XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Terror Sites

Deimos

I think that as long as *you* are not killing the kids, then its fine. I mean, it adds to the realism of the game, and also (if you've played Deus Ex 2), it adds a moral aspect where you don't want to let the kids get caught in the cross fire

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you make it a generic theme park I'm sure it'd be fine. As for the children, it's a realism aspect. There's nothing wrong with putting children in other games (Rainbow Six and several other), as long as you aren't promoting school rampages or the like. I agree with everyone else that having them adds a bit of difficulty, especially if they're freaked out and running randomly across the battlefield.

Nothing a few prox grenades can't fix! :devillaugh:

Bobby, you see that shiny red box that says TNT on it? You stay away from-stop! Get Back here right this- :explode: That'll teach you not to listen! Now you're grounded mister! :D

I agree that we should have children in the game. I mean, fallout, R6, etc. Did it, why can't we? Besides, its not like the players will be intentionally slaughtering children, right? Maby we could make it so that soldiers can't intentionally target children?

Some interesting ideas... a few things though. If you are going to have specific terror sites like you suggest then the game will get boring. The player will know where the aliens are, where the spaceship is, and where the civilians are. This will make it less exciting, as it will be the same been there done that feeling that is in many games, but fortunately lacking in the original X-com because of the random terror missions and everything. I like the idea of some premade, plot advancing levels though, like your idea, but that would need to be the exception, not the rule. I like your idea of the aliens kidnapping civilians instead of killing them, and of the aliens having their ship at the site, I hope a senior member sees this thread. Good ideas! Sorry it took so long for someone to respond, this thread just got lost in the stream of threads =)

The specific terror site maps would only be used randomly, so as not to get the same map each time you play the game, plus have some different terror missions to choose from so that the battle changes each time. But the bulk of terror missions be played out on the typical terror map, built randomly from a kit of buildings and environments. And we can use the specific terror sites for the "special" terror missions, like govt kidnapping, govt meetings with the aliens, and so forth.

But you will still have maps repeated, leading to the maps being plotted out in strategy guides, just like the final Cydonia mission. They should be used occasionally ,but not often at all. And we couuld use the random map generator for the government abductions and meeting levels, we just make it a requirement for there to be a big building with civilians in suits inside.

But if we had lets say 5 different types of "special" terror missions for the specific terror site maps, lets say only 10 specific maps, then we could have 50 different strategies, which would be chosen randomly during each game - which means you might not play all 10 maps during one game, or play all the same "special" missions in one game, but you would get a few of them, based on how far you have progressed or how many aliens you've killed/UFO's shot down or something along those lines. Which yes, could be FAQ'd, but there is always someone who is willing to waste his/her time to do something like that.

, but fortunately lacking in the original X-com because of the random terror missions and everything.

The original X-COM didn't have random terror missions, coolp. Every place you find a terror mission, there is always a terror ship that wandered around for a few hours and then landed there. It just seems to be random, because you never saw the UFO coming.

On a similar note, have you noticed that the terror missions stop happening after you shoot down all the terror ships?

, but fortunately lacking in the original X-com because of the random terror missions and everything.

The original X-COM didn't have random terror missions, coolp. Every place you find a terror mission, there is always a terror ship that wandered around for a few hours and then landed there. It just seems to be random, because you never saw the UFO coming.

On a similar note, have you noticed that the terror missions stop happening after you shoot down all the terror ships?

Actually I think by "random" he means the battlescape maps were randomly generated from certain objects. Not that they were randomly created around the world.

Most of these ideas are under discussion elsewhere, and were well received. Thinkgs lioke random maps, loacl variations in models and textures, limiting the number of floors in taller buildingds.

I like the specific terror mission idea. even though it is v1+ it could be a smaller plus rather than a bigger plus, if you see what I mean.

What Nyyperoid said =)

There should be different tile sets and stuff, and maybe the space needle for Seattle and other landmarks for some cities that are included in the tile set package, but the terror mission should still be randomly generated...

