operating theater.

It seems that the creature slowly produces Alien Composites which are physiologically integrated into its body as the outer layer of the skin or, in the presence of abundant raw materials, excreted. Although rather simple in appearance, the Silabrate body apparently operates in a remarkable way. At the same time, field reports indicate that Silabrates are low-intelligence organisms. With only this initial information, the operation started.

Our research team soon discovered that the toughness of the skin of the Silabrate greatly exceeds the capabilities of common surgical tools, such as scalpels. High-frequency surgical laser was an effective alternative. With the removal of what we estimated to be the equivalent of the epidermis, thermal sensors recorded a sharp increase in temperature which stabilised at around 1100 Kelvin.

Samples from the skin were extracted for analysis. Indeed, Alien Composites produced internally slowly migrate to the visible outer layer of the skin. The Silabrate metabolism can easily convert a grand variety of chemical substances and materials even with fairly high melting points. Apparently, these reactions take place in one of the two Silabrate organs, which works like a reaction chamber, lined with highly durable tissue. The contents of this organ turned out to be a heterogeneous mixture of collected materials, including plant and animal parts.

The inner layer of the skin itself functions as a sensory, neural and muscular system at the same time. These multipurpose cells are capable of information uptake and processing and also possess the necessary contractility to produce locomotion.

A significant quantity of an unusual compound was detected within the hot body fluids. It is suspected that this compound is the key factor in the production of the catalyst needed to efficiently create Alien Composites.

The second gland-like structure is a kind of heart, which takes up approximately 35% of the total body mass. It provides the energy needed to sustain the Silbrate. The energy is not stored as molecules with high-energy bonds and then used by the cells whenever needed.  In addition, it produces the extraordinary thermal output the Silabrate needs for the production of Alien Composites.

We do not know if Silabrates are the main production agents of Alien Composites or just an alternative production factor. We have concluded that the Aliens  may have genetically engineered the Silabrate in order to convert various materials into Alien Composites ready for use. The idea of using Silabrates to our own advantage was tempting, but proved impossible to effectuate. Live Silabrates are just too dangerous to be used for production. We have tried to insert substances into dead Silabrates, but we did not succeed in stimulating the synthesis procedure. In order to produce Alien Composites, we must utilize our own chemistry methods.

“#1: Silabrates are NOT to be used in the oven in case of energy blackouts!

#2: We don’t feed food and cooking waste to live Silabrates!

#3: We don’t break nuts by throwing them at Silabrates!”

- New rules for the cooking staff

"Chestnuts roasting on a Sila-bra-ate..."

- X-Com Christmas song :D

Sounds real good! =b

blue for comments, orange for additions, red for deletions

[...]is the key factor in the production of the catalyst needed to efficiently create Alien Composites.

So just write "[...] is the key factor in the production of the catalyst needed to efficiently create Alien Composites at relatively low temperatures. An application of this knowledge might increase our yield when producing Alien Composites. (+ v1 Feature, but nevertheless we might use it in the CT since it might increase the yield... :D)

The second gland-like structure is a kind of roughly comparable to the mammals heart. which It takes up approximately 35% of the total body mass. It provides providing the energy needed to sustain the Silbrate. The energy is not stored as molecules with high-energy bonds and then used by the cells whenever needed.  In addition, it produces the extraordinary thermal output the Silabrate needs for the production of Alien Composites.

[...]

I think you wanted to say the energy is stored... correct me if I'm wrong :P

Ok, I know, it's not similar to a mammals heart, but just to have a better grip on it... :)

Edited by Mad

Hmm.. and reading your post in Alien Harvest ( http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?sh...35entry129943 ) I had to think about the "stomach" containments of the silibrate... shouldn't it contain silicon if it's a silicate based life form?

Plus: you don't mention that it is silicon/silicate based in the CT... (or did I over read this?) Is it? :huh:

next draft...

