XCOMUFO & Xenocide

X-com Apocalypse In Vista

Puasonen

Hi folks!

Not many of you probably have come across this problem yet since vista isn't released but I happen to have it. I have the version of apoc which is downloadable around the internet, the one withouth the music. It works fine on xp but vista says "This system does not support fullscreen mode. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application." I have done everything I can but I can't get over this.

I tried to run it in dosbox too, it starts well and it let's me watch the intro but after that, it freezes to the startscreen (shown on the picture)

PLEASE HELP!

- Puasonen

xcomapoc.jpg

Edited by Puasonen

I am running vista ultimate and have not tried it yet. but have you tried compatibility mode? do you have the latest vista drivers for your graphics card?

how come you do not have aero turned on?

I have tried all the compatibility settings. It's impossible to get it run on vista. I think it's possible to play with dosbox but I guess I'm doing something wrong with it because this is my first time I use it. (No experience)

For example cpu cycle: the higher it is, the more it slows computer? what would be a good value for it with 3700+ amd?

Frameskip: WTF is this?

And aero is turned on :o

Edited by Puasonen

I had problems getting apoc to work in xp on dosbox.. you never told me what drivers for your graphics card you have.

yes the higher the cycles, the more load it puts on the cpu there for the slower it makes it - im pretty sure have not used in a while

frame skip - skips frames to lower the load on the graphic card to try and make it smoother.

I tell you what, sending you a pm.

works fine for me (vista that is, im working on apoc) if you have any questions let me know

that sucks, I cant even run anything for it because I am using x64 version of windows... time to try dosbox....

edit well it was choppy with sound i just need to increase the cycles and i should be good. Didn't have time to wait until the menu came I had to get back to "work" :) I'll post tonight on my success

Edited by Darkhomb

Well I don't know anything about vista, but a google search for the error message you received gave this result: (it's for WordPerfect, but worth a try anyway :) )

(1) On your Windows Vista computer, click on the Vista "pearl" where the Start Menu used to be and enter the word "COMMAND" (no quotation marks); a DOS prompt should open. Press Alt-Enter, which normally switches between windowed and full-screen mode. If you get an error message saying "This system does not support fullscreen mode", then proceed to step (2), after entering "exit" to close the window. Otherwise, enter "exit" to close the command prompt, and proceed to step (3).

(2) If you want to be able to use WPDOS in its traditional 25-line full-screen mode, and you got an error message when you tried the experiment in step (1), then you must use Vista's "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" video driver instead of whatever driver you or Windows installed for use with your video hardware. Right-click on the Windows desktop; choose Personalize from the pop-up menu; choose Display Settings from the Personalize dialog; on the Monitor tab, click Advanced Settings...; on the Adapter tab, click Properties; on the Driver tab, click Update Driver...; click on "Browse My Computer for Driver Software"; click on "Let me pick a list of device drivers on my computer"; in the "Select a device driver" list, scroll down to Standard VGA Graphics Adapter and highlight (select) it; click Next. If your monitor goes blank, wait five minutes, then power down your computer and restart it normally. If your monitor does not go blank, wait while the driver is installed; click Close; then continue to press Close or OK or otherwise close dialog boxes until you are back to the desktop. If you are prompted to restart your computer, do so. You probably should do so anyway. (If you want to reverse this procedure, follow the same instructions, but let Windows automatically install the appropriate software for your system instead of browsing your computer for driver software.)

For DOSbox, try running without sound if you haven't tried that, and try the latest CVS..

his drivers should be able to display full screen, but that is why I asked what version you have you never got back to me on that... since I have 64 bit and not 32 I can not try this, this is for XP but may help playing apoc with out dosbox

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?...;highlight=apoc

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?...ight=apocalypse

the second one is for getting apoc to work in dos box.. I will try this when I get home

Edited by Darkhomb

ForceWare Release 95

Version: 97.46

Release Date: January 5, 2007

WHQL Driver

geforce 6800 GS

Vista sucks so much donkey that I don't know what the heck am I going to do. I have to get win xp back. Vista won't let me change anything from dosbox.conf, it says I can't save any documents in the dosbox folder. Hilarious piece of crap.

