XCOMUFO & Xenocide

A Few Questions I Would Like To Ask

I've just gotten into week 2, and I have just shot down 2 type 3 UFOs, I have captured one of them, should I go for the other?

Also, how much money do I need to have before I would get a base that would cost 48k, and if I were to be in debt, how long can I stay in debt before I loose?

Besides, that advanced bio lab seems pretty tempting, and the first base ran out of room.

You only need to capture one type of UFO to be able to research it, after that, it's really up to you. If you feel you can pull off the assault with minimal casualties, go for it I say.

I'd recommend you try to free up some space in your main base to squeeze that main lab in - then decomission your old lab. It gets hairy having to transport research objects back and forth between the two bases if and when Transtellar go hostile - and they go hostile very easily.

Now if you want to keep that small lab, I suggest moving it to the new base. In fact, it will be a good idea to transplant your workshop over to the next base as well. If you're willing to make even more space, move your repair facility as well, as you only need to park a ship at a base with one to have it repaired.

I'd recommend you at least have two, three or several more times the value of any base that you wish to purchase. The purchase cost is one thing, but the manufacturing costs for the base modules is another. I'd recommend going for a small, cheap and easily defendable base layout rather than a mass of space.

I don't recall how long you can be in debt before you are shut down so I couldn't comment. But my advice : don't. Raid an enemy organisation and sell off the raided goods to at least balance your bank account.

- NKF

I'd also recommend going for the UFO if you've got the people available. In fact, I'd recommend going for every single one you manage to shoot down, if you can. The main reasons being:

1) these are usually pretty high scoring missions if you can pull them off. More points means more money

2) assuming you don't like to go in and shoot rockets and throw grenades everywhere, you can come out of the mission with a rather large amount of extra equipment, both for your agents and your vehicles. You'll be very glad to have the vehicle equipment later on.

I agree with NKF on the base stuff. Once you start plopping advanced labs down and such, the actual facilities will probably end up costing more than the base itself did. Also, if you do move your vehicle bay, be careful where you put it, since that is one of the two places enemy troops can enter your base for a raid.

As for the debt thing, I can't speak from experience, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that if you're still in debt more than $5,000 after the next time the goverment gives you your funding, you lose the game. So you'll probably want to do a couple of raids to dig yourself out, just to be safe.

Just saw your new post. The UFO will disappear after a few hours if you leave it alone (I guess that means the aliens inside blew it up or something in order to keep you from getting it).

Edited by JPH