XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Articles Worth Reading

red knight

Hi looking for something i came across this articles named:

Anatomy of a Game Engine

http://www.extremetech.com/print_article/0...,a=29517,00.asp

It is pretty good, i say A MUST read for programmers and a NEAR MUST for non programmers... its pretty large but its a rewarding experience...

I expect comments on it... :P

Greetings

Red Knight

Thats some nicely packed info you have found Knight.

So far I am up to part4, but the information is top quality and very detailed so even non-game programmers can ponder what is going on.

Altho it is more likely for 3D FPS games it is still worth reading, i wonder if they have some "tutorials" on the RPG or isomatric games in similar detailed format. If 'none knows- leme know.

Adios :alienmad: :alienmad: :alienmad:

Thats some nicely packed info you have found Knight.

So far I am up to part4, but the information is top quality and very detailed so even non-game programmers can ponder what is going on.

Altho it is more likely for 3D FPS games it is still worth reading, i wonder if they have some "tutorials" on the RPG or isomatric games in similar detailed format. If 'none knows- leme know.

Adios :alienmad:  :alienmad:  :alienmad:

Today theres not too much difference (at least in unoptimized approaches)... RPG is a very different style but it has almost the same graphics requirements, maybe you will not use BSP Trees (Binary Space Partition) for geometry, maybe you will is up to the task... for example if all geometry is static BSP is the best approach, with PVS (Potential Visible Set) optimized for your camera style (like in isometric). If you have deformable and other kinds of terrain then BSP is not for you... today graphics technics are not Style dependent... The difference is in the games logic, but most of the stuff in that articles, tells you about a graphics engine. Not the logic engine behind the game...

Most RPG companies are migrating to 3D Worlds, except in the case of Bioware's Icewind Dale 2 where they use the same 2D Engine from Baldur's Gate; but they said that its engine is aging. So the graphics style borders are getting blury in this days...

Greetings

Red Knight

BTW there is an interesting article about Line of Sight posted in the EDF forum by Jim. To all who is thiking about battlescape implementations please read on

http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~amitp...ineOfSight.html

Couldnt find the thread, but in a post out there we had discussed something that look like the O(n^3) algorithm hybrid with a raycasting approach... We should take a look to it, and see if we have to change anything....

Greetings

Red Knight

This link doesn't work and makes me sad :(

A search of their website for the article title also didn't turn anything up :crying:

This link doesn't work and makes me sad :(

A search of their website for the article title also didn't turn anything up :crying:

They are migrating servers until sunday maybe that why... Look:

"Editor's Note: From Thursday through Sunday we're migrating servers, and won't be able to publish new articles. In addition, forums, downloads and member services will be down. To tide you over, we've gathered tons of tips in one place in our Holiday Help Hub and all of our 2003 predictions in the Navel Gazing section. Enjoy the holiday, and we'll see you Sunday! "

You should take a look on monday...

Greetings

Red Knight