The other consideration is HDD space needed for all the variations. One of the major themes is to have a variety of templates for where items are laid out, but we should be able to reuse individual buildings, and hopefully be able to swap textures for each model. I don't know if that's an option, or if we have to save each complete scene with every model and texture seperately. But the hope is to create something that looks realistic and not randomly thrown together. If we can reuse models and textures, then we can creates tons of templates and have hundreds of sites. Custom city sites can also be made, probably a v1+ thing that members can contribute, and can be downloaded as expansion packs. IMO putting the detail needed to recognise a capital city into 1 site isn't worth v1 effort when you might not see it for several games. If and when we have enough assets to make a series of good terror sites, we can look at specific items for capitals, but it also requires a good deal of programming too, so like others have said, v1+.

To have 5 floor buildings like in Apocalypse is a great idea. Train stations would also make ideal terror targets IMO. The train station in Helsinki would be perfect if you're ever going to do specific terror sites. Airports and harbors would be great too. They are largely populated and are major parts of earth's communications that I could easily see the aliens wanting to wipe out.

I definately think the alien ship should be present on the terror site and the equipments in it taken at the end of the mission. I don't think they should take off because if they do they would have to appear on the map and be able to be intercepted. This would lead to another mission at the shot down alien craft straight after the terror mission. How would you calculate which aliens died at the terror site and which one escaped and should be present on the crash site? I think it will make things too complicated.

One thing that bothers me in the original game is that the terror ships when shot down never have any Chrysalis' in them. The aliens present on the terror site and inside the terror ship while still on the way there should be the exact same.

can you get some pictures of the train station for us? We can consider that for a terror site as well. A crowded train station sounds good.

I'm sure I could go there with a digi-camera later during the spring, or even earlier in case you want snow on the pictures as well ;)

Here are some I found on the web so you can get some picture of it:

http://www.vr.fi/heo/lahi/kuvat/kivimiehet_1p.jpg

http://www.vr.fi/heo/lahi/kuvat/hesa_katoksenalta.jpg

http://www.vr.fi/heo/lahi/kuvat/etusivu_valot.jpg

http://www.cartinafinland.fi/helsinki/images/rautatiemiehet2.jpg

http://images3.fotki.com/v26/photos/6/69985/278172/IMG_0352-vi.jpg

http://images3.fotki.com/v26/photos/6/69985/278172/IMG_0353-vi.jpg

http://www.aviewoncities.com/img/helsinki/kvefi006s.jpg

http://www.vr.fi/heo/helsinki/kuvat/hesa_3_oik.jpg

Nice. I think we should have an airport (although you may not want to get caught taking pictures of it :D) because, it would make sense. Heck, we could even have those metal detectors beep when your soldiers or aliens go through them! :)

I'm sure I could go there with a digi-camera later during the spring, or even earlier in case you want snow on the pictures as well ;)

Here are some I found on the web so you can get some picture of it:

I've been there many times. That's the "main" trainstation from Finlands capitol Helsinki if you didn't know. Well anyways I think we need more pictures from interior..

Nice. I think we should have an airport (although you may not want to get caught taking pictures of it :D) because, it would make sense. Heck, we could even have those metal detectors beep when your soldiers or aliens go through them! :)

does alien alloy count as a metal? It wouldnt make sense if a normal metal detector could find a ufo... :D

With the exception of the plasma pistol, you wouldn't be sneaking anything through a detector anyway... more like the Matrix when they walk in to rescue Morpheus. It will be apparent... especially when your Reapers and Cyberdisks approach the checkpoint...

uh, you then realise it's a copyrighted logo that's turned upside down... I think it needs to vary a little more from the original.

uh, you then realise it's a copyrighted logo that's turned upside down... I think it needs to vary a little more from the original.

Dang! So much for that easy way to create logo's ^_^

I'll try and squeeze that extra 'i' in, see what it gives.