19 replies to this topic

#1 Cmdr. Luke

Cmdr. Luke

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 08:49 AM

Surprisingly I didn't find this topic on the website, so I'll be the first one to ask it. On that fateful trip to Mars to save the human race... man I love going to Mars... :wub: how do you equip your sodiers?

Personally everyone gets a flying suit (that's a must), and I give everyone a blaster launcher, 1 blaster bomb, and a laser rifle each (the limit of items you can bring on a ship can be annoying at times, for instance when you go to Mars, but it makes the game more realistic). So what is your strategy? :huh?:

#2 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 09:31 AM

Back when I did it I took two hovertanks (one blaster, one plasma), then as much men as the avenger could carry, all in flying suits. Two men with blaster launchers, two with PSI-amps, and the rest a mix between heavy plasma and laser rifles. And I think everyone an alien grenade (except the blasters and psi-dudes)
"You can't trust your eyes if your imagination's out of focus" - Mark Twain
"The mind is like an umbrella, it functions best when open" - Walter Gropius
Posted Image
SNEKK BLOG U-LAR MEKHH! GAHGHH! RK!
GRRGH RGGHH SNORRTT GHACKHGG

Now presented in DoubleVision™ (where drunk)

#3 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 01:00 PM

Well, lets see, I pack 2 tanks, 1 laser, one plasma hover tank. then I fill er up with men with flight armor. I carry 2 psi-amps, 10 medkits, 2 blaster launchers with 4 bombs each, and enough heavy plasmas and clips for everyone.

Once though, I brought only blaster launchers (w/ammo before you ask :D) and laser pistols. It was rather fun actually.
I'm only partially inactive. :P I can still be reached at cpl.facehugger@gmail.com, and via PM. Preferably the former.

*Coming back? Avast! Facehugger, finish your assignments!*

Posted Image

#4 Cmdr. Luke

Cmdr. Luke

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 01:23 PM

Very interesting... I didn't bring Psi-Amps after my first try because I could never control the Ethereal Commanders. Man I always wanted to do that...

#5 Jenny

Jenny

Artwork Department

• 429 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 04:32 PM

My mars assault team is quite simple. I just full up my avenger craft with as many soldiers as possible, I give them the best armor I can muster (flying/power suits) plus I give them all heavy plasmas and alien grenades. I tried giving some of them blaster launchers but that didn't really work out too well for me, so I stick to heavy plasmas.

Edited by Jenny, 13 November 2003 - 10:18 AM.

Posted Image

#6 Mark0

Mark0

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 08:13 PM

i send my l33t soldat, strong with psi, equipped with best armor available with hvy plasmas.
1 hover tank plasma and a launcher
with the launcher i shoot 1 alien by hoping i can hit other aliens near him.
:beer:

#7 Deathskull

Deathskull

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 09:55 PM

I would bring an oxygen tank
USA Today has come out with a new survey: Apparently three out of four people make up 75 percent of the population.
- David Letterman

#8 Jenny

Jenny

Artwork Department

• 429 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 03:39 AM

Yeah ok, I suppose that's a good idea. But I guess the game auto-arranges that for you ;)
Posted Image

#9 j'ordos

j'ordos

Alien Concept Task Force

• 5,059 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 03:06 PM

Well, it looks like the aliens actually created a breathable atmosphere on Mars, as you can send your soldiers out on the last mission in a t-shirt :huh: , and they don't pack an oxygen tank with them, at least not one I could see... :wacko:
Maybe they are so excited about finally getting to blow up the alien main base they don't realise they need air? (like cartoon figures running off a cliff, but they don't fall down until they actually look down and see they're not on solid ground anymore ^_^ )
"You can't trust your eyes if your imagination's out of focus" - Mark Twain
"The mind is like an umbrella, it functions best when open" - Walter Gropius
Posted Image
SNEKK BLOG U-LAR MEKHH! GAHGHH! RK!
GRRGH RGGHH SNORRTT GHACKHGG

Now presented in DoubleVision™ (where drunk)

#10 Jenny

Jenny

Artwork Department

• 429 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 05:34 PM

You might have watched too many cartoons! But then again, it IS a game :D
Posted Image

#11 Tedster

Tedster

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 05:27 PM

Lots and lots of Psi-amps. :P

Won my first game by controlling an ethereal commander, making him auto-shoot at a nearby alien... one shot went astray and hit the brain... I saw the win screen and was like 'WTF?' :P I've been packing those along everytime I go now. :P

#12 Trevelyan

Trevelyan

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 07:22 PM

Big guns, Best soldiers, Avenger.... Nuke... yep got em all!
Posted Image

My conscience is clear, therefore I am guilty of having a bad memory.

#13 Silk_Dragon

Silk_Dragon

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 07:46 PM

My last game that i just had that turned out to be a success....went pretty good btw....

