XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART-Raptor

A couple of the first pics posted here have some horns that flank the mouth. Maybe they don't flex, but have hooks/barbs angled towards the mouth. When it charges, it whips the head around to batter prey and hook it on those horns like a fish. And through some weird muscle system, when it opens its mouth the same muscles flex on those hooks, making them flex together to hold the prey close to the mouth.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really that elaborate, just short horns that curve towards the center a little would work for that idea. Regarding the T-Rex arms, they didn't really serve any purpose IIRC, they had evolved out of use. If they hadn't been wiped out, I think it would have eventually evolved to not have them at all.

• 4 months later...
awww.....he hurt his hand? awww....and his licking his wound....so cute...

i think it needs more body. it looks like a snake with feet, but i like its head. Edited by mikker

I like the concept. Of course, some minor tweaks could always be used...For instance, make it look pissed. And the legs should look a little more powerful. I'm glad we finally have enough decent concept artists. You, Fux, and Deimos are the only three who come on enough. :D

Edit: Forgot about Deimos and his concepts. Edited by Cpl. Facehugger

yeah more musle and more fat, I was basing his body on a grey hounds, becouse the charactor looks quite speedy. I'll give him very wide hips and more musle around the neck as well.

and although Im liking the jaw (think blade 2) it need a look more work,
I and don't really like the rest of the face, I'll try more of a heck hound look to it :devillaugh:

I'll problaby try doing a picture of it showing just the musles with out the skin, good for a altotpe (I have no idea hw you spell this) pic to0.

make the face more enlongated. and loose the big horn things you have there. he needs to look more predatory and less like a chickenlegged, tailed, bulldog with tusks.

[quote]err Vaaish are you talking about the old one? we've moved on since that...[/quote]
I'm talking about the one you just posted about 5 or six posts up. If you have done another version, please direct me to it. Edited by Vaaish

I like your current pic up there, very nice. Does the reaper have to be massively-mucled monster? I always thought the 2 leg/no arm design of the original was to suggest more speed than brute force. And if the aliens keep it hungry so it "feeds" more at terror sites, it wouldn't have that much belly hanging down there. Pretty cool stuff!

I like that reaper concept as well

when the mouth turns up it makes him look like he is smiling especially with the eyes closed in the middle pic. having the wide round eyes on the other two also make him appear a little too jovial. try dromming the brow on the front of the eyes and enlongating the same to get more anger out of him.

[quote name='Cpl. Facehugger' date='Feb 1 2004, 05:10 PM']Yup, but keep that preyin mantis jaw, that was cool! And...remember that it needs fur. The original reaper was vlunerable to fire due to fur, and we are keeping it the same for xenocide.[/quote]
thumbs up!

that looks like a dog :unsure:

I think you are starting to make it look way too much like a dog or other terrestrial animal. Maybe we should start moving away from this look for the head and try something completely different.

I agree with Vaaish, we don't want the player to think they are fighting a big mutant dog. I think the reaper would look better as some sort of furry insect, or a spider like body (keeping the two legs and triple jaw though)

Funny, it's a triple jawed monster called Reaper, and in Blade2 (which you said you based it off) the enemies are mutated, triple jawed vampires, supposedly because of a virus called 'the Reaper Strain'. Coincidence? ;)
What if you gave it the same shape of the head as Deimos did for one (earlier in this thread), while keeping the triple jaw?

ok this is getting impossable, I can do doodles till the sun comes home.. but what ever I do someone isn't going to like it.

and can people please think about what their saying
[quote]I think the reaper would look better as some sort of furry insect, or a spider like body (keeping the two legs and triple jaw though)[/quote]
how the heck am I going to draw that huh?

1: a spiders body is designed to sit on 6-8 legs it would look unblancened on 2. A spider is a insect so there goes the idea of the of having actaul mammal based musles on the legs.

the jaw works better on a longer head shape a bit like a snakes jaw, and becouse of the two pieces it can fold the teeth inside the mouth this way. on a snub-nosed face it won't beable to fit the teeth inside.

and what this about making it like a insect? on page two you were asking me to draw it like a mammal?

