XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART-Grey

I think the Grey is a pretty well known alien myth ( assuming it is a myth :naughty: ) in recent times, and there is a lot of "documentation" of what they look like. A little look into these would be helpful, altho what has already been created isn't far off.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll agree with Jim, the Grey is pretty iconic visually so if we change too much from the standard people are going to get confused.
For me Cubik's grey is getting there, he just needs to be a bit more threatening. Remember the lose screen from the game where the sectoid comes into the UN building and blows the human representatives head off. The look on his face is perfectly malicious and would be great for our 'Greys'.

For me, the original sectoids were really, really scary. Just looking at their eyes, the shape and position of them made them look evil to me. Go look at the ufopedia pic of a sectoid, and ask yourself if you agree.

So we should endevor to make the sectoid as frightening as possible within the sectoid template. Imo.

That's my take on it, some of the aliens looked a little too terran. Could just be me but they should all recieve a face lift in the scaryness department, if I saw a sectoid down an alley lookin at me I'd prob kick the s**t out of him if he pointed some dodgy thing at me, make him a little more aggresive and I might pause long enough 4 him 2 show me the Plasma Pistol :LOL:

[quote name='Deimos' date='Sep 8 2003, 09:12 AM']I'll agree with Jim, the Grey is pretty iconic visually so if we change too much from the standard people are going to get confused.
For me Cubik's grey is getting there, he just needs to be a bit more threatening. Remember the lose screen from the game where the sectoid comes into the UN building and blows the human representatives head off. The look on his face is perfectly malicious and would be great for our 'Greys'.[/quote]
There was a christmas version of that picture floating around somewhere as well.

NOTICE!

As a general informal announcement, we're asking that the various concept threads for the aliens focus more on posting concepts right now, rather than requesting tweaks to other artist's concepts. Rather than taking each concept and tweaking it as it comes in, let's leave it up to the artist to present their idea, and if you'd prefer a change to it, either modify the posted image to show what you mean (and that becomes another concept), or PM the artist about getting the files if that would make it easier to do. Some threads have lots of posts with tiny tweaks to essentially the same concept pic, which makes the contect very cyclic.

Thanks!

Also, please read:
[url="http://www.xcomufo.com/forums//index.php?showtopic=2355"]http://www.xcomufo.com/forums//index.php?s...?showtopic=2355[/url]

• 2 weeks later...
I also like the aggressive look to the face. While they are mentally better and could go with the cool nonchalant look, I like the idea that they are kids with magnifying glasses on a sunny day, and we're the ants. That kind of aggressive. ^_^

I Like the general expression. I think the aggressive/passive about thing is a bit of a red herring. It's as much to do with the mouth as the eyes. getting that impassive cold hatred coming across.

It should model up to be more skull like than an architype "grey", which is no bad thing. We can play to that.

Hands are a too small though I think.

I can see the bony face or the smooth face version working. Here's a pic showing the bonier version...

Or perhaps more of a smooth face, with a body suit? There are lots of alien visitor stories where they wore dark work suits. Hopefully the idea isn't overshadowed by my "impressive" art skills (impressively bad!) :D

Perhaps they could have the passive look while you assault their UFO or base, but when they come knocking at your base, they could have the aggressive look to them? Might be too much to have two models of it, though. I think the passive one would be better. Aren't they supposed to be mindless automotons? (except for sectoid leaders, I guess)

That's certainly do-able. I would also hope to have the body working in sections with some of the bones under code control. similar to the half life system, so upper body movement is to a degree independant of the legs.

I also like the second pic, I think the eyes are OK, it's the mouth with its "I'm almost smiling at you" look that makes the alien too friendly. Even the smaller full body shot head looks meaner due to the angle you see the face from. If we used a mouth that suggested "I've been constipated for a month, and I'm taking it out on you", that design would work well.

What do people think about wearing a body suit versus bare skinned? I prefer the suit, as we can make a smoother model and not have to explain away gonads and the like. We could make them wear the outfit the phone guy in Verizon commercials wears ("can you hear me now? Good!"), certainly he's an alien. :D But the dark suits could have slight variations based on ranks if you wanted, or maybe lapel pins or something like that.

I, personally, think all Greys should be wearing space suits outdoors.

edit: That would give them the constricted mouth, HUGE eyes, HUGE head... and without the space suit they look a little more fleshy and malign or emotive.

Maybe even vulnerable. It would be a great twist for the autopsy. Edited by fux0r666

That's how they reproduced in the original. The alien reproduction research with the cloning vats would be kind of strange if they didn't. What I get from the original CT is that they are much like the borg only they do not assimilate individuals, but genetic code... and so they're combing the cosmos for diverse genotypes to add to their own genetic pool (or various casted genetic pools).

As far as the aquanauts, I'm not sure I understand. I wasn't implying that they have fishbowl helmets or anything.

Yes, I've read in several "visitor" threads that they wore grey suits. What do people think about having theeir skin be a very pale, almost white color? Sort of like cave fish I guess. If they wore grey or silver suits, that would explain why people remember them being grey in color.

By aquanots, I was trying to contrast between the fishbowl suit in TFTD and the plain clothing in UFO. I would prefer no suit, unless the suit was thin and small enough to not be a distraction, if that makes any sense...

IIRC when greys are depicted wearing clothes, it is very much like shiny metal spandex. Hmm, we might not want to overdo the spandex bit though, especially if the mutons (like in deimos' concept) wear spandex.

Greys often wear silvery, skintight suits in the folklore.

This is a great kook site for folklore:

[url="http://www.crowdedskies.com/"]http://www.crowdedskies.com/[/url]

They have an interactive autopsy. It's kind of minimalist and lame but it does have some interesting ideas on the physiology.

• 1 month later...
Well, it's been in development for quite a while off and on, and I think I have a face that looks alien and wise but could still portray a range of emotions (ie. Malice).

The one to the left is an environment suit idea.

Excuse the poor composition and the cut off feet. This was from a page in my notebook and there were other things on it. Edited by Deimos

I kinda like that design, one suggestion would be to maybe not have the neck arch forward so much. Makes him look old and feeble instead of menacing.

Fux, "classic" is the stereotypical grey. Big almond shaped eyes, pale grey skin (Essientially like the xcom 1 sectoid except with grey instead of tan skin.)
A lot of people know what a basic "grey" looks like, we don't want to deviate too much from that.

Well to each their own, but I like your concept fux. It has similarities to the ethereal, which is nice, but still has that grey feel IMO. The bent neck doesn't fit IMO, but the (wide) eye placement looks good to me. Personally the original sectoid from xcom looks like a cute baby alien, not an adult menacing earth.

Everybody, since we have Cubik working on the "classic grey" design, why not have this as well? This is more of an intelligent space explorer look to me, personally I like it. What about a more aquatic looking sectoid as a third concept? The larger fishy eyes, maybe gill slits near the cheeks instead of a mouth? I guess I'm a big Cthuhlu fan at heart, eh?

Very nice concept fux0r, keep up the good work!