XCOMUFO & Xenocide

A Couple Questions

I've just recently installed X-com Apocalypse from the old CD, and as you can probably guess, I get the evil black screen. I'd like to get this baby working again, but I'm not as skilled with computers as I once was. I know one step is changing the file/buffer numbers in the config.sys file, but since i'm on a shared computer that isn't mine, I was wondering if I could get a brief explanation of what that does?

Also, after scanning the forums, I'm not really sure which issues apply to me anymore. What else, such as VDMSound, do I need to get started on an XP?

Or would you suggest I just get dosbox?

Thanks a lot, the instructions have definitely helped considerably. The game is clearly working, I can hear the music, the mouse clicks and everything, but the problem is I still can't see anything. I went so far as to download the SVGA and bug patches as well, but neither seemed to have helped, although the second one was hard enough to understand in the first place...

Also, at this point I must have about 4 different files that can actually start Xcom3. Which one should I be using?

What 'bug fixes' are you talking about?

You should normally start the game with the batch file you created while following the instructions. Ofcourse, if it still doesn't work, you'll probably have to try DOSbox, although you'll need a pretty powerful machine for that :(

Also make sure you applied the SVGA patch correctly.

The bug fix I'm referring to is the one in http://www.xcomufo.com/x3dl.html called xcom3fix.zip. Since the desctription mentioned it fixes bugs on the CD version, it seemed like a good idea. I'm fairly certain I applied the SVGA patch correctly. The tac file went in the tacexe folder, and the ufo file went in the ufoexe folder, then I ran them. And one last minor detail: does it matter if I run the .bat or the shortcut to the .bat?