XCOMUFO & Xenocide

How Could I Get Money?

Petykemano

Hi!

How do I get money? I'm in 4. week, and I have only 1 hawk and some tanks. But with these I can't shot down ufos before they inflitrate buildings and return to their dimension.

I could do some raids and steal supplies from other organisations, but then my Tactical score goes up, and tougher aliens come.

So how could I get much money to buy hawks and shot down ufos?

thanks

Pety

You could try to station your vehicles in buildings nearby a dimension gate, allowing them to strike immediately.

Also use lineage plasma cannons for your craft and consider using swarm tactics: buy lots of hoverbikes/cars, they can dodge enemy fire and in packs they can do quite some damage, and should you lose a few, they're quite cheap to replace.

Other ways of making money is mass-manufacturing items and selling them.

If the raids give you too much score, you could try downing your score again by destroying parts of the city (a nearby Cult of Sirius temple, for example)

Then there's that *ahem* stun raid. It's technically a cheat, but it won't increase your score as rapidly as a hostile raid. Find a local gang that you're on good terms with but are planning to get into hostile relations at a later date (Say, Psyke, or those rich buggers, Osiron). Run in, clobber a few gangsters with stun grapples and steal their psiclones.

I recommend the gangsters because if any damage is done to the building during the raid (it doesn't matter whose fault it is), having them get mad at you will be the least of your worries. Better them than, say, Transtellar or Megapol!

If you feel really bad about this, you can do a swap and dump rubbish you don't want (like all those smoke grenades the aliens dontate) in a tactical mission and then retreating from the mission.

---

As for air combat, if you're having trouble, don't fret about catching every single UFO that enters the city and take a slower approach.

Do make sure that you try to capture at least one of each type of UFO starting with the elusive Type 3. Well, there are a few UFOs you don't need, but catch them anyway to complete the set, and perhaps a few more of them when they get their shields. This will allow you to progress your research down the path of the Annihilator.

After you've built a few of the better Hybrid aircraft, (Say a mob of 4 or more of any of the ships) and kitted them with shields and medium distrupters, you're set to to wipe out the UFOs in the alien dimension for good. This is the approach where your air combat starts off relatively slow, but once it picks up, you strike back, terminally.

As mentioned before, you can park your ships in positions where they can quickly intercept UFOs when they leave the gates. I generally split my ships into small teams of 2 to 4 Hoverbikes that get parked along the fringe sectors of the city. Hovercars and heavier gunships are spread out so that they are close at hand, but they tend to be closer to the central areas of the city. So when a UFO pops in, the teams nearest the gate scramble to attack the UFOs as quickly as they can before the UFOs are all linked up. Otherwise they back off and I just have the troop transports deal with the terror sites after the dropships have left.

It's always better to have your ships back off rather than getting them blown up completely if there's no hope of shooting down any of the UFOs.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

• 3 months later...

Hitting all the cultists twice a week works fine for me and they never seem to hit you back unless they've been infiltrated by aliens. Getting better gear from aliens means more valuable stuff to sell, so I've never understood the low tactical score approach. Once you have Toxiguns and Personal Disruptor Shields, the balance is completely in your favor. The aliens' shields do nothing for them while you are protected from all of their attacks. In most of my games, I've got Toxigun B at about the same time I get my first personal disruptor shields.

My first week approach is to sell all missiles, all ground vehicles and equipment, build two more Q. Physics labs, and one more Bio lab with appropriate living quarters. Then I see how many additional hovercars I can buy with the money. I upgrade all engines to the best possible and give everybody lasers. I like to keep the Valkyrie because it is much faster than the cars and gets a nice range increase from being able to carry the larger lasers. It's also handy to have when the larger UFOs show up and you need something that can have both a bio trans unit and a cargo hold in case you can't afford an Air Warrior right off the bat.

• 1 month later...
Hitting all the cultists twice a week works fine for me and they never seem to hit you back unless they've been infiltrated by aliens. Getting better gear from aliens means more valuable stuff to sell, so I've never understood the low tactical score approach. Once you have Toxiguns and Personal Disruptor Shields, the balance is completely in your favor. The aliens' shields do nothing for them while you are protected from all of their attacks. In most of my games, I've got Toxigun B at about the same time I get my first personal disruptor shields.

My first week approach is to sell all missiles, all ground vehicles and equipment, build two more Q. Physics labs, and one more Bio lab with appropriate living quarters. Then I see how many additional hovercars I can buy with the money. I upgrade all engines to the best possible and give everybody lasers. I like to keep the Valkyrie because it is much faster than the cars and gets a nice range increase from being able to carry the larger lasers. It's also handy to have when the larger UFOs show up and you need something that can have both a bio trans unit and a cargo hold in case you can't afford an Air Warrior right off the bat.

I raided them a bit to often. Got in the third week aliens with Devestater and Shields. I had Disrupter Cannons and was researching the Toxiguns. But I needed the raids, without Transstellar would have become an enemy and because the money went to Transstellar, I had no Hawk.

But it was not a really problem. Mindcontrol rules :)

Best wishes

Redbull

Edited by Redbull

• 1 month later...

About the engines:

I'm planning to play my next game in cautious non-raid style, so I wanted to know if engine upgrade is realy worth the money.

Yesterday I made a massive speed/acceleration/turn speed test of all vehicles with different engines.

I've found that there is a difference between engines in all aspects: linear speed, acceleration and turn rate. But it's not very impressive. When you equip a Hawk with engine for Hoverbike, it's becoming really slow. But it's not the case when you change an engine only one level above. Difference, for instance, between SD Elite (standart for Hawk) and SD Special is hardly noticeable.

So my verdict is:

If you have the money, go for it - get from your vehicles 100% they can. If you're low on money - engine upgrade is not worth it.