XCOMUFO & Xenocide

You Know What Id Love To See?

I remember playing the game and researching/building those massive base defenses - laser, plasma, blaster etc and getting so frustrated tht it wouldnt shoot down enemy aircraft as they went past cos u cud only use them when U wer attacket... so how about a way of placing around the geoscape (at a hefty cost) gun platforms that could automatically fire a barrage at a passing ufo so u then send in your troops to recover the wreck (or finish the job)

It would be good aswell if you could include this in the battlescape, a platform that u deploy from a tank - a man sits in it and hey hes got a big missile launcher or minigun etc

dam sorry I posted this in the wrong place

Edited by Ghost5831

I'm with you as far as expanding the usefulness of base defense platforms goes. Maybe they should be able to engage passing craft. It's a thought!

No no no thats not what I meant at all LOL, remember that X-com bases are top secret UNDERGROUND facilities that they did not want the aliens discovering the location of <_ what i wanted was another location which also underground like a missile silo could shoot down passing aircraft and then hide back>

I guess you could add them to the "Intercept" list so that they wernt totally automatic and it would fire upon a craft as soon as its in range.

Any ideas about how they could be destroyed?

Mobile SAM and Plasma AAA is certainly a technical possiblity. However region defence with even mobile anti-aircraft platforms is very impractical. At most a single platform has a radius of 100 miles. The amount needed to even begin an adequate defence of any continent would be prohibitively expensive. In general anti-aircraft and anti-missle platforms are designed for area defence, several hundred square miles rather than entire regions. Having several in concentric rings around bases would be wise, but otherwise overly expensive and easily bypassed.

• 3 weeks later...
It would have to be missile systems then. Different research tree would be needed as newer, better missiles are invented. Hypersonic missiles. Stealth missiles. Cloaked missiles. Improved targeting. Sub munitions. Multiple warheads. Fusion detonation core. Etc.

I like the line of thinking here - as far as determining how you'd stretch out and set up defenses for different reasons. For example, the only reason I can see why you'd set up this kind of a continental missile delivery coverage is to hold onto that region's funding levels. Underlying reasons could be because it is a delaying tactic for the supporting continent to be able to muster its own defenses over time i.e. you reap some ally AI unit benefits in some battles that take place in the region be it Geoscape interceptions or Battlescape actions.

A tertiary reason could be because you have major off site construction projects that will need long term protection until completion (countries could take over the defense of these places for you eventually), off site HWP, Interceptor or Skyranger manufacturing plants, weapons factories or storage houses that contain any or all of these kinds of things (in the event of a base being overrun or leasing arrangements you made to third parties to use - this is where they'd all be kept).

I think its a nice addition to the idea of territory control at any rate. Plus it adds objectives you could add to the guerilla playstyle i.e. your men live in tents for the most part but they still have ships or vehicles to move around with. Missile platforms if in enemy possession are good objectives for takeover to your side as well and could help with the notion of starting from scratch with a new base or as reason for extra protection for after you'd taken an alien base to make a new foothold.

I think to limit them, these small defense posts should just have 2 or three buildable terrain spaces for a little bit of variety in protection levels a player could want. i.e.

You could have 3 missile batteries for maximum single firing potential (ordinance mixed or kept the same if preferred), 2 missile batteries plus one grav shield for the most repeat firing capability, or you could go with one missile battery, grav shield and a living quarters for a small garrison (I didn't include storage since the solders should have whatever they can carry - - or it could be a module customization thing where you could make the volume of unused living quarter capacity become storage space).

Another limit on them could be that only the missile bays can be on a subterrainean level, leaving the other building types exposed. For Battlescape purposes though, these buildings could be disguised among any others around for a minimum level of security. Also a battlescape for these should never have to load unless it had units stationed at one, otherwise it could just be a Geoscape bombardable target.