Other thing! You can't change the settings in dxdiag anymore so I can't turn off directdraw and play the older ufos either :D I just can't understand how microsoft manages to do every single thing wrong.

edit:

HAHA ok I solved the first problem :D

I had to move the dosbox.conf file away from the dosbox folder, then change the settings in it and save, and then move it back to the dosbox folder. Well it helped a little bit, now the intro worked excellent, no chopping at all. But the game still froze in start up screen.

How are you supposed to go forward from the start screen? I'm just thinking that only the game freezes there, dosbox keeps running. So could it be that my USB mouse doesn't work in dosbox? Should it be in ps/2 port?

Edited by Puasonen

Ok I got it working... with dosbox...

edit kind of working, when every a box pops up it freezes... ill work on that part later.

this is what you need to do

download the latest dosbox. v 65

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/download.php?main=1

download the latest CVS

http://cvscompile.aep-emu.de/dosbox.htm

download the 2 required dll files

zlib1.dll and libpng13.dll A quick search on yahoo and they are downloadable for free.

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?zlib1

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?libpng13

change cycles to around 15000

change the following in the config

[dosbox]

memsize=63

[gus]

gus=false

nosound=false

rate=22050

blocksize=4096

prebuffer=12

Download Bug fix for SVGA error http://www.xcomufo.com/x3svga.zip

I also applied the xcomfix from http://www.xcomufo.com/xcom3fix.zip but it is not needed as you dont need to excute the patch

type xcomapoc and you can play

Edited by Darkhomb

Sorry to inform you but XCOM Apocolypse is considered Premium Content and as such will most likely not be enabled by Vista. Unless of course you dish out $1000s for a superb Video Card, and well... maybe not even then.

When playing premium content ... PVP-OPM will be required to turn off or constrict the quality of unprotected DVI. As a result, a regular DVI monitor will either get slightly fuzzy or go black, with a polite message explaining that it doesn’t meet security requirements.

And if you're using VGA like me

many content owners are requiring that its (VGA) resolution be constricted when certain types of premium content are being played. Eventually they may require that analog VGA outputs be turned off completely;

I'm kidding of course. Just the absurdity of what Visita is doing is bugging me.

In order to get Apoc to run under XP I had to put it through Virtual PC and install Windows 98 on it. Don't know if that might help you or not.

Yeah darkhomb! Works like a dream now! I can't thank you enough!

Now does someone have dos versions of ufo - enemy unknown and terror from the deep? It's impossible to get directdraw off in vista so I can't get CE versions to work. Maybe if I could get those dos versions from somewhere, I would get them to work in dosbox too.

[autoexec]

# Lines in this section will be run at startup.

mount d d:\pelit\apoc

d:

[cpu]

# core -- CPU Core used in emulation: simple,normal,full,dynamic.

# cycles -- Amount of instructions dosbox tries to emulate each millisecond.

# Setting this higher than your machine can handle is bad!

# You can also let DOSBox guess the correct value by setting it to auto.

# Please note that this guessing feature is still experimental.

# cycleup -- Amount of cycles to increase/decrease with keycombo.

# cycledown Setting it lower than 100 will be a percentage.

core=normal

cycles=15000

cycleup=500

cycledown=20

I'm having some doubts if the dosbox program really reads the config file at all. At startup it should mount the d as shown in upper quote right? It doesn't do that.

Also cycles are set to 15000 but when I start dosbox, it's 3000. What the heck?

Edited by Puasonen

Yeah darkhomb! Works like a dream now! I can't thank you enough!

Now does someone have dos versions of ufo - enemy unknown and terror from the deep? It's impossible to get directdraw off in vista so I can't get CE versions to work. Maybe if I could get those dos versions from somewhere, I would get them to work in dosbox too.

