XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Ufo Armament Loot Influenced By Battlescape?

Moriarty

one question came to my mind recently, when I realized that I could see UFO Shields in the battlescape of a downed type-3 UFO before the aliens ever used vehicle shields: is there any real connection between what you can see in the battlescape and what you actually receive as salvage (as in XCOM1&2)?

do I have to be careful about shooting stuff, because it reduces my chances of salvaging stuff?

apparently you don't automatically salvage anything you can see in the battlescape, because the UFO is always undamaged there (in the beginning), and you can see all the components, but rarely get more than one item (weapon/shield/whatever).

Thankfully, no.

You only get 1 item of a certain type if the UFO comes equipped with it in the cityscape (i.e. 1 medium disrupter, if it has one. One small shield, if it's shielded and a medium sized UFO - large if it's a capital ship). UFO components like propulsion and navigation aren't physical objects, and are research topics only, so no problem with them.

All the subsystems you see in the battlescape are basically just for show. Pity really, as some UFOs look as though they come with plenty of useful armament, like the awesome disrupter inversion missiles or the small shields. I like the inversion missiles, but they take forever to build. It would've been great if you could collect some ammo in addition to the launcher.

- NKF

yes, absolutely. it would also be nice if your actions in the battlescape had any real effect.

actually, I shouldn't have asked... now what is going to keep me from just blasting the entire interior of the ufo with the largest weapons available? duh.

you know, they really appear to have had some nice ideas for apoc (including what can be deduced from the existing, but inactivated additional stuff) but didn't implement it... probably ran out of time or money or producer patience. :(

you know, they really appear to have had some nice ideas for apoc (including what can be deduced from the existing, but inactivated additional stuff) but didn't implement it... probably ran out of time or money or producer patience. :(

Yeah, what a pity really. That could have been an amazig game if all the ideas i see there were done right. Not that its bad now, just sad to think about the wasted potential it has...

• 3 months later...

Yeah, what a pity really. That could have been an amazig game if all the ideas i see there were done right. Not that its bad now, just sad to think about the wasted potential it has...

The lead developer, Julian Gollop has said that of both X-Com games Mythos was behind, they didn't feel like they had the time or resources to really do the games properly. You can see that there is a lot of stuff in Apoc that never got implemented, but I have no idea what he's talking about in the original. That game is a classic.