SILABRATE AUTOPSY

Conducting autopsy research on a dead Silabrate specimen was a delicate operation which was carefully planned and executed. The use of Computer-Assisted Surgery (CAS) was inevitable. Preliminary study of the carcass proposed a skin temperature of 600 Kelvin at the time of death, which suggested an enormously exothermic interior of the body. Thus, a special thermal-shielded operating table was manufactured and then installed in the examination room. The CAS console was set up in a corner of the room, with a durable anti-thermal glass wall separating it from the operating theater.

It seems that the creature slowly produces Alien Composites which are physiologically integrated into its body as the outer layer of the skin or, in the presence of abundant raw materials, excreted. Although rather simple in appearance, the Silabrate body apparently operates in a remarkable way. At the same time, field reports indicate that Silabrates are low-intelligence organisms. With only this initial information, the operation started.

Our research team soon discovered that the toughness of the skin of the Silabrate greatly exceeds the capabilities of common surgical tools, such as scalpels. High-frequency surgical laser was an effective alternative. With the removal of what we estimated to be the equivalent of the epidermis, thermal sensors recorded a sharp increase in temperature which stabilised at around 450 Kelvin despite the fact that the alien had been dead for more than 48 hours.

Samples from the skin were extracted for analysis. Indeed, Alien Composites produced internally slowly migrate to the visible outer layer of the skin. The Silabrate metabolism can easily convert a grand variety of chemical substances and materials even with fairly high melting points. Apparently, these reactions take place in one of the two Silabrate organs, which works like a reaction chamber, lined with highly durable tissue. The contents of this organ turned out to be a heterogeneous mixture of collected materials, including plant and animal parts as well as a variety of rocks and metals.

. but still, we should consider describing some kind of "mouth">

The inner layer of the skin itself functions as a sensory, neural and muscular system at the same time. These multipurpose cells are capable of information uptake and processing and also possess the necessary contractility to produce locomotion.

A significant quantity of an unusual compound was detected within the hot body fluids. It is suspected that this compound is the key factor in the production of the catalyst needed to efficiently create Alien Composites at relatively low temperatures.

>

The second gland-like structure is the rough equivalent of a heart, which takes up approximately 35% of the total body mass. Apart from circulating the Silabrate's body fluids, it also synthesizes the energy-rich compunds needed to sustain the Silbrate. The energy is stored as molecules with high-energy bonds and then used by the cells whenever needed. In addition, it produces the extraordinary thermal output the Silabrate needs for the production of Alien Composites.

We do not know if Silabrates are the main production agents of Alien Composites or just an alternative production factor. We have concluded that the Aliens may have genetically engineered the Silabrate in order to convert various materials into Alien Composites ready for use. The idea of using Silabrates to our own advantage was tempting, but proved impossible to effectuate. Live Silabrates are just too dangerous to be used for production. We have tried to insert substances into dead Silabrates, but we did not succeed in stimulating the synthesis procedure. In order to produce Alien Composites, we must utilize our own chemistry methods.

“#1: Don't use Silabrates in the oven in case of energy blackouts!

#2: Don’t feed food and cooking waste to live Silabrates!

#3: Don’t break nuts by throwing them at Silabrates!”

- found on a noticeboard in an X-Corps base kitchen

- X-Corps Christmas song

With the removal of what we estimated to be the equivalent of the epidermis, thermal sensors recorded a sharp increase in temperature which stabilised at around 450 Kelvin despite the fact that the alien had been dead for more than 48 hours.

Why do you use 450 K now? With the 48 hours... Couldn't we just say it is a self-preserving enzymatic reaction? I know this is pretty unlikable as the Silibrate might consume itself, but not everyone has to know :P

Hehe... that might not be such a big problem.. If we use my idea of oilsands ( http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?sh...35entry129984 ) he would just need to swallow... :) But then it might be a good idea to take out the "plant and animal parts".

Edited by Mad

With the removal of what we estimated to be the equivalent of the epidermis, thermal sensors recorded a sharp increase in temperature which stabilised at around 450 Kelvin despite the fact that the alien had been dead for more than 48 hours.
Why do you use 450 K now? With the 48 hours... Couldn't we just say it is a self-preserving enzymatic reaction? I know this is pretty unlikable as the Silibrate might consume itself, but not everyone has to know :P

well, I just picked a much lower number, because:

...I think this is a big consistency problem.

