XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Shields

I was wonderin why dont you use a sort of persanel sheild on your arm to help block enemy fire like the storm sheild and combat sheild in WH40K.

but you cant use 2 handed weapons because 1 hand is holding the sheild?

this is completely open for discussion. B)

The main reason you do not have buckler shields as you are suggesting is that most projectile firing guns are difficult to impossible to use accurately with one hand. Even pistols are only moderately effective at best when using with one hand. This would be doubly true when dealing with the weight issues of trying to hold up a suitable armor shield of some kind. Those ceramic inserts that have for Type IV body-armor are kinda hefty. It is a good thing that they go over your torso, and even then they make you a little bit slower.

Although the days of legions with a gladius(pistol) and shield are over, there are still options to increase personal protection in the field. SWAT teams regularly use what has popularily been described as the 'riot shield'. The tower shields are designed with a transparent viewing window surrounded by tough, muniiton resistant material. I could easily see a soldier dragging that along, the weapon placed in a holder on the shiled or allowed to dangle tightly on a lanyard. An AA Riot Shield would be perfect for the first guy going into a UFO or just the room of a house. That is if you are willing to wait for him to make the jog.

Now heavier armor may feature a lot tougher defenses on the arms and sides anyway, being along the same thinking as a combat shield.

I also have doubts that those shields would be effective enough in combat against a large caliber rifle to make them more useful than stealth and ability to accurately fire a rifle. And if they aren't effective against a large bullet, what would a chunk of 100,000 K plasma do to it?

i dont know how hot, maybe 20,000 Ks would be a bit more realistic weaponry wise, but you get my point?