• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#51 Mad

Mad

Creative Text Department

• [Xenocide Senior Members]
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:20 AM

There is a new version of the "all department newsletter" on the Wiki! Check it out! :)

Edited by Mad, 23 January 2006 - 08:20 AM.

Keep smiling while dying

Of course I have gone mad with power! It would be completely ridiculous to go mad without power!
And no, this is not a quote from the Simpson's movie, I want it on paper, that I actually wrote that quite some time before the movie came out.

Posted Image

#52 fux0r666

fux0r666

Alien Concept Task Force

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 11:54 AM

The skyranger model isn't exactly complete... the modelling part is mostly done.

Here I go an angry brother gonna make his move
But can I buck him in the city so I never lose?
See I'm a get him in the crowd with a couple heavies
And lay the barrel to the ground, hold the gat steady
And now I'm ready for my adversary, talk is cheap
I'm looking for a way to make a plan gonna keep it neat
So don't be telling me to get the non-violent spirit
'cause when I'm violent is the only time the devils hear it
'cause all I want to see is m****f***ing brains hanging

Posted Image

#53 Mad

Mad

Creative Text Department

• 1,958 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:47 PM

The skyranger model isn't exactly complete... the modelling part is mostly done.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, that's what I was told by Vaaish...

---Edit---
typo...

Edited by Mad, 23 January 2006 - 03:47 PM.

Keep smiling while dying

Of course I have gone mad with power! It would be completely ridiculous to go mad without power!
And no, this is not a quote from the Simpson's movie, I want it on paper, that I actually wrote that quite some time before the movie came out.

Posted Image

#54 fux0r666

fux0r666

Alien Concept Task Force

• 1,028 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:35 PM

What I was saying is that 'the model is complete' is vague in that it could mean that the geometry is complete or the textures are also complete or that everything including the animations are complete.

Posted Image

#55 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:37 PM

Well, as I understand it (and as I've been posting in the news), the model is the model, no textures involved. When we say that "x has completed texturing y model", means that both model and textures are complete. And animations... well... besides Vaaish's Collector animation, which is just a rotating camera, I don't think anyone is going to confuse a model with an animation.

#56 Mad

Mad

Creative Text Department

• 1,958 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 02:58 AM

Well, whatever makes you happy. This is no big deal. I added "geometry" to the "model done" so this should be correct enough... is it? :)
Keep smiling while dying

Posted Image

#57 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:09 PM

What I was saying is that 'the model is complete' is vague in that it could mean that the geometry is complete or the textures are also complete or that everything including the animations are complete.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the model is complete, can someone post a render? We should show our progress on the news, and new models are always appealing.

#58 fux0r666

fux0r666

Alien Concept Task Force

• 1,028 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 06:17 AM

It looks pretty much the same as it did last time. It just has a hole in the donkey now.

Posted Image

#59 Vaaish

Vaaish

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 06:38 AM

I think I meant to say that Skyranger MODELING was complete. I'm well aware that the texture are not done for this mesh.

I apologize for the confusion.

#60 Mad

Mad

Creative Text Department

• 1,958 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 06:47 AM

I think I meant to say that Skyranger MODELING was complete. I'm well aware that the texture are not done for this mesh.

I apologize for the confusion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No problem at all. :)
Keep smiling while dying

Posted Image

#61 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2006 - 08:15 AM

It looks pretty much the same as it did last time.  It just has a hole in the donkey now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is it alright if I use those older pics for news, then?

#62 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:35 AM

It looks pretty much the same as it did last time.  It just has a hole in the donkey now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is it alright if I use those older pics for news, then?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll take that as a "do whatever you want".

#63 fux0r666

fux0r666

Alien Concept Task Force

• 1,028 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 03:58 AM

I don't actually really check this thread.

I, personally, wouldn't show anything until it's done- but the media is there. I can't stop you from using it.

Posted Image

#64 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 08:37 AM

I don't actually really check this thread.

I, personally, wouldn't show anything until it's done- but the media is there.  I can't stop you from using it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I personally wouldn't use anything until it's done, but if you say that the model is done, it would be nice to post a render so:
1) The rest of us can see, as many (including myself) enjoy seeing progress, whatever department it is. PX is about fun (for most of us), and watching new models, new programming, new whatever is fun, maybe new concept for some people.
2) I post news, news attract people, people attract other people, one of those people might be an artist, artist might want to join PX, PX might want to recruit artist, I get to see yet more progress, I am happy.

Edited by Azrael, 05 February 2006 - 08:38 AM.

#65 fux0r666

fux0r666

Alien Concept Task Force

• 1,028 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:06 AM

This is sort of the ambiguity of language with regards to this model again. I mean, when it is skinned and looks like an airplane, I would post pictures of it.

There is some geometry on there that's pretty broken, especially one the tail-boom. It looks like crumpled paper that was re-flattened... like it has a cellulite problem.. or whatever. It's bad (rough) worksmanship on my part, and I don't know what kind of artist that that would attract.