Hehe... that might not be such a big problem.. If we use my idea of oilsands ( http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?sh...35entry129984 ) he would just need to swallow... :) But then it might be a good idea to take out the "plant and animal parts".

oilsands... yeah, might work, but then, that's pretty far out, because as I understand, these oilsands are not very easy to access, and the aliens need A LOT of alien composites. plus the Silabrate still needs some kind of ingestion system to take them up.

Edited by Moriarty

Guest Azrael
I like the idea of the Silabrate consuming biological materials for carbon, sounds good and would give a twist into the Alien strategy and the Alien Harvest mission (and it'd deserve it's own new paragraph into my extra-large Alien Goal text :P)

SILABRATE AUTOPSY

Conducting autopsy research on a dead Silabrate specimen was a delicate operation that was carefully planned and executed. The use of Computer-Assisted Surgery (CAS) was inevitable. Preliminary study of the carcass proposed a skin temperature of 600 Kelvin at the time of death, which suggested an enormously exothermic interior of the body. Thus, a special thermal-shielded operating table was manufactured and then installed in the examination room. The CAS console was set up in a corner of the room, with a durable anti-thermal glass wall separating it from the operating theater.

Our research team soon discovered that the toughness of the skin of the Silabrate greatly exceeds the capabilities of common surgical tools, such as scalpels. High-frequency surgical laser was an effective alternative. With the removal of what we estimated to be the equivalent of the epidermis, thermal sensors recorded a sharp increase in temperature which stabilised at around 450 Kelvin despite the fact that the alien had been dead for many hours.

Samples from the skin were extracted for analysis. The toughness of the skin is enough to break most matter into small pieces which the Silabrate can eat and digest via its stomas. We now have proof that Alien Composites are produced internally and then slowly migrate to the visible outer layer of the skin. The Silabrate metabolism can easily convert a grand variety of chemical substances and materials even with fairly high melting points. Apparently, these reactions take place in one of the two Silabrate organs, which works like a reaction chamber, lined with highly durable tissue. The contents of this organ turned out to be a heterogeneous mixture of collected materials, including plant and animal parts as well as a variety of rocks and metals.

A significant quantity of an unusual compound was detected within the hot body fluids. It is suspected that this compound is the key factor in the production of the catalyst needed to efficiently create Alien Composites at relatively low temperatures.

The second gland-like structure is the rough equivalent of a heart, which takes up approximately 35% of the total body mass. Apart from circulating the Silabrate's body fluids, it also synthesizes the energy-rich compounds needed to sustain the Silabrate. The energy is stored as molecules with high-energy bonds and then used by the cells whenever needed. In addition, it produces the extraordinary thermal output the Silabrate needs for the production of Alien Composites.

We do not know if Silabrates are the main production agents of Alien Composites or just an alternative production factor. We have concluded that the Aliens may have genetically engineered the Silabrate in order to convert various materials into Alien Composites ready for use. The idea of using Silabrates to our own advantage was tempting, but proved impossible to effectuate. Live Silabrates are just too dangerous to be used for production. We have tried to insert substances into dead Silabrates, but we did not succeed in stimulating the synthesis procedure. In order to produce Alien Composites, we must utilize our own chemistry methods.

- X-Corps Christmas song

• 1 month later...

Rolling with the digestion idea, how does this sound?

Samples from the adamantine skin were extracted for analysis. The combination of heat and excreted digestive fluids is enough to dissolve most organic matter on contact, allowing the Silabrate to absorb the pre-digested components through its epidermal stomas.

Edit- Um, how does the Silabrate attack again?

Edited by Astyanax

The attack should be included in the live study, I assume by releasing heat in some way.

(cute signature smiley you got there :P)

That rat-bastard... <_>

*sigh* It's been a heck of a rough week. *goes off to fix sig*...

The Silabrate metabolism can easily convert a grand variety of chemical substances and materials even with fairly high melting points.
Minor comment: perhaps "assimilate" or "incorporate" instead of "convert"? "Convert" isn't quite the right word. And if my suggestion in my previous post is heeded, "chemical substances" maybe should be "organic substances"?

