XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Acid Missile

Chaim

That's the Entropy missile.

The best defence against an entropy missile are personal shields, but they can only stop two missiles in rapid succession (each missile eats 1/3 of a shield). A third missile will destroy it and if you have no more shields left, will start to eat away your equipment.

When you see these missiles being fired at you, it's often a good idea to immediately run for cover and try and get the alien with the entropy launcher to come up close so you can kill it quickly with short range automatic fire.

---

If you're hit by a missile and your equipment starts to dissolve, the only way you can save yourself is to immediately drop everything (especially ammo and explosives) and take off your armour.

In Real-Time wait for 1 game second before picking everything up (or was it 3 seconds? No I'm sure it was 1 game second). In turn-based, the effects last for 1 turn.

The one problem is when you're in the middle of a fire fight. I know, it's not nice running around without any armour while devestator beams and vortex mines are being tossed about. Drop a smoke grenade to mask your retreat, drop everything and run (or just drop everything but the smoke grenade and run). If you're near an exit, you could also save the soldier by escaping - but you lose the use of the soldier for the rest of the mission.

A full set of disrupter armour (a fresh suit, with no damage to it whatsoever) can sometimes survive 1 missile - and 1 missile alone. But your armour will be left severely damaged, and will get destroyed very easily from ordinary gun-fire or even the next entropy missile unless you pick up another disrupter shield. But if you're in a situation where you simply cannot afford to take off your armour, the disrupter armour could give you one fighting chance.

- NKF

• 6 months later...

Heh, matrix type manouvers are fun to try but extremly hard to pull off, many a time have my soldiers stood there confused at my orders while getting shot instead of dodging and firing back.

Apocalypse is an almost totally different game to Enemy Unknown, very few similarites in it, the only advantage of being an XCOM vet is that you know that INCEDINARY RULES!!!

• 2 months later...
the only advantage of being an XCOM vet is that you know that INCEDINARY RULES!!!

Not when you obtain Toxin-C ;)

Incendiary rules? Maybe I should try it more, but all I ever seem to manage to do is block key passages, eliminate valuable cover, and do excessive damage to environments I want to protect, all while still being shot at by aliens that are on fire but not dying very fast. Incendiary ='s funny in my experience but not particularly useful. Is it better in real time?

its freakin fun though. If you can get a CoS guy with a ton of explosives are an anthropod with vortex mines, it is so satisfying to see the massive explosions.

• 10 months later...

Apocalypse incendiary does have a 'terror' effect that was never present in the first few games. It forces units standing in fire to flee from it until they're standing on a non-burning tile. This completely ignores the unit's disposition setting! What a great method of forcing enemy units to break up, like a mob of anthropods - or hyperworms.

Apart from that, it's slow roast for heavily armoured units. Hyperworms do not fare too well in it however.

- NKF