Photo

Gun Design Poll

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: Should guns look pretty or like they can kick some a**? (53 member(s) have cast votes)

Should guns look pretty or like they can kick some a**?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Kenshiro

Kenshiro

Captain

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 03:37 PM

A quick poll to determine how the models should look - aesthetically pleasing or pugnatious and mean-looking. To determine the fate of certain weapon models, perhaps...

#2 Aosar

Aosar

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 03:46 PM

Guns - to my eye - mostly look ugly... So they - particularly those that are reverse engineered - should look ugly.
-Aosar
-------------------------
Pardon the engrish,
I'm Finnish...
"No Worries!"

#3 Raven Squad

Raven Squad

Sound Department

• Xenocide Sound Department
  • 326 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 04:15 PM

Ugly definately ugly. Alien weapons should look like alien and imo aliens are ugly :) .
Yep, thats me who is posting here...

#4 Aosar

Aosar

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 04:38 PM

Ugly definately ugly. Alien weapons should look like alien and imo aliens are ugly

I strongly disagree on that, the alien weapons should look scaringly hyper-advanced, sleek and beautiful in a bizzarre way! If they look ugly then the illusion of facing a enemy so advanced it can sacrifice artistic talent even into weapon design!
-Aosar
-------------------------
Pardon the engrish,
I'm Finnish...
"No Worries!"

#5 Vaaish

Vaaish

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 04:42 PM

They should be functional first and aesthetic second.

Make the gun look like it could work and then if possible w/o taking from the functionality make it aesthetic.

There should probably be a mix of designs IRL some guns are just plain beautiful and others are simple and functional.

If I remember correctly the higher the civilization the more time there is to make an object aesthetic instead of just functional. Eg. simple post and lintel door frames versus carved arches.

Edited by Vaaish, 26 July 2003 - 04:44 PM.

#6 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• 5,059 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 05:05 PM

I agree the alien rifles should look sleek and aesthetic. The human weapons on the other hand can be more rag-tag, as long as they get the job done. After all, who needs good looks then? Provides another distinction between them.
"You can't trust your eyes if your imagination's out of focus" - Mark Twain
"The mind is like an umbrella, it functions best when open" - Walter Gropius
Posted Image
SNEKK BLOG U-LAR MEKHH! GAHGHH! RK!
GRRGH RGGHH SNORRTT GHACKHGG

Now presented in DoubleVision™ (where drunk)

#7 miceless

miceless

Colonel

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 10:57 PM

I think a bit of both should be true. For examply I think the heavy cannons and auto cannons can look chunky and mean. Alien weapon should look generally sleek, but no reason why some of them sholdnt be more or less sleek than others.

Where is the 'both of the above' option?
"If it moves - kill it. If it doesn't move - kill it anyway, it might move later."

#8 revenant4

revenant4

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 11:27 PM

Human weapons, ugly but kick butt...alien weapons, sleek and aesthetic

#9 mikker

mikker

Artwork Department

• 2,211 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 04:52 AM

yep: 50/50 (or 5/5 ^_^ )

Some people say that dreams are a portal to the subconscious. If that is so, I am a very disturbed person.

the truth about scientology

#10 Guest_Jim69_*

Guest_Jim69_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2003 - 05:19 AM

I agree with most of the above. Human guns should be made 4 functuallity before design, and alien weapons almost the opposite, looking very smooth almost like that dodgy organic art that some weirdo's get paid 2 make :P

#11 Breunor

Breunor

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 06:13 AM

Efficiency tends to make guns that have the bare minimum needed to function, and little more. The more material added for looks, the more weight involved. Smooth lines make sense for planes, but not for guns. Alien weapons I agree should be smooth, since they're growing alloys for it which are most effecient at surrounding a given volume using as close to a sphere as possible.

On the other hand, I think distinctive looks can be created based on the weapon tech being used, so while each series might be ugly compared to alien tech (which is intentional IMO), we'll be able to look at the battlescape, see a weapon on the ground, and know what it is/whether it's worth spending TUs to pick up.

#12 Deimos

Deimos

Colonel

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 11:52 AM

I thought we had the gun looks issue settled? Take a look in the style guide for details on weaponry.

#13 Ancalagon

Ancalagon

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 07:36 PM

They should look like this.
Posted Image

Edited by Ancalagon, 12 August 2003 - 07:43 PM.

#14 A_dxman

A_dxman

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 10:15 PM

This is the future!
Why would the guns not look streamlined?
The weapons in Interceptor were nice and streamlined but still liked like they could kick the Aliens buts back to their own dimension.
Oh, and more importantly, they did kick the old enemy in to a bloody pulp.
Green blood! YUCK!!!

:explode:

#15 miceless

miceless

Colonel

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 12:32 AM

Geez thats one big gun.

I think that alien guns should be sleek and strealined and human ones should be more chunky, but not too chunky.
"If it moves - kill it. If it doesn't move - kill it anyway, it might move later."