(and good luck on your midterms, Az.)

• 2 weeks later...

hmmm. can anyone find anything in the art department besides this: silabrate concept ?

it seems not a lot of work has been done on the silabrate. and since the art department guys always give me the "art department has always taken precedence over creative text" line... oh well.

didn't we choose a liaison officer for artctd communication? this would be a job. find out what is going on with the silabrate and whether we have do prepare for any changes in concept.

oh, and just for completeness' sake, here's the thread about the live silabrate: CTD - Silabrate

[i don't mean to sound too pissed, and I know forum re-organization is a difficult and dangerous thing to do, but it [i]really[/i] is annoying that you have to search through four subforums (that branch from two forum structures upstream) to try and find whether something you need even exists. oh wait, seven subforums, if you count the "proofreading", "phase one" and "phase 2" into it.]

hmmm. can anyone find anything in the art department besides this: silabrate concept ?

it seems not a lot of work has been done on the silabrate. and since the art department guys always give me the "art department has always taken precedence over creative text" line... oh well.

didn't we choose a liaison officer for art<->ctd communication? this would be a job. find out what is going on with the silabrate and whether we have do prepare for any changes in concept.

oh, and just for completeness' sake, here's the thread about the live silabrate: CTD - Silabrate

[i don't mean to sound too pissed, and I know forum re-organization is a difficult and dangerous thing to do, but it [i]really[/i] is annoying that you have to search through four subforums (that branch from two forum structures upstream) to try and find whether something you need even exists. oh wait, seven subforums, if you count the "proofreading", "phase one" and "phase 2" into it.]

There are only three subforums: Active, Complete and Proofread (within Complete). Using Search function in your browser it shouldn't take you more than a minute to search for something, or if you want to save time, you can go to the links in the Asset List.

Edit: Right, wasn't counting Active: Proofreading Taskforce. As I said, use the Asset List links.

Edited by Azrael

[offtopic]

Active Tasks > Active: Creative Text

Active Tasks > X-Net Proof Taskforce

Completed Tasks > Complete: Creative Text

Active Tasks > Active: Art

Completed Tasks > Complete: Art

...okay, so it's "only" five :P

[/offtopic]

what about the silabrate, then? The concept picture does not really fit the already completed live Silabrate text ("rock-like appearance") which appears to be describing the X-Com silacoid instead. the concept picture silacoid looks rather more complicated, which will probably necessitate major changes to the silabrate text IF the concept picture is what is going to be used.

Ah, you were talking about Art too, the Art forums are rather... messy, unfortunately it'd be hard to sort and Vaaish doesn't have the people to do it at the moment, so the best way to find something in there is to use the SVN repository and look around.

I'll take a look at it, but it will probably be sorted when proofread, sometime in the future (unless it's urgent).

• 8 months later...

So, there is an issue with this text... When we wrote this CT (many months ago), we were at first based on my version. Then, at post #29, there was an updated version written by Exo, Chmmr and Sectopod. Then, Azrael asked us to work on my version. It seems that I didn't really notice the other version that time. Now that I reviewed the whole Silabrate Autopsy thread, seeking reference and information, I see that their version had the existing art model in mind, although the text contained many information that don't fit in the accepted Xenocide Universe, like black Xenium Crystals, depleted xenium, Silabrates turning into a harvesting menace etc. I think it is vital that these two versions get merged by gathering the best parts of both and working on a new, more complete draft. I will both the latest drafts of both versions, with minor corrections (mainly spelling and grammar).

Reference to the Live Silabrate thread

SILABRATE AUTOPSY

Conducting autopsy research on a dead Silabrate specimen was a delicate operation that was carefully planned and executed. The use of Computer Aided Surgery (CAS) was inevitable. Preliminary study of the carcass proposed a skin temperature of approximately 600 Kelvin at the time of death, which suggested an enormously exothermic interior of the body. Thus, a special thermal-shielded operating table was manufactured and then installed in the examination room. The CAS console was set up in a corner of the room, with a durable anti-thermal glass wall separating it from the operating theater.