I mean, as the person who is in charge of this sort of thing, would you rather post "Xenocide: Slightly better than a near-sighted, homeless wino could scrape into the side of a ditch with a stick," or maybe something a little more attention grabbing?

As for *MY* progress, I'm afraid you won't be seeing anything from me this month. I have much too much on my plate to worry about this for now.

Edited by fux0r666, 05 February 2006 - 09:11 AM.

Posted Image

#66 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:47 AM

Same here, exam and RL take too much time from me atm..

Nevertheless, it's a completed model, and people like seeing that PX is not dead and has something new, no mean to offend, but I think the only person that is bothered by a non-skinned model is you, I love to see the renders of every change (I enjoy seeing Darkhomb posting his Raptor renders, for instance). And I'm not sure what you mean by bad worksmanship, even if it's not your best work, it does look very good.

And no, I'm not the person in charge, in fact I wish there was someone in charge.

I apologise if I sound upset or anything, I'm not, it's just that I know many of us enjoy seeing art / music / programming progress, and when you guys just take all on IM and don't show renders to anyone, it does bother me a bit, but that's just me (it's not as if taking a render and posting it is such a hard job anyway...) (btw, I'm not mentioning Creative Text as we post all of our progress since our main work site is the forums ^_^)

Anyone interested in posting the news, please let me know, I have no time to do it properly lately

#67 Mad

Mad

Creative Text Department

• 1,958 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:47 AM

Aaalright, I think it is time for a little advertising... :)
There is (as every two weeks in the last four months or so) a new version of the newsletter available on the Wiki.
In a related matter, I would like to ask everyone to PM me if you think you are doing something which should go in the next edition of the newsletter. And by this, I mean not only in the next two weeks, but always. This way, your work will not be missed - something which can happen very quick, especailly if you are not documenting your progress in the forums.
Keep smiling while dying

Posted Image

#68 Mad

Mad

Creative Text Department

• 1,958 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 02:11 AM

Because I lack the time to do it right now, Zombie was so kind to write this weeks edition of the all department newsletter. A big thanks to him!
Keep smiling while dying

Posted Image

#69 Zombie

Zombie

Colonel

• Xenocide Creative-Text Departmen
  • 2,947 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 11:30 AM

The latest copy of the All Departments Newsletter is now online and ready to be read.
Since there were no objections to my last effort, I decided to try my hand at it again. Better late than never. :wink1:

Mad, you may want to clean it up a bit. I threw it together in a haste. :blush1:

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie, 19 April 2006 - 11:35 AM.

The Mr. Grognard of X-COM

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#70 Mad

Mad

Creative Text Department

• 1,958 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 12:05 PM

Good thing! Thanks a lot! I just didn't manage to care about the newsletter.
I'll have a look at it this minute.
Keep smiling while dying

Posted Image

#71 Mad

Mad

Creative Text Department

• 1,958 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 09:33 AM

Thanks to kafros a new version of the newsletter is available. I'm sorry for the missing editions, but I'm just plain too busy to take care of the letter myself.
Keep smiling while dying

Posted Image

#72 Mad

Mad

Creative Text Department

• 1,958 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 02:45 PM

The big newsletter survey! Be a part of it! Stop us now or remain silent forever!

Oh, and btw, there is a new issue of the newsletter online...
Keep smiling while dying

Posted Image

#73 Guest_Azrael_*

Guest_Azrael_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:34 PM

When is the next issue due? :)

#74 Mad

Mad

Creative Text Department

• 1,958 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:27 AM

When is the next issue due? :)

:) You got me. Ok. This hasn't been updated quite a while. I'm not a saint. ;) Thing is, this always takes around two hours to make, and kafros is in the middle of his exams, so am I. So I thought the time might be better invested in working on CTs, than releasing several issues with "nothing happened". Ok, but I will try to release a mega-issue covering the whole time since the last issue as soon as I'm done with my exam. Maybe kafros is faster. we'll see.

Edit: You know, it's quite tricky to keep the pace. Every two weeks can be tricky to keep up to alone.

Edited by Mad, 13 February 2007 - 03:35 AM.

Keep smiling while dying

Posted Image

#75 dteviot

dteviot

Programming Department

• 1,479 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 01:35 PM

I'm stoked. One of the recruits (taz0k) has made a patch to the XNA Xenocide code, then filmed it and uploaded the video to YouTube.
This gives people who can't run XNA a chance to see how the project is going.
You can check it out here:

I wonder if someone might like to do another one, showing all the features we've got so far.

Edited by dteviot, 10 September 2007 - 01:36 PM.
typo

Saving the world from the scum of the universe is hard work. Especially when you have to create the scum to begin with.

#76 Guest_Azrael Strife_*

Guest_Azrael Strife_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2007 - 01:58 PM

Awesome!

I wouldn't display base management just yet though, such a huge turn-off! :P