XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Blown Up Equipment

DendromutantX

When such equipment blows up, I think poisonous (for humans) gas should be released, intoxicating them. Or, if it's a tube liquid should spill all over the place, corroding or even destroying your soldiers' armor. Friogenic gas may also freese your soldiers for certain amount of time.

Also I think there should be open electric curcuits hanging from the sealing or lying on the floor, if you bombed the base or just had some fun with blasters.

• 5 weeks later...
or when power thing blow up, they temporarily turn of the flying and respirator things of power and flying suit, but they go back on after a while, and they turn off tanks for 6 turns :D

I like the idea of stronger bases, so that it would normally require multiple raids or destruction of several supply ships to weaken a base before final assault.

Capt: We had to pull out sir, but we managed to destroy 2 supply storages, cloning lab and UFO hangar.

Commander: Good job son. Now we just shoot down their supply ships and wait for a moment.

Capt: Why on earth?? We have them weakened, we should strike when they are still faltering!

Commander: There are still about 50 sectoids there, but there is no specialized food for them after burning the storages... Wait for a week and number is down to 20. :devillaugh:

By the time you've got an x-33 in the air, you ought to have more than one base with a hangar. Besides, its a landing craft. For landing places. Notable the ground, where it could wait...

If the aliens didn't attack...

If it could find an appropriate spot...

If it wasn't seen by any local hicks...

Edited by Magstar

• 4 months later...
When such equipment blows up, I think poisonous (for humans) gas should be released, intoxicating them. Or, if it's a tube liquid should spill all over the place, corroding or even destroying your soldiers'  armor. Friogenic gas may also freese your soldiers for certain amount of time.

Also I think there should be open electric curcuits hanging from the sealing or lying on the floor, if you bombed the base or just had some fun with blasters.

Yeah, a little more interraction with the environment is always nice... Even if it'S only a light switch :idea:

(or lockable doors, why are there absolutely none around!!)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

What about turrets as well?

Manned as well as automated.

"Sir! The aliens are massing in front of the base entrance!"

"Bring the Minigun turrets online!"

*WHIRRRRRR*

Aliens: "Oh, sh..." </warble>

*BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMMITYBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM*

End mission dialogue:

Ammunition expended: $5000

Aliens Killed: 20

Cleaning Bills for Entrance: $10000

Or, of course, the alien equivalents. Who wouldn't want to face a plasma turret without a few dozen or so grenades?

• 3 weeks later...

I would like bigger alien bases, but I wouldn't want to keep going back to the same one. It would be cool if you could get a read of alien base strength, and it would go down a few % every time you destroy a supply ship. I don't like the idea of base components getting blown up on either side. If you are going to go that far the aliens may as well attack xcorp from orbit. We can do it with todays technology, i thing the aliens could too.

On another note, interactive environments are cool. I love the deformable terrain and environs of the original xcom. To replicate that and do better, adding switches, civilian cars, stoplights, locked doors, sewer systems, power substations or fuse boxes... limitless possiblilities. I would be eternally thankful for just a good xcom remake, but these details would be above and beyond the call of duty, and awesome. I wish I could contribute time and/or money, but alas, I can only annoy you with my posts of encouragement.

The aliens don't attack from orbit because they don't want to. They don't want to kill us, the want us for something else. What do they want? Well, that's been debated. Everything from genetic material to slaves has been brought up. Read some posts in the alien goals/motives subsubforum.

Also attacking fortified, underground bunkers and facilities from the air is a very difficult prospect. Although there are many 'bunker buster' weapons in development, the technology is far from perfected.

Also, being able to destroy base components would allow a couple of new Demolitions grade explosives. Actual demolitions would require several powerful explosives at key spots. That brings up an idea for how it could work, anywhere, but especially bases:

Structural Analyzer - This backpack sized device is used to analyze the current structure and calculate how Demolition Explosives should be shaped. It takes 3 turns once attached to a wall to find relevant spots. In the Demolition View, you would see Orange Reticles on spots where the analyzer can scan next for a more complete scan. Green Reticles indicate spots/(with assumed shaping data) where Demolition Explosives can go. Red Reticles indicate where Explosives are already primed.

Deomlition Explosives - These are about the size of Heavy Explosives(maybe should replace them). Without SA data, they try to disperse their energy away from the surface they are placed on. Otherwise they are primed and shaped the way the SA dictates.

Detonator - Once someone presses the button, the explosives will hit their sequence after the timer goes off.

Now Aliens and you would raid each others base. Imagine if you could also get at stockpiles of Alien weapons during raids. Steal replacement hover-drives for HWP, Plasma Cannons, Plasma Weapons, Xenium. They would just blow up your supplies, except maybe for genetic samples from labs.

• 8 months later...
End mission dialogue:

Ammunition expended: $5000

Aliens Killed: 20

Cleaning Bills for Entrance: $10000

You know, if it really did add a few dollars at the end for cleaning bills, I'd laugh my donkey off. It could be something negligible, like $5 per splattered corpse, just for humor purposes.

• 2 weeks later...

i do like the concept for weakening alien bases via destroying supply ships, the distruction of supply convoys has been a vital part of destablising an establashed stronghold since the crusades tho one factor comes to mind on the basis of weakening alien bases through supply destruction,

a) if the supplys are low then less for base raids

("wot you mean they got only 6 alien nades here and their commanders allready legged it???"SGT,

Rookie "well sir we have been destroying all their supply ships this past year, shame we just found their base")

also lesser point, if the base was that badly off

(messed up supply wise and raided twice for example)

does it not make sence for the surviving aliens to attempt to relocate and or transfer to anouther (alien) base LOL its cheaper to cut and run (or rig the base to blow the next x-com raid up....)

any use?