It seems that the creature slowly produces Alien Composites, which are physiologically integrated into its body as the outer layer of the skin or, in the presence of abundant raw materials, excreted. Although rather simple in appearance, the Silabrate body apparently operates in a remarkable way. At the same time, field reports indicate that Silabrates are low-intelligence organisms. With only this initial information, the operation started.

Our research team soon discovered that the toughness of the skin of the Silabrate greatly exceeds the capabilities of common surgical tools, such as scalpels. High-frequency surgical laser was an effective alternative. With the removal of what we estimated to be the equivalent of the epidermis, thermal sensors recorded a sharp increase in temperature, which stabilized at around 450 Kelvin despite the fact that the alien had been dead for many hours.

Samples from the skin were extracted for analysis. The toughness of the skin is enough to break most matter into small pieces that the Silabrate can eat and digest via its stomas. We now have proof that Alien Composites are produced internally and then slowly migrate to the visible outer layer of the skin. The Silabrate metabolism can easily convert a grand variety of chemical substances and materials even with high melting points. Apparently, these reactions take place in one of the two Silabrate organs, which works like a reaction chamber, lined with highly durable tissue. The contents of this organ turned out to be a heterogeneous mixture of collected materials, including plant and animal parts as well as a variety of rocks and metals.

The inner layer of the skin itself functions as a sensory, neural and muscular system at the same time. These multipurpose cells are capable of information uptake and processing, but also possess the necessary contractility to produce locomotion.

The second gland-like structure is the rough equivalent of a heart, which takes up approximately 35% of the total body mass. Apart from circulating the Silabrate's body fluids, it also synthesizes the energy-rich compounds needed to sustain the Silabrate. The energy is stored as molecules with high-energy bonds and then used by the cells whenever needed. In addition, it produces the extraordinary thermal output the Silabrate needs for the production of Alien Composites.

- X-Corps Christmas song

The Silabrate is a creature which, when under the surgical laser, reveals a massive amount of secrets. From a glance by X-Corps soldiers, it appears to be a creature comprised of molten lava, slithering across the battlefield, leaving a scorched trail in it's wake. After some detailed analysis, we now understand what makes the Silabrate have it's molten appearence.

Originally said knife, and it's known the Silabrate is far, far too hot for knives.

Slithering sounds better than stumbling, really. Something can't really stumble if it hasn't got legs.

It's outer shell is at least 5 inches thick, and contains a fairly liberal amount of Alien Composites, which explains why the Silabrate takes a hefty amount of weaponsfire before being reduced to a heap of slag metals. X-Corps soldiers also noted that when the Silabrate stopped functioning, it lost it's lava-like look, as if it had dried out, much like a hardened lava flow. What we found underneath the shell of the creature was even more puzzling.

Minor make-it-sound-better changes. Mostly to do with words used. Pummelling sounds like melee attacks, stupidity against a creature like this. Weaponsfire, on the other hand... ;)

Inside the creature we found what we can describe as "depleted Xenium". We had found massive amounts of black crystals inside the heart of the Silabrate. These black crystals had the residual trace of the element Xenium, although these residual traces would hardly be of use to X-Corps. We suspect that the Xenium crystals are used to power the heart structure.

First bit of that was Chmmr's, I just added the end line because of my own edits, to explain bits of it. Noticed another error, mostly an extra comma that was replaced with other stuff.

The molten appearance of the Silabrate is, from what we can determine, the inner core of the creature undergoing the transformation processes, allowing it to break down most matter into it's base components, then recombining them into Alien Composites.

Went a bit more geeky on it there, explained in better detail than just that the Xenium is reacting with it.

Examining further, our scientists had found an unusual device, which from what we gather, can receive psychic signals from any transmitter within a wide radius, allowing them to be controlled by the other aliens. The device has no recognition, so the signals are easily hijacked and the Silabrate turned against it's masters. It's too stupid to know better, it's made to follow orders. Should the device somehow be destroyed and the Silabrate survive, it will go on a feeding frenzy, attempting to consume any matter viable for transformation into Alien Composites.

