XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Apoc Mmorpg

deanfrz

Would Xcom Apoc make a baddass MMORPG?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think it would make a totally awesome MMORPG. I remember people talking about how hard it would be to make Xcom1 into MM but then I started thinking xcom3 would be a perfect MMORPG. You start at the spaceport and you can join a gang, or join and organization. If you rise in skill level and become a crack Sensovision commando, you might be asked to join Xcom, or you could work your way from MegaPol beat cop up to SWAT team member then quit and join Marsec.

I think it would be pretty wild. But maybe that's just me and my desire to blow the crap out of a certain lavoritory object from a firstperson persective.

The problem is how would you eventually defeat the aliens? If the answer like in most MMORPG’s is that you can’t, then how would you rationalise it? Is this a parallel universe in which X-com never figured out how to use the inter-dimensional technology, so we just keep beating the aliens back?

I think it would be damn cool but a lot of work would need to be done on both the fluff and concepts of an x-com MMORPG’s

Hmm...Here's an idea: The game takes place after the ending of Apoc. Most alien tech, including disruptor beams and stuff cease functioning after the destruction of the dimension gate generator. Only thing you DO still have is the disruptor armor, because it's so damn cool.

Game then proceeds from there, with people starting off as being unaligned, and then choosing where they'll go, yadda yadda...

How about everytime the aliens or the human side wins the server resets so you start a fresh game just like Diablo II?

I'm just wondering, is anyone thinking there should be a choice between choosing either side or just one side? Eventually somebody has to die and I'm not sure whether or not it would be a good idea to impose a permanent death feature.

Yes. Server resets every year (Real time). I can normally drag a game out to 32 or so weeks (game time) when I want to. So let’s say that the Aliens progress at half speed, by the end, you have an over spawn rampaging through the city and you know that at this point, the Aliens have only two months to finish the take over (time to reset is 2 months real time).

if people want to work for the Aliens then let them work for the cult, instead of x-com or gangs. but they shouldn’t be the Aliens, they should all be really strong super smart NPC's or may be they are controlled by a bunch or subscription only (or hand picked by system admin) ppl that have signed a contract only to communicate with the cult, other aliens and infested organisations and who are, for the duration of the server, pure 3\/1L.

Sound playable?

And to ensure ppl don’t get pissed of cause their level 78.2, strength 1 zillion character with everything but a company named after him. We say, half the stats (round up), reset all the weapons, reset the alignment to x-com, cult, aliens and keep the rest. Giving the long term player a reward for sticking with a server that resets after a win/loss result. Then again, we could give them that option.

Should be working GTG :wave:

I like the idea of admin-hand-picked aliens.

Perhaps if you advance above a certain rank within a Corp. then you can choose to rejoin that Corp. at base entry level without any difficulties. You just have to ask.

Character Races:

Human:

The most balanced race. Average across the board but weak Psi. Soft targets. Easily killed.

Mutant:

Weaker in terms of strength and speed, but powerful Psi. Can stun/panic/berserk enemies without a Mind-Bender.

Robot:

Strongest, fastest, toughest. No Psi attack (nearly invincible vs. Psi attacks though) BUT they cannot improve in skills/stats very quickly at all. Instead, must buy special upgrades from malls and get them installed.

Alien:

Special - only picked by admin. Players with this race can control any form of alien, but can only control the weaker aliens at the start. (Brainsucker (NPC attacking only), Spitter, Anthropod)

Basically, the Brainsuckers can only ever attack NPC's. If they succeed, then the player gains control of that NPC until the NPC is killed. So if they get it right, they can take over the head of a gang and wage an underground war on X-COM.

NPC's should fall under three classes;

Civvies: Corp. Employees. Panic easily. Run away.

Soldiers: X-COM grunts, military troops. (Marsec, Gangs) Don't panic much, ever.

Guards/Police: Megapol grunts, Corp. Defense. Panic under heavy fire, or if faced with big guns.

Good idea, Cpl. Facehugger. I'm having trouble with this "get new droid parts at the mall" idea, though. I mean, how realistic is that? Androids are pretty much banned from the city in Apoc. How did they get stores in the public malls?

Maybe I should change avatar?

¬¬

Facehugger's' one has a funky background. Mine doesn't. Co-incidence we share the same dude in our avatars. Mine was inspired by his.

~~

They're banned from procreating within city limits... but the malls are mostly online shopping, the actual buildings are there for "try-before-you-buy". So they could easily order it and have it transported to their apartment, or place of work. They're allowed to work within city limits, just not procreate. I know this because I MC'd a civvie with an uber-soldier and the civvie was a robot. ;)

Good idea about the brain suckers but i dont think that i would want to be forced to play that way if i were an alien player (having worked hard to get to that level to be chosen an all)

I think that players should be able to controle the higher aliens (not psi lords or megaspawns) the Anthropod and yellow ones (skeletoids?) cause they are the 'most human' in terms of thought and build. once they have brain sucked an NPC give them that choice but dont force them to do it

on the avatar thing can get a little confusing, i would ask that one of you change but that would cause all sorts of problems...like this :cussing: , meh if you keep getting mistaked for someone else change, if not, then dont. its not really my place

Ah, but the thing is, you could return control to your Alien avatar to tell the other aliens about your achievements as the controlled character, and then take them over again.

Definitely only the "higher-level" aliens, Anthropods and Skeletoids. Spitters would be an option RIGHT at the beginning, and Psimorphs if you wanted to risk it. (Psimorphs can ONLY use psychic attacks, no weapons)

It'd be kinda funny to play as a colony of Micronoids infesting a building... finally the X-COM agents arrive and the building is full of green slime... you could order other bits of you to attack as NPCs and try and take control of the agents as they walk through the slimed halls and look around warily as the slime occasionally does something.

Or perhaps the server admin would be allowed to do that... his avatar would be a HUGE special Micronoid Aggregate that would be like a Megaspawn. He could occasionally infest buildings to keep the X-COM/Org players on their toes.

I'll get a list of possible org ranks by saturday maybe :D

It'd be pretty awesome if this COULD be made...

This game would be cool but it could never be made.

However, after xenocide reaches v2.0, then may be the xenocide group and other open source groups could make a xenocide MMORPG! think about THAT :idea:

cool or what, i personaly would put my name on that (creative team). but i think that is is wish full thinking before xenocide is in post v1.0

It could be made, its basically Star Wars: Galaxies in the city. All that would have to be done is to change the names.

"The Toronto/New York Metropolitan Area is in the grip of the evil Church of Centauri and their transdimensional alien allies. The TPD and UN Extraterrestrial Response Agency: UNERA , are all that stand between the city and total distruction." Or something to that effect. Although it would require real software company resources.

Edited by deanfrz