XCOMUFO & Xenocide

SND - RESOURCES - Sounds And License Stuff (legal)

syncope

hi,

i got dozens of sample cd´s some of them bought some of them... well you know what i mean :D

i got almost every single sound we´d need (tons of shots and ambience sounds) but the question is: is it possible to use them in a freely available computergame... many of the producers want credits and extra licensing for multimedia products and games.

is it too "hot" to use them? i use them in my music and dont give a damn but this is something diffrent...

greetings

max

check the CD cases, they'll have the legal info on there. if there is none we're sorted :). i suspect we'd be fine anyway. (i've also been thinking of ways to get around a licence anyway, i think i would have to modify any sounds we use to fit in with the general enviomental ambience, which might be enough that it doesnt matter.)

this is great news anyway, havent had much luck in finding good sounds on "the internet", and i owe my local libary about £50 in fines...

could you post a list of what you have that would be useful?

then i can start doing the interesting stuff, like alien noises hehe....

edit after checking syncopes posts: hey another sound guy, great to have you aboard... Edited by hippyjon

Any sound effect included in Xenocide has to be either royalty-free, have the permission of the authors, or purchased by and used exclusively for the project.

I don't have any idea about the legal details of altered sounds, though I would think it would be illegal because you didn't create the sound yourself. Just like we can't take the Star Wars theme, change a few notes, and call it our new theme song. But sound effects might be different...

With images and works of art one can take a jpg, alter is slightly and call it theirs. There is very little recourse, as far as I know. My girlfriend is in digital ink, paint and special effects by trade and this is her understanding of it.

The safest is to assume that copyright laws protect the modification of those assets. So unless they say: Royalty free or Free for non commercial use, dont use them cause we are going to store the source samples too in the server...

Greetings
Red Knight

i own a license of a library which is perfectly suited for this project its called action cutz... i didnt find the inlay but i´ll send an email to the producers concerning this game.

their website says

"With this library you bought an essential for sounddesign, multimedia, game- and post production"

link with sounddemos: [url="http://www.totalcontrol.de/content_actioncutz.htm"]http://www.totalcontrol.de/content_actioncutz.htm[/url]

the question is now: is it enough if i own the cd? as micah wrote maybe the project should buy the cd (its not that expensive bout 73 euros for the audio cd version)... if we all spend 5 euros we could afford it easyly....

the other thing is: i dont think that they gonna like it if their samples will be freely available on the internet... so it wouldnt be a good idea to store the on the server as red knight wrote (i know this is open source but maybe we could do something like a "protected" sfx package for the game)

it would be great to use those samples because they really rock, they are something like a "secret weapon" for my stuff since i bought the cd!

greetings
max

i also got ambient sounds on cd (city athmos etc....) i think we can use them without troubles because nobody would recognize them (the cds are from the early 90ties)

another possibilty is of crse to record some stuff on our own but im no foley artist and i also dont have any machine guns at home :P

greetings
max

[quote name='syncope' date='Jan 15 2004, 12:57 PM']another possibilty is of crse to record some stuff on our own but im no foley artist and i also dont have any machine guns at home :P[/quote]
I though every home would have a little green alien you tortue to make sounds, now days.