XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Lasers In Xenocide

Guest Azrael Strife

Pulse or beam?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Lasers on X-Com were pulse lasers, IMO, at least that's what it looked like from the animation (could be wrong). I saw how lasers work (anims) in UFO2000 and they are continuous beams, what I picture lasers like (though I kinda like the pulse ones better).

So, what are we going to use in Xenocide? I suppose it's as easy to code a beam as it is a pulse blast, so I suppose we could vote (please someone tell me if this has been decided or if it's easier to do it in a particular way).

IIRC it doesn't really matter because each will appear as an almost instantaneous beam directed at the target... a pulse one might appear to flicker but thats about it.

IIRC it doesn't really matter because each will appear as an almost instantaneous beam directed at the target... a pulse one might appear to flicker but thats about it.

Not if we do it the way it was done in X-Com :) check out a laser animation from there, an one from UFO2000 and you'll see the difference, it's pretty clear :)

I believe that since we are going for realism that we will be making it a beam weapon, by your definitions of pulse and beam. At least, that is the direction we were heading prior to this poll. I voted for beam. Let the bolts be for plasma weapons or something.

Even though I like pulse, I agree with you :) I am not even sure if it's physically possible to make laser bolts.

well.. depends on how fast you can look.. :) If you fire short pulses and are able to view that fast, that you can see the light travel, then it should be no problem to see "bolts" :P (you'll just have to have a little fight with Einstein... )

Oh, now that I think of it... you could fire the Laser in a very dense crystaline structure. Inside the structure the speed of light is far below the vacuum speed of light, there are crystals in which light travels at "only" 20 m/sec. There one could see the light travel.. :)

The only remaining problem would be to get the alien inside that crystal... :D

Edited by Mad