Also contained within is a heart, and a vacuole of some kind. The heart is, from what we can discern, an organic micro-fusion reactor slash atomic smelter and forge, generating not only energy for the creature, but also breaking down any matter consumed and recombining the base atoms into Alien Composites. Any matter consumed and not used is stored in the vacuole as a liquid. The storage area is the coolest internal part of the Silabrate, allowing anything in it to be stored as a liquid rather than a gas.

Going back to the "3 internal structures" thing from kaffy's version.

If the heart is struck and ripped open by weaponsfire, the Silabrate will cease functioning, instantly cooling and hardening into a lump of inert silicon and base metals such as iron and copper, as well as it's outer shell of Alien Composites. Unfortunately, it's unusuable to us, as it's bent in a useless shape, and is also welded to a large mass of base metals. Scientists suspect that this is supposed to be some sort of defense mechanism. The inner structure is, however, perfectly preserved.

Excuse as to why you get no Alien Composites for killing one, but can autopsy it. I pretty much adlibbed that paragraph.

As the Silabrate's shell is so thick, it's surprising how it can move so fast, however, by increasing it's surface temperature, it can break the shell into "plates" and slither along, much like a slug. This has the effect of exposing the ground below it to the temperatures, which means it leaves scorched, smoking trails behind it as it moves.

Original explanation was it moves the Xenium inside it and therefore moves itself... why not give it a much more basic propulsion method that explains why it burns the ground it passes over?

The Silabrate is almost totally immune to laser weaponry as well as explosives and it thrives in fire, therefore making incendiary weapons useless. Most bullets crush against it's shell, or are simply vaporised by the heat generated, and are therefore useless. It is, however, vulnerable to the plasma technology the aliens use, meaning we can use the alien plasma weaponry to kill it.

X-Corps soldiers must aim directly at the core of the Silabrate, and focus their fire, if they hope to kill it. if you see the original, it didn't make as much sense If the soldiers manage to penetrate the shell deep enough, they can hit the "heart" and stop the Silabrate's relentless advance. The psychic device is extremely sensitive to stun weaponry, however, offering a great chance for us to study this Alien Composites based creature, provided they can capture it alive.

Finally, it's only method of attacking is lashing out with whiplike tendrils of lava, searing flesh and burning through most armour. The tendrils are made on a needed-to-be-used basis, and otherwise they are hidden.

Sqd. Gudbrand Poul: "I..it... it freakin' burned through that guy like a hot knife through frickin` butter, man! Poor guy just stood there firing his gun at it uselessly. Moments later, his charred uniform fell to the ground. The stench of burning flesh was horrible... ugh..."

Scientist Kendal Sameer: "It appears that it is a biological factory for Alien Composites. I have no doubt that larger, immobile variants of this creature exist on the alien home base, maybe even any bases they establish here. Either way, these things should be terminated as soon as possible.

Edited by kafros

• 2 weeks later...

SILABRATE AUTOPSY

Conducting autopsy research on a dead Silabrate specimen was a delicate operation that was carefully planned and executed. The use of Computer Aided Surgery (CAS) was inevitable. Preliminary study of the carcass proposed a skin temperature of approximately 600 Kelvin at the time of death, which suggested an enormously exothermic interior of the body. Thus, a special thermal-shielded operating table was manufactured and then installed in the examination room. The CAS console was set up in a corner of the room, with a durable anti-thermal glass wall separating it from the operating theater.

When X-Corps soldiers first encountered it, they reported that it appeared to comprise of molten lava, slithering across the battlefield, leaving a scorched trail in its wake. It was also noted that when the Silabrate stopped functioning, it lost its lava-like form as if it had dried out, much like a hardened lava flow. After some detailed analysis, we now understand what makes the Silabrate have its molten appearance. It seems that the creature slowly produces high-temperature Alien Composites, which are physiologically integrated into its body as the outer layer of the skin or, in the presence of abundant raw materials, excreted. Although rather simple in appearance, the Silabrate body apparently operates in a remarkable way.