I updated the links in the 'how to get Xcom/TFTD to work using DOSbox' threads. (man it's hard to find the DOS version of Xcom1)

[autoexec]

# Lines in this section will be run at startup.

mount d d:\pelit\apoc

d:

[cpu]

# core -- CPU Core used in emulation: simple,normal,full,dynamic.

# cycles -- Amount of instructions dosbox tries to emulate each millisecond.

# Setting this higher than your machine can handle is bad!

# You can also let DOSBox guess the correct value by setting it to auto.

# Please note that this guessing feature is still experimental.

# cycleup -- Amount of cycles to increase/decrease with keycombo.

# cycledown Setting it lower than 100 will be a percentage.

core=normal

cycles=15000

cycleup=500

cycledown=20

I'm having some doubts if the dosbox program really reads the config file at all. At startup it should mount the d as shown in upper quote right? It doesn't do that.

Also cycles are set to 15000 but when I start dosbox, it's 3000. What the heck?

something is wrong with your config file then, did you rename it? do you have it in a diffrent directory? if you change the name you need to create a shortcut to utilize the new config file..

also you said it works great, do you have problems with the pop ups like the Are you sure you want to quit? yes/no? when any of those come up mine freezes.

something is wrong with your config file then, did you rename it? do you have it in a diffrent directory? if you change the name you need to create a shortcut to utilize the new config file..

also you said it works great, do you have problems with the pop ups like the Are you sure you want to quit? yes/no? when any of those come up mine freezes.

Forget what I said.. Windows had hidden my dosbox.conf behind a "compatibility files" button and I got it working now. I have all the same setups that you have. I don't know why it works on my computer but not on yours. I have dosbox 0.65 and the latest CVS and those dll files you put here. We even have the exact same version of the game. If you'll get an idea how I could help you, please ask. I'm all for it.

Edited by Puasonen

Forget what I said.. Windows had hidden my dosbox.conf behind a "compatibility files" button and I got it working now. I have all the same setups that you have. I don't know why it works on my computer but not on yours. I have dosbox 0.65 and the latest CVS and those dll files you put here. We even have the exact same version of the game. If you'll get an idea how I could help you, please ask. I'm all for it.

only diffrence is I have 64 bit version of vista but i dont think it should matter.. I'm going to look into my config and see if I did something wrong.. possible i might have forgotten to turn of compatibility for dosbox as well i will find out when i get home thanks

Ok, just came to my mind that I didn't install the http://www.xcomufo.com/xcom3fix.zip although you said I should. I only installed the svga fix. That's one thing different between our systems.

• 2 months later...
Guest karathys
Hi, i cant get it to work right :/ well i got it to load the intro movie then after that it changes resolution for a bit then goes back to the dosbox prompt. Any ideas whats wrong ?

Guest karathys

hehe :)

that shouldnt do anything when im running it in dosbox :/

would think when it can start intro with sound and everything that it would work heh

• 1 year later...
I recently downloaded Xcom apocalypse from the internet and much to my surorise it worked in DOS box without any kind of tweaking needed whatsoever. :) I'm running vista basic with a 64MB moblile intel graphics chipset. Not a help to anyone having bother but I just thought I'd mention it. Edited by Mad
mentioned download source

• 4 weeks later...

i just bought the game but cant get it to run on my vista computer, i'll try what was suggested here..

after incresing the size of dosbox c:, i could install the full game, but it wont run, it says my cdrom is to slow, wich it really shouldnt be..

When trying to run the game it stays at the SMKP with only a blank screen..

Got it to work with the -t cdrom command when emulating the cdrom, but i have no sound, any fix for that? nm, i have sound.

Edited by Tokk

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I managed to get my Vista 32 running with the XP instructions and the shortcut

"C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.72\dosbox.exe" "C:\XCOMA\APOC.BAT" -fullscreen -conf "C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.72\dosbox.conf" -exit

But now I cant open up my setup.exe to set my sound, and have VERY little knowledge about shortcuts or bats and these little tricks, so would someone mind giving me a shortcut to run my setup.exe? Im sure it would be useful to a few of us.