I packed.... 9 units 2 tanks...

-Units-
1Commander-Psi amp and a HP in his backpack
2Psi- Psi amp and a HP in his back pack
3Sniper-Laser rifle,medkit,alien nade
4Sniper-Laser rifle,Medkit,alien nade,Psi amp
5Psi/Sniper-Laser rifle,medkit,and a psi amp
6Psi/Assualt-Laser rifle,medkit,alien nade,psi amp
7Assualt-Laser rifle,Medkit,2 alien nades
8Heavy Assualt-HP and 2 clips,medkit,motion scanner and a alien nade
9Medic-2 medkits and a laser rifle

both tanks where hover plasma

Landing on the surface of mars....
Turn 1-moved both tanks out each way, move em along, spot 2 sectoid leaders, MC em and search around, kill them
Turn 2-Move my tanks further, spot a cyber disk, mc and send it exploring, didnt get reaction fired from the other 3 parts, made it kill itself
Turn 3-Lost a tank to 2 sectoid commanders, managed to mc one and kill the other one with and then disarm the one that i had
Turn 4-Move my remaining tank to explore for the base lift, found it, but its crawling with sectoids....i do what i can with mc to dis arm them all, end up loosing a few in reaction fire
Turn 5-Done the same step as above....almost lost my tank to another sectoid commander....thats 3 down....
Turn 6-Watch a sectoid blow a nice hole in the side of the base lift for my tank to get in while it reaction fired to one of my mced sectoids....i let them fight eachother....
Turn 7-Cant wait any longer....i move my tank in...and most of my guys out of the avenger....i move one guy to the right for a scout....spot a sectoid...turned out to be just a soilder.....turn him around.,....spot another one....mced it....commander....killed the soilder and dis armed the commander and hid him
Turn8-10-Moving my guys close to the base lift....one got shot....no damage...low moral....
Turn 11-I move my guys in....end game....base time....

Base Assualt....
none of my guys died yet...just 1 tank....

Turn1-Im spread pretty thin across the map....i move 2 guys down each lift to secure part of the area....
Turn2-Sniper spots a 'lid shoots him a few times and he retreats, i moved a few more guys down and moved the remaining into position for defence
Turn3- 'Lid comes again but my guy doesnt reaction fire....then it retreats....i move more guys into position....and my remaining tank
Turn4-The 'lid comes again....this time all the way and zombies one of my snipers, a guy was just around the corner waiting to reaction fire the lid but he did.....so my commander mced the zombie and shot it...both guys pump the two lids with hot laser....both go down....i mourn my snipers death by throwing the 'lids bodies into a corner....
Turn5-After all that hassel...i set my guys up for defence again....the other team was doing bad...and etheral commander was shooting mounds of heavy plasma towards them....no reaction fires back...
Turn6-The etheral commander comes back and goes down with a single laser rifle shot....the other team finally has good defence...but with only 5 guys....they wont last long to whats ahead...
Turn7-Down a long hall there was a etheral leader....sniped him...the other team made thier way SLOWLY towards the other team....
Up to turn 12 nothing happened untill both teams met up....then it got bad...
Turn13-A lid comes down but my Assualt unit takes it down in a single shot... :D then just more defence set up after that....
Turn14-16-I move my guys down a long hall to see a nice sectapod camping in a little corner....i mc part of it....us it to destroy a celetid and then destroy itself....
Turn17-20-Setting up defence along a hallway corner
Turn21-2 etheral commanders start mind blasting one of my snipers.....he panics but does nothing...my snipers eventuallt shoot him down,
Turn22-A celetid comes around the corner and blasts one of my guys laser rifles away....along with 12 health....no biggie....he takes out his psi amp and heads for cover behind the tank....the tank shortly takes out the celatid after that
Turn23-I move my guys down the hall to what i THINK might be where the command center is.....Setting up a simple 3 man defence....
Turn24-A etheral commander pops up behind us and gets off a round and then stays there.....i mced him...moved him around the corner mced a 'lid....moved it around....and as i turn a corner im almost instantly relieved to find the command center doors....i move my 'lid down there just to make sure....as he opens the door he gets barraged by 2 etherals guarding the entrance just a few squares away....
Turn25-Setting up defence just near the outer layer of the command entrance....
Turn26-My sniper/psi gets mced and im forced to kill him....he had low moral anyways....then a etheral commander pops around the corner and pumps 6 HP rounds into my elite soilder and leaves.....leaving my elite soilder with 4 wounds and 12 health....i fix her up and giver her a heavy plasma....just incase :D
Turn27-I set up a quick defence around the command center door entrance....
Turn28-The two etheral commanders step out into thier deaths of my psis and snipers.....then i send them in....
Turn29-31-Moving my snipers down the hall to both grav lifts....
Turn32-I move both of them up....quickly look around.....no ones home...
Turn33-I move my snipers close to the brain and then one of my guys panic.....
Turn34-My guy starts to lose moral quickly....so he fires 9 plasma rounds at it....taking out all 4 parts......THE END....earth is saved for awhile....btw the guy who took out the brain was a Captain-Heavy Assualt

Yup....9 guys and 2 tanks on super human....DONT tell my its impossible...
:uzzi2: :alientalk:

#14 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 10:20 PM

I see the final mission as being pretty much the same as all the other missions you've faced. With three exceptions.