Im going to make a big post on posting I think...

[quote name='Zipperhead' date='Feb 1 2004, 03:50 PM']ok this is getting impossable, I can do doodles till the sun comes home.. but what ever I do someone isn't going to like it.

and can people please think about what their saying
[quote] I think the reaper would look better as some sort of furry insect, or a spider like body (keeping the two legs and triple jaw though)[/quote]
how the heck am I going to draw that huh?

1: a spiders body is designed to sit on 6-8 legs it would look unblancened on 2. A spider is a insect so there goes the idea of the of having actaul mammal based musles on the legs.

the jaw works better on a longer head shape a bit like a snakes jaw, and becouse of the two pieces it can fold the teeth inside the mouth this way. on a snub-nosed face it won't beable to fit the teeth inside.

and what this about making it like a insect? on page two you were asking me to draw it like a mammal?

Im going to make a big post on posting I think... [/quote]
Ok, calm down.

I was afraid this would happen, thats why I wanted you to stop tweaking this and take an entirely different approach. Sometimes you can just overwork a piece to the point you get frustrated.

There is no need to start demeaning people just because they post an idea that is radically different. What may seem impossible to you or me is quite conceivable; these are aliens remember.

as for drawing the spider creature, well that the fun part. You can usually make something more creative when you are given limits to work inside. Face hugger set limits, if you choose to accept, that have the prospect of creating a very unique concept for the reaper. Of course there is no written rule that says you must sketch everything people post.

Im sorry I don't mean to demean anyone, its just that Im not very good with words and most of what I say comes across quite pointed.

Im sorry if I offend anyone

Dont worry that happens to every new guy :D ... Here we always drop ideas, and its up to you to test them if you want... And as Vaaish said endless tweaking instead of full new concepts are a waste on time when researching how to best depict an unknown alien...

For instance the Grey is a well known one, so we cant deviate much from it, however for the ripper the only thing that you should assume is it that it is a Terrorism Creature so anything can be posible...

Greetings
Red Knight

Zipperhead, I think if you can pull the rounded front elements from the furry design I did further up and tie it into your tri mouthed 'dog' we'll be cooking with gas. I think the reason why there is some flak from your idea of using a dog as a base is that no matter how annoyed a dog might be it is linked as mans best friend from the beginning of time. His eyes also have that dog like quality to them, which is a good thing because that means you know your stuff :), but bad in this case becasue we don't want the player relating to the reaper in anything other than a "OMG here comes another one of them" kind of fear response.

As Drewid mentioned way back up the thread the almost alien of the beetle black eyes worked well as if we go with the almost universal fear of spiders and use more than two eyes as this is a predator in the most basic sense it'll give that xenophobia we're all looking for.

I think one of the reasons Giger's alien worked so well was because the viewer knew it was intelligent but couldn't relate to how its intelligence worked. IE no eyes, ears or nose. So if we lose the nose as well and have the eyes shining and black (like Nietche's {sp?} abyss) we'll be onto a winner.

Oh and don't worry too much about the conflict of ideas. Pm me if you are having trouble with it and I'll give you some tips ;) Edited by Deimos

Just started to made a reaper head, and well i got this, anybody can use it...:-) just to give more ideas... ^_^

I added a kind of collar, so it´s like a pet to aliens...don´t know :unsure: , and wanted it look like a savage alien animal...

if someone wants original (no color), message or email-me... Edited by kliffoth

That looks cool! That would look scary in the night mission, especially if those eyes would glow! :o

[quote name='Deimos' date='Feb 2 2004, 01:24 AM']So if we lose the nose as well and have the eyes shining and black (like Nietche's {sp?} abyss) we'll be onto a winner.[/quote]
Like this??

Not sure. might be a bit goofy. not quite evil enough and the rounded muzzle doesn't help. I do like the beetle eyes though.

hmmmmm