XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Balancing The Game

jwj442

The original X-COM was great, but IMO its biggest flaw was the imbalance. Lasers, conventional weapons, and for that matter most things besides the heavy plasma and blaster launcher (both of which were really really overpowered) were too weak. Will you guys try to make the weapons a bit more balanced in Xenocide? Edited by jwj442

To start with version 1, it's unlikely that there will be many changes to the weapons used. There is certainly general agreement that some weapons were abused and need to be reconsidered. It also requires playtesting when those changes happen, so that 1 problem isn't replaced by another. So the general plan is that everything stay the same regarding weapon stats for v1, and then it should be easy enough the make a change here or there in the damage values, etc. In fact, the overall design will allow mods to be made for the game in the future, and I expect the data files that will hold all the weapon stats could be modified by anyone. (that's my assumption, not necessarily reality! :D )

• 1 year later...
Actually I use Laser Rifles and pistols right to Cydonia. No ammo means easy logistics (I have a huge logistical base because I try to have 100 to 150 soldiers per base, just like a real army. It makes base defense fun. With 50-odd meatshield rookies available, who cares who dies.) They're great for rookies and psi-weak troops because as long as everyone else is wearing powered armour or flying suits they don't cause too much damage. Once I had a colonel or captain in a flying suit take 9 shots to the chest from a laser rifle and he had no injuries (though his armor was damaged.)