6 replies to this topic

#1 ninjastar

ninjastar

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 01:07 PM

hi all,am playing xcom1 on laptop with windows me,everythings fine until my base was invaded,after a couple of turns the screen jumps back to windows desktop,please help.i have only just started playing on a laptop,i played xcom 1 and 2 on ps2,so my knowledge of pc's and windows is limited.i am using the xcom collection cd.thanks

#2 Coincident

Coincident

Rookie

• Forum Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 12:47 PM

I'm running X-Com 1 CE on a intel Pentium 4 @ 2.66ghz, 1024MB DDR RAM and a GeForce 2 Ultra nvidia gfx card, with Windows XP Pro. ed.

I also get this bug a lot of times when my X-COM bases get attacked, after like 6 or 7 turns, during the alien's turn the game just crashes and jumps back to my Desktop for no reason.
It's the only bug I haven't been able to solve after searching for days in x-com-related sites, bug faqs and forums (including this one).

The only patch that actually solves this problem is the one max developed, in this thread.
Unfortunatly his patch is full of other bugs, like the screen image being resized incorrectly, the mouse disapearing beyond the bottom and right edges of the screen, and proximity grenades working like smoke grenades, etc...

Is there any other way to get rid of the base invasion crash bug?

Thanks in advance for the info.

#3 smiltserkskis

smiltserkskis

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:18 PM

Same problem here. My base just got attacked first time, by floaters and their nasty pets, and some five or six turns through (and most baddies annihilated), one crazy floater floats into a room (maybe that's important) and starts shooting at a wall in a fit of frenzy. Then game crashes to desktop. I saved the game just before this turn, and he does the thing every time I load it. And oh yes, I play X-COM Gold Edition, on a Pentium 4 with Windows XP.
Any advice will be appreciated!

#4 Blehm 98

Blehm 98

Colonel

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:20 PM

you could try sacrificing someone so that he won't shoot it (like stand in his path)
Top Secret Xenocide Status report

BF2 Hackers =5SF= have busted
]sD[ Engageo <-- couldn't get him banned though, no screenshot of him ingame
]sD[Nomisser
an AK guy
The anti-logarithm of the logarithm of X plus the logarithm of Y equals X times Y, or 10^(logX + logY) = XY
Posted Image
I hate spider solitaire...

#5 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 03:13 AM

I've had this happen to me a lot of times in the CE version, and I sometimes notice that when I copy the savegame from a CE copy over to the dos version, the dos version is much more forgiving and doesn't crash at these points. Of course, it'll crash at some points that it don't crash in the CE - but fair enough.

However, in my case, it involved sealed off rooms, and I imagine it was some due to some sort of path-finding error resulting in a memory leak. The Collectors Edition just panicks and does the safest thing it can perform - by exiting the program completely. The Dos version on the other hand may go on if a memory leak occurs and it's not able to detect it.

The main thing to do is to make sure you have a separate Geoscape save. It helps a lot when you cannot recover (without editing) from a mission.

- NKF

Edited by NKF, 28 July 2006 - 03:16 AM.

Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

#6 smiltserkskis

smiltserkskis

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 05:05 AM

=b Thanks for your speedy replies Blehm and NKF. I did resolve the problem yesterday night, much along the lines of what Blehm said (but before reading them actually) :)
One thing I did not mention in my post, there was an XCOM operative in that same room with the floater, albeit armed with just a heavy cannon and rounds and rounds of incendiary rounds. At the start of the turn there was the floater with his back on the cannon guy, and after several load-and-crash attempts, the cannon guy (a girl actually) managed to hit him thrice, the floater panicked and - hurray! - left the room. No more crashes after that :)
If not that girl though, I'd be toasted.
On a sidenote, the girl who made it, her name is Gudrun, a second Gudrun among my troops. Don't know whether it's supposed to be this way (it's a rather rare name in XCOM, I gather), but both Gudruns came with exceptionally high stats. Wish I had more Gudruns. Well OK, maybe I simply like the name :)

#7 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2006 - 01:47 PM

I am encountering this problem right now. I may know whats triggering it. If there are missiles in your base the aleins attack them and try to destroy them. When they explode, the game crashes. Anyone else seen this?

Reply to this topic