XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Toxin A/b/c

Diemex

So I have just equipped disrupters 2 missions ago.... and I've managed to reseach toxin A.

The UFOpedia description lends me to believe that the toxin A will be near useless on Anthropods and Skeletoids. Is that accurate ? Should I stick with disrupters and move to devastators.... or should I start pelting the aliens with Toxin A now that I can?

Toxins go straight through those blue shields without damaging them. For this reason alone, they're completely worth it. They will also kill poppers without causing them to detonate.

Toxin A takes a few shots to down those mid range aliens, but it fires EXTREMELY fast. Faster than a machine gun fast. It can take a clip or even several to down a super sized alien.

Edited by Robo Dojo 58

With the exception of those incredibly small clips, the toxins are the most powerful weapons against the aliens, and are by far the most effective means of getting free disrupter shields, next to mind control and stun gas.

You can try to kill humans and brainsucked humans with toxin, but it's a complete waste of time and ammo. Only the aliens are affected by it to any great degree.

I would recommend going with a mix of toxiguns and devestator cannons (which you can easily find in the battlefield, by the way). If you're low on toxin ammo, there's no sense in wasting shots on aliens that aren't wearing disrupter shields (i.e. every other aliens other than the anthropods and skeletoids).

If you intend to use them, be sure to build a fair stockpile of ammo. The 16 shot clips tend to get used up very quickly. And if you intend to use a lot of these, have a standard inventory setup so that you can use the trick where you equip multiple soldiers at the same time. It's quite a soul destroying experience to arm a large group of soldiers manually after every mission. Also, considering the ridiculous rate of fire, try not to use double toxiguns on anything but aimed or snap shots. On auto, the second toxigun is barely fired. That's just how fast it is.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

You will probably end up using 1 toxigun and a personal cloak in the other hand. If you can build toxin A you can research toxin-B for sure. I mean all the time it took you to build a large biolab and research bio warfare you have to have researched practially all the other bio projects or at least the ones needed for toxin-B. I think I have never built toxin-A in any game. What I do is to build toxiguns first, 10 or 20 of them, usually 20, to give 1 to each of the 10 humans and 10 hybrids I take on missions. By the time my workshops are done with this, I'm ready to produce toxin-B. And as NFK said, a lot of it! Don't worry about costs, it pays for itself with the amount of equipment you get. Just set all your workshops to producing 50(max) toxin-B when ready.

I don't take any other weapon with me usually. I only take devastators in the backpack, before I can use shields. Then the only thing that fits with 2 shields is a powesword, usefull for 'cutting corners' if you know what I mean. The only other thing you need is the alien nades called vortex mines to kill the enemy building reinforcement pads. And that's it.

I cannot research toxin B yet, I was surprised that I could do toxin A so early. I still have not seen shields, vortex mines, etc. Just starting to see devastators and boomaroids which I have not researched.

But I do have almost all standard aliens live and dead researched. I did Bio warfare, genetic structure.... I think Alien Life Cycle is my next topic.... which probably will open up toxin B for me.

I think I'll stick with disrupters untill 'B' is ready to roll.... then I'll use that primarily with devastators for backup when I run out of ammo.

Oh and I'll still need devastators for raids...

Just curious, what aliens and their associated corpses have you researched so far? I'll list the aliens (that I can remember).

Anthropod

Skeletoid

Brainsucker Pod

Brainsucker

Multiworm egg

Chryssalis

Multiworm

Hyperworm

(This lot should give you the alien life cycle)

Spitter

Popper

Micronoid Aggregate

Megaspawn

Psimorph

Queenspawn

Let's not even count the sectoid civilians (which are not aliens due to a technicality) or the Overspawn, which is more of a cityscape tank thingy.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

So far I have these aliens researched :

Anthropod (live/dead)

Skeletoid (dead <-- but I got this done AFTER toxin A)

Brainsucker Pod (live)

Brainsucker (live / dead)

Multiworm egg (live / dead)

Chryssalis (live / dead)

Multiworm (live / dead)

Hyperworm (live / dead)

Spitter (live / dead)

Popper (dead)

Still need a live popper and a live skelly, and then the higher lifeforms. Which will be a while as I only have up to UFO type 6 visiting my city. The higher aliens live in the higher ufos if I recall. Its very early in my game no shields, cloaks, teleports, vortex, etc. Kind of early for toxin A to be flying around.

That looks fine. Just fill in the gaps, and be prepared to grab one of the micronoid aggregates. They'll really help you on your way to Toxin-C. They only appear on the bomber (the green UFO) and the first alien building. Be sure to take a stun grapple and a weak weapon along. An android would help too, but that's up to you.

- NKF