Our research team soon discovered that the toughness of the skin of the Silabrate greatly exceeds the capabilities of common surgical tools, such as scalpels. High-frequency surgical laser was an effective alternative. With the removal of what we estimated to be the equivalent of the epidermis, thermal sensors recorded a sharp increase in temperature, which stabilized at around 450 Kelvin despite the fact that the alien had been dead for many hours.

Samples from the skin were extracted for analysis. The creature’s biology is based on silicon, providing enough toughness to break most matter into small pieces that the Silabrate can eat via its stoma. We now have proof that Alien Composites are produced internally and then slowly migrate to the visible outer layer of the skin. The Silabrate metabolism can easily assimilate a grand variety of organic substances and materials. Apparently, these metabolic reactions take place in one of the two Silabrate organs, which works like a reaction chamber, lined with highly durable tissue. The contents of this huge vacuole turned out to be a heterogeneous mixture of collected materials, including plant and animal parts as well as a variety of rocks and even metals. The molten appearance of the Silabrate is the inner core of the creature undergoing the transformation processes, allowing it to break down assimilated matter into its base components, then recombining them into Alien Composites.

The inner layer of the skin itself functions as a sensory, neural and muscular system at the same time. These multipurpose cells possess the necessary contractility to produce locomotion. Moreover, have psychic information uptake and processing abilities, allowing them to be controlled Aliens. They have no recognition; the signals can possibly be hijacked, turning the Silabrate against its masters. Should the cells stop receiving information, the Silabrate will go on a feeding frenzy, attempting to consume any matter viable for transformation into Alien Composites.

The second gland-like structure is the rough equivalent of a heart, which takes up approximately 40% of the total body mass. Apart from circulating the Silabrate's body fluids, it also synthesizes the energy-rich compounds needed to sustain the Silabrate. The energy is stored as molecules with high-energy bonds and then used by the cells whenever needed. In addition, it produces the extraordinary thermal output the Silabrate needs for the production of Alien Composites.

- X-Corps Christmas song

Good draft!

SILABRATE AUTOPSY

Conducting autopsy research on a dead Silabrate specimen was a delicate operation that was carefully planned and executed. The use of Computer Aided Surgery (CAS) was inevitable. Preliminary study of the carcass proposed a skin temperature of approximately 600 Kelvin at the time of death, which suggested an enormously exothermic interior of the body. Thus, a special thermal-shielded operating table was manufactured using Alien Alloys and then installed in the examination room. The CAS console was set up in a corner of the room, with a durable anti-thermal glass wall separating it from the operating theater.

This is a fast step with a huge gap. Maybe make the second § the first one, followed by the one currently introducing the CT.

When X-Corps soldiers first encountered it this species?, they reported that it appeared to comprise of molten lava, slithering across the battlefield, leaving a scorched trail in its wake. It was also noted that when the Silabrate stopped functioning after all it's a lifeform, so maybe ended his life, seized it's existance...? , it lost its lava-like form as if it had dried out, much like a hardened lava flow. After some detailed analysis, we now understand what makes the Silabrate have its molten appearance. It seems that the creature slowly produces high-temperature Alien Composites, which are physiologically integrated into its body as the outer layer of the skin or, in the presence of abundant raw materials, excreted. Although rather simple in appearance, the Silabrate body apparently operates in a remarkable way.

Our research team soon discovered that the toughness of the skin of the Silabrate greatly exceeds the capabilities of common surgical tools, such as scalpels. High-frequency surgical laser I would recommend "adapted industrial lasers, normally used in our workshops..." to point out the remarkability of this "hull" was an effective alternative. With the removal of what we estimated to be the equivalent of the epidermis, thermal sensors recorded a sharp increase in temperature, which stabilized at around 450 Kelvin despite the fact that the alien had been dead for many hours for a long time - we don't know after which time the player will do the autopsy.

