XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Expanding The Community

JoeJoe

Expanding the community of players of UFO2000 is always a good thing. Bringing UFO2000 to a community that is already established may achieve this.

Now this may seem a little far fetched at first, but let me explain and I will show you how this idea might work.

The Community:

There is a web-based game called the Star Wars Combine. It is not like the usual web-based games where you gather turns every 10 minutes or so, it is rather a MMORPG that is played via your web-browser. You have a character, they are physically in a universe, you gather items, fly ships, the whole deal. It has a few thousand ACTIVE members (no log ons in 7 days makes you inactive) The community is fairly diverse and open to new things.

What does Star Wars have to do with X-COM?

very little, but that doesn't matter. UFO2000 is so versatile, with the ability to create custom weapons, maps, you name it (props to those who made this possible). A weapons set for "star wars" related weapons, like a light saber, blaster gun, etc can easily be incorporated into UFO2000. Poof, now UFO2000 is ready for star wars geeks and the like.

Bringing UFO2000 to the SWC community:

SWC has a system called the Galactic News Service. it is the main output of new, information, updates, etc. All the content is created by the players, mainly Media Factions. I am part of one of these media factions. What I want to do, is bring UFO2000 into the SWC as a sort of "sports league". Players of the SWC can create teams, register those teams with my media faction, and then play on the UFO2000 server.

How this works:

Once the ufo2k server is stable enough to do this, recording the wins and losses for the league will be easy. Updates on its progress will be featured on the SWC's news service.

I think this idea could really work. it would benefit UFO2k greatly and would expand its player base.

More information: http://www.swcombine.com/community/news/simnews.php

Suggestions are welcome:

• 2 weeks later...
This idea of advertising to other forms of fanbases, such as Star Wars, might just be what Ufo2k needs right now. Activity is slim (well...none), and perhaps we could find an experienced c++ programmer or two out of the player base. That being said though, mods take artists. Besides me (not really a Star Wars fan), I don't know if or there is any artists here who would take part in this. In theory, we could build our player base, but who will help make this happen in terms of work? Edited by Kratos

• 2 weeks later...