XCOMUFO & Xenocide

New Scenario : Search And Destroy

nachtwolf

A new scenario will be available soon, called SEARCH AND DESTROY, it will allow both players to spawn anywhere on the map.

Units can be placed ANYWHERE : middle, other side, etc. The result is a game you simply can't predict. With a bit of time, this game mode will fortunately see new tactics appear and, I hope, make the game more interesting.

For the moment it has been tested by Hobbes, Kratos, me and Julius and we all agree this is SERIOUS FUN.

Here is the briefing :

SEARCH AND DESTROY

You can deploy your units anywhere on the map. Find and kill the ennemy.

All units will face away from the center and the outside of the map, depending on the closest.

Map exploration level 0 (unexplored) recommended.

Edited by nachtwolf

Sounds fun. I'm guessing the 'random' deployment will produce interesting results, as well as letting players spice up the gameplay.

One man vs. several in a hunter-hunted situation? Now that'd be interesting.

I played on it too, it is an excellent game type, it takes some real strategy and planning, and because there are so many ways to play on it, you are never going to simply plow through someone just because you know there general location. Do i put several 3-4 man squads or 1 or 2 7-15 man squads?

As proposed in the Survival scenario topic by Hobbes, I changed the name of this scenario to "Search and destroy" since it fits better than HUNT

I want to play this. When do we get a release?

There is still a minor problem to fix that occurs when two units spawn at the exact same location. One of the two conflicted units remains invisible until it moves.

I found that this bug also occurs when a unit falls on another unit's cell. The fix will be made for both situations.

Edited by nachtwolf

Spawn crash only happens when 2 or more of each player's units are placed as the others'. ie: Unit 1 from player 1 and Unit 2 from player 2 are placed on tile 1; then Unit 2 from player 1 and Unit 2 from player 2 are placed on tile 2 as each other as well. But if only Unit 1 from player 1 and Unit 2 from player 2 are placed on same tile and they are the only ones, then the second player's unit becomes invisible thus will not crash on player 1. Crash occurs only on player 1 mind you.

• 1 month later...

Search and Destroy would be ready if it wasn't about the spawn conflict.

Comments ATM about the spawn conflict :

:Brickwall:

That's about it...

Lots of analysis left there gents... I have identified a few places where conflict between 2 soldiers could be checked. But every time I find a way to SET it, it seems the soldiers get reinitialized a second time further in the process.

Helpful comments are sparse and the functions timeline seems pretty twisted for that part of the game.

Anyway, I'm slowly working my way toward something that works. I've got errors to tell me I'm making progress. :P

The bug doesn't occur anymore.

:cheers:

Search and destroy should be available as soon as this spawn bug fix is thoroughly tested. :Hyper:

EDIT : Oops... forget that last line about testing and windows.

That occured when I was about to post a file and decided not to (too big).

Msn me (profile) if you want the testing archive or a .diff / .patch file.

Edited by nachtwolf

Search and Destroy scenario :

Spawn anywhere on the map and look for your opponents who are also anywhere.

----------------------------------------------

Tested in hotseat, tested in multiplayer.

Spawn bug doesn't occur anymore and this scenario is ready to be added.

It should be included in the next Beta build !

Edited by nachtwolf

Can't you just give us the datafiles? I wanna play this thing!

The scenario is part of the .exe, so giving you this exe is the same as the next Beta release.

There are not "separate" data files that would work with the current version (1019) as this is an update to the whole exe.

If you still want the exe, you'll have to contact me on msn or something since the archive is too big for this forum (2.76Mb).

Please note that you still need the lastest version's files, namely 1019 to run it. Also, this will not be compatible with the next Beta nor compatible with the current one (1019).

Edited by nachtwolf

i was just thinking, since putting a unit onto an occupied square moves you up until you hit open space, what happens if all four levels are occupied

or more like this (horizontally because i'm lazy)

X= unit

B = object occupying space

if i put a unit onto an occupied space, it moves up, like so

B B X

but what happens if

B B B B

does the X get put into netherlands, or is it forced out of the dimension and crash the game?

Uploaded .diff file for anyone who wishes to test/try this feature in depth before the Beta.

Simply apply to the lastest sources, compile and have fun !

Enjoy! :D

Search_And_Destroy.zip

Added in revision 1027 for in-depth testing.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...