Samples from the skin Skinsamples? were extracted for analysis. The creature’s biology is based on silicon, providing enough toughness to break most matter into small pieces that the Silabrate can eat via its stoma. We now have proof that Alien Composites are produced internally and then slowly migrate to the visible outer layer of the skin. The Silabrate metabolism can easily assimilate a grand variety of organic substances and materials. Apparently, these metabolic reactions take place in one of the two Silabrate organs, which works like a reaction chamber, lined with highly durable tissue. The contents of this huge vacuole turned out to be a heterogeneous mixture of collected materials, including plant and animal parts as well as a variety of rocks and even metals. The molten appearance of the Silabrate is the inner core of the creature undergoing the transformation processes, allowing it to break down assimilated matter into its base components, then recombining them into Alien Composites.

The inner layer of the skin itself functions as a sensory, neural and muscular system at the same time. These multipurpose cells possess the necessary contractility to produce locomotion. Moreover, they have psychic information uptake and processing abilities, allowing them to be controlled by other Aliens. This is a very problematic paragraph, since the player may not have researched MC yet. They have no recognition; the signals can possibly be hijacked, turning the Silabrate against its masters. Should the cells stop receiving information, the Silabrate will go on a feeding frenzy, attempting to consume any matter viable for transformation into Alien Composites.

The second gland-like structure is the rough equivalent of a heart, which takes up approximately 40% of the total body mass. Apart from circulating the Silabrate's body fluids, it also synthesizes the energy-rich compounds needed to sustain the Silabrate. The energy is stored as molecules with high-energy bonds and then used by the cells whenever needed. In addition, it produces the extraordinary thermal output the Silabrate needs for the production of Alien Composites.

- X-Corps Christmas song

SILABRATE AUTOPSY

When X-Corps soldiers first encountered this species, they reported that it appeared to comprise of molten lava, slithering across the battlefield, leaving a scorched trail in its wake. It was also noted that when a Silabrate seizes its biological functions, it loses its lava-like form as if it had dried out, much like a hardened lava flow. After some detailed analysis, we now understand what makes the Silabrate have its molten appearance. It seems that the creature slowly produces high-temperature Alien Composites, which are physiologically integrated into its body as the outer layer of the skin or, in the presence of abundant raw materials, excreted. Although rather simple in appearance, the Silabrate body apparently operates in a remarkable way.

Conducting autopsy research on a dead Silabrate specimen was a delicate operation that was carefully planned and executed. The use of Computer Aided Surgery (CAS) was inevitable. Preliminary study of the carcass proposed a skin temperature of approximately 800 Kelvin at the time of death, which suggested an enormously exothermic interior of the body. Moreover, its temperature before the start of the operation was still quite high for the durability of a typical operating table. Thus, a specially shielded operating table was manufactured using anti-thermal alloys and installed in the examination room. The CAS console was set up at the corner of the operating theater, with a durable anti-thermal glass wall separating it from the autopsy table.

Our research team soon discovered that the toughness of the skin of the Silabrate greatly exceeds the capabilities of common surgical tools, such as scalpels. Industrial lasers, normally used in our workshops, were an effective alternative. With the removal of what we estimated to be the equivalent of the epidermis, thermal sensors recorded a sharp increase in temperature, which stabilized at around 450 Kelvin despite the fact that the Alien had been dead for a long time.

Skin samples were extracted for analysis. The creature’s biology is based on silicon, providing enough toughness to break most matter into small pieces that the Silabrate can eat via its stoma. We now have proof that Alien Composites are produced internally and then slowly migrate to the visible outer layer of the skin. The Silabrate metabolism can easily assimilate a grand variety of organic substances and materials. Apparently, these metabolic reactions take place in one of the two Silabrate organs, which works like a reaction chamber, lined with highly durable tissue. The contents of this huge vacuole turned out to be a heterogeneous mixture of collected materials, including plant and animal parts as well as a variety of rocks and even metals. The molten appearance of the Silabrate is the inner core of the creature undergoing the transformation processes, allowing it to break down assimilated matter into its base components, then recombining them into Alien Composites.

The inner layer of the skin itself functions as a sensory, neural and muscular system at the same time. These multipurpose cells possess the necessary contractility to produce locomotion. Moreover, they have the ability to sense other alien species in proximity to them. Should the fellow Aliens perish, the Silabrate will go on a feeding frenzy, attempting to consume any matter viable for transformation into Alien Composites.

- X-Corps Christmas song

Edited by kafros