XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Table-Top Tactical Role Playing Game Similar to XCOM

Dersham

For the last couple years I've been working on a table top game inspired by Jagged Alliance and XCOM, which is called The Way of War. The game is similar to XCOM in that it is a turn based role playing game, but you play on the table top instead. You control a team of combatants with various skills and weapons, but as of yet there are no spaceships. I do plan on creating further campaign books that will open up more rules for science fiction fans. Now I've been playing the game using Action Figures, but there are rules for miniatures too or any other type of figures you wish (Legomen, Stickmen, bugs, etc), the difficulty is just that you have to create your own battlefield for your figures to play on. I've got the free version of the game posted on my site www.TheWayofWar.net

Check out the Game Features section to find out more details of the game, the products section has the free version that you can download and peruse at your leisure.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi everyone. I received some feedback from a few people that my manual was difficult to slog through, so I've made a major update to the organization of it. All the game features are the same, just the explanation and how everything was put together has changed. Check it out on my site, there is a free version of the game if you want to get a handle on how it all works. Hopefully next week I hope to release a guide/manual which will be a quick play version of the game so that everyone can jump right into it. The manuals are on my site at http://thewayofwar.net/products

• 4 weeks later...

It doesn't look like anyone responds to this group of messages anymore but I've noticed quite a few people are checking out my links from here.

So I thought I would post a new update on some additions to my game and site. I've got out a new Quick Play Tutorial Guide (only ten pages long and its free too) that allows people to get a handle on the game in short amount of time providing you with only some information that you need to know. To find out more take a look at the link:

www.thewayofwar.net/products

This may not appeal to you modern wargamers, but those of you into scifi/fantasy my first campaign book is out, called Zombie Apocalypse, which as you can imagine involves fighting zombies. The campaign book uses the same rule system, but includes more rules and campaigns on fighting zombies. Zombie Apocalypse is actually made up of 3 smaller campaigns that are linked together. I'll describe the three campaigns below, but for you modern wargamers I've included another Combat Search and Rescue mission example called CSAR mission 2 it has lots of pictures and a play by play, which you can find at the link http://thewayofwar.net/game-examples

Now for those Zombie Apocalypse campaigns

The first campaign is called Suburban Nightmare, which is about a group of survivors trying to survive in their suburban neighborhood. They have to go out and gather supplies in order to ensure their own survival as well as fight off zombie hordes. There's a fair bit of item creation in this campaign as well as you can design items and defenses for your neighborhood.

The second campaign is called The Convoy and is about a group of survivors driving across the zombie wasteland trying to get to a place of safety. You'll have to find food and fuel to keep the convoy going and you don't have time to make anything. Everything that keeps your people going is what you can scavenge.

The third campaign is called Out of the Ashes. Here the survivors of the Convoy make it to the Suburban Nightmare and the two groups form a civilization that has to compete with two other factions that are aiming to take control of the wasteland. You'll have to take locations and hold them against enemy attack. You'll have to decide carefully which faction you trust. The Ex-Patriots a group of ex-military survivors or the Snakes a group of raiders, thieves and thugs who've banded together.

Check it out all at on the Products section of my site.
http://thewayofwar.net/products

Edited by Dersham

• 1 month later...

I've made another new campaign book called Raiding
"Operations: Hit and Run on the Drug Trade". This campaign was inspired
by Vietnam LRRP (Long Range Recon Patrol) missions and Special Forces
raiding attacks. You lead a small team behind enemy lines to locate and
destroy enemy bases. Much like in the real world your team can call on
air and artillery support from offboard. The campaign takes place over
three separate grid maps and as you progress the campaign grows more
difficult. The rules are for both miniatures and action figures.

For
this campaign I had to make a lot of new scenery so I set up a How To
section on my site so that you can see how to make these things for
yourself. What I made was for 1:18 scale, but you can easily copy what I
did for miniatures you just have to make things smaller. Check out my
how to section at: http://thewayofwar.net/how-to

For information about the new campaign book click http://thewayofwar.net/products

• 7 months later...

I'm happy to report that I've made some rather significant changes to the game and come out with a new manual I like to refer to as the Easy Edition V1. It's the same turn based strategy RPG style of game, that the original was just a whole lot less complicated.

What I did was to change the combat system that I used so that it no longers uses percentages or multiplication, now it simply has just addition and subtraction.

As usual I have a free version of the manual out and of course the full version. Check it all out at my website

http://www.thewayofwar.net/products