XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Farm Terrain

Highyena

So I got distracted from my other tile project to work on a hand drawn replacement for X-Com's farm terrain.

So far I've got brick walls, plank walls, a neat wooden frame stair, more barn-like slanted roofing, wooden things for lofts, well, basically everything to make a barn. Then those bush-walls, the little wooden fence, and a bunch of variations of dirt and grass. I'm roughly halfway through with the tiles.. I'd guess; I'm actually doing what I can remember and what I'd like to see, more than actual replacing.

I figured rather than showing a boring picture of the tileset, this time I'd show something made with them, though my internet is being lame and I just got off work, so I'll add that later.

Anyway, anyone have any suggestions or something they'd like to see in the farm terrain?

I plan to add tiles for a quaint country house, the various fields, maybe some corn or new plants to hide in. A sniper nest grain silo, and maybe a lake or some water thing.

I'll toss in a built screenshot later, it took me twenty minutes just to load the forum.

Edited by Highyena

Been a busy week at work preparing for a certification exam.

Worked on a few things; added small trees and touched up the wheat. Still thrown-together maps.

Also got hay bales, shrub walls, and telephone poles but not happy with them just yet. Oh, and a stone well, which fits in the middle of that rock circle thingie.

post-25465-1284199075_thumb.png

Edited by Highyena

Well, I think I'm out. It's been fun.

Here's my collection of tiles I made for the farm terrain. Go ahead and use them however you like in the bounds of UFO 2k. If you intend to use them anywhere else, send me a message since I'll be curious where they're going.

All that's really needed is a door or two, the shrub bushes, and the stone half-wall.

I have the tile set .lua mostly finished, but it would probably be easier to just start and organize your own. Especially since I'm not likely to be finishing it.

If I get around to it, I'll organize and toss up the other hundred or so mismatched tiles I've done so those can be used as well.

Peace out.

Edit: Oops, that's an older version of the .png, missing about a third more tiles. I'll figure out where the newer one went later.

post-25465-1284534344_thumb.png

Edited by Highyena

is it done?

There are some tiles missing that I need to go through an put into .png form since they're still in layers in my work space file, but otherwise it's done unless someone else wants to pick up where I left off.

There's not really enough interest to warrant finishing.

Edited by Highyena

Playable beta should be tomorrow. I just have to set up a few more maps for variety, and adjust all the line of fire settings.

Close to about 200 tiles, still a lot to add though, mostly objects now.

I see flowers for the 1st time in UFO terrains (do not count jungle huge ones)! :)

Have you made "destroyed" tiles? If no, I suggest to use different tiles for destroyed walls on the 1st floor and above -- to have no hovering debris.

post-7397-1285145571_thumb.png

Edited by Fomka

I see flowers for the 1st time in UFO terrains (do not count jungle huge ones)! :)

Have you made "destroyed" tiles? If no, I suggest to use different tiles for destroyed walls on the 1st floor and above -- to have no hovering debris.

The flowers were fun to make. I want to make more variations, but I have to keep reminding myself to get the necessary stuff done first. :P

Yeah, one step ahead of you there. The second floor walls destroy differently than the first. The first floor walls are actually shaded differently too.

Since UFO2k doesn't have much of a tile limit, fooling around with an idea, I made the brick walls take an extra shot to tear down, with an extra in-between destroyed tile that basically creates a window where some bricks were. Might add some interesting tactical twists, like making a window without ruining your cover, or slow down tunneling scouts. Might end up being annoying, instead. We'll see. :P

You going to help me test it later? ;)

• 3 weeks later...