XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Blaster Launcher

nonam

Alien Bases and Battleships are the only two places you can find Blaster Launchers/Blaster Bombs. But, aliens only get loaded with it later in the game so that means if you visit a base early, the aliens who normally carry a BL/BB are actually toting plasma-based weapons instead. ;)

- Zombie

One more place; the aliens will bring BBs with them when they attack one of your bases.

This is one disadvantage to using rocket tanks in base defense. You blow up a lot of the loot!

Last night, in fact, I succesfully defended a base but my loot only contained two bombs - no launchers. :)

Edited by Scrogdog

• 6 months later...

Supply Ships never have aliens carrying Blaster Launchers, it's just not possible. A base on the other hand, yes. :)

- Zombie

Assuming you don't have Psi, the easiest place to get a BB is a Floater or Muton base. You can keep a low profile while clearing, and your troops don't all spawn in the same place. Of course Snakemen have Chrysalids, and Sectoid and Ethereal bases are nasty if you don't have Blasters OR Psi, so I'd say those are at least as dangerous as most battleships. Go for a Floater base if you can get one. I had one pop up early in my latest game; I built a boatload of rookies with nothing but personal armor, laser rifles, and grenades just to clear that base and come back with some BBs; they got the job done with only a few casualties.

If you have Psi, the quickest and easiest way to get a BB is from a Battleship. Most of the aliens will just come pouring out, which means if you DON'T have psi you're likely to get blasted fairly early.

I'd probably go for a double whammy with the floater/muton base. Go in, grab the first blaster launcher and blaster bomb (make sure it's not in the blaster) and leg it back to the entrance and dust off with the blaster sample. A blaster sample to research and a continued stream of supply ships for the taking.

The same thing can be done in any mission where a blaster launcher is present - except in a base attack for fairly obvious reasons. ;)

It's also a great capturing special aliens like navigators (or Deep Ones in TFTD) without having to deal with the rest of the aliens on the mission.

Once you get Psi, a lighter variant of Zombie's smash and grab strategy can be used to plunder blaster bombs from within the base.

- NKF