1. It's the only 2-parter in UFO.
2. The second half features the only mixed crew mission in UFO.
3. The second half has two new alien base modules. The brain's theatre, and a sealed off room that you'll probably never see unless you use XComutil's VIS command. Has nothing in it but a few power units. Not sure if it has any elerium... not that it matters ;) .

The first part is pretty much the same as a sectoid battlehship mission sans the battleship with and an alternate ending objective.
The final part, your only objective is to damage the master brain. That's it. Anything in between are just bonuses.

So, bring pretty much whatever you want. As long as you can deal with, or evade the terror units and get to the brain, you'll do fine. In fact, as long as you have something that'll damage the brain, that's enough.

- NKF
Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

#15 Silk_Dragon

Silk_Dragon

Squaddie

• Forum Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 11:20 PM

I see the final mission as being pretty much the same as all the other missions you've faced. With three exceptions.

1. It's the only 2-parter in UFO.
2. The second half features the only mixed crew mission in UFO.
3. The second half has two new alien base modules. The brain's theatre, and a sealed off room that you'll probably never see unless you use XComutil's VIS command. Has nothing in it but a few power units. Not sure if it has any elerium... not that it matters ;) .

The first part is pretty much the same as a sectoid battlehship mission sans the battleship with and an alternate ending objective.
The final part, your only objective is to damage the master brain. That's it. Anything in between are just bonuses.

So, bring pretty much whatever you want. As long as you can deal with, or evade the terror units and get to the brain, you'll do fine. In fact, as long as you have something that'll damage the brain, that's enough.

- NKF

Do you think a stun rod would work?

#16 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 02:42 AM

No. Well, it'll work fine all the way up to the point where you have to knock out the brain. As the brain is technically treated as scenery, the stun-rod won't get it. So, pack a grenade along, just in case. ;)

Hey, it's possible. I'm not saying it's reasonable. ;)

Just bring along what you are most comfortable with and stick to it. Simple as that, really.

- NKF
Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

#17 deanfrz

deanfrz

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 06:12 PM

what should you take to mars? Guns, lots of guns. :D
but seriously, I take two plasma tanks, a fusion missile tank, and a crap load of soldiers, usually all in flying armor, everyone with heavy plasmas, the strongest couple also get blaster launchers.

#18 SupSuper

SupSuper

Programming Department

• Xenocide Programming Department
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 05:38 PM

i'd say EVERYTHING YOU CAN TAKE!!! whether you need it or not :P

too bad, now you will never know the ancient secrets of supsupers long gone avatar ;)

Posted Image

#19 UnknownWarrior

UnknownWarrior

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 08:46 PM

Well, I take my highest ranked soldiers and equip them each with a psi-amp, a heavy plasma, 4 heavy plasma clips, 1 medikit and 4 alien grenades and pack the avenger full with high ranked soldiers :uzzi:. It works well for me :D
I don't come here often
I am starting to like these forums

#20 imperialus

imperialus

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 12:52 PM

1 psi amp+1 HP+4 HP clips+1 medikit+4Gernades = 12 items per soldier. I belive 26 soldiers fit in the avenger so that means that your layout takes 312 items. good plan except you forget the 80 item limit.

Personally I take 2 tanks leveing me with 18 soldiers to equip. I give 14 troopers a HP a single clip plus 1 gernade. 42 items so far. My 2 psi troops I give a psi amp and a plasma pistol + clip, 3 items so 48 so far. My HW troops who make up the other two each get a blasterlauncher, 5 rounds and a plasma pistol + clip 8 items each, giveing me 64 items so far.

this leaves me with 16 free spaces to fill. I will usually take about 10 medikits distributeing them to any of my rifle troops according to rank. I also usually bring 4 laser rifles and give them to my highest ranked troops just in case the ammo runs out. the final two spots are given to electro flares. Mars gets dark sometimes and they are handy to have.

The beauty of it is since they have the same number of items I'm entiarly capable of switching riflemen with psi troopers if I have more of the latter avelable. I've never found I needed more than 10 blaster bombs total and two launchers are more than enough so I only ever need to take two real item hogs along.

I also make sure that there are no rookies present and that each trooper has had at least 10 missions under their belt. I'll take the time to continue intercepting UFO's and doing random missions untill my squad is experianced enough.