XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Xenomorph Holding Facility

I know it was on purpose, but I just can't see the reason why. :huh?: Sort of like "Titan missile" instead of "Tytan missile" or "Olympus" instead of "Olimpus". If I was reading something and saw the misspelled versions, I'd question the intellect of the originator. Edited by Astyanax

Guest Azrael
I don't see what the big problem is, it is making reference to a famous prison. Saying tytan insted of titan is also possible, but nicknames containing mythological creatures or such are references to a special quality of the mythological character. Anyhow, I can't seem to explain myself... just keep the name... it's a nickname... don't make me slap you... ok, just once *slap* :D

Cool. Thanks, Az.

About the AWD model in the baseview assets thread (pretty much the whole page), Vaaish said:

the current setup for alien containment that I posted has room for 7 aliens in cryo and 2 in observation. I think it can stretch to 10 if needed...

This is because of poly-count limitations from what I can tell. Anyway, this is going to minorly affect the facility's description in paragraph 3. Personally, after looking at the AWD model, I think a few more sentences of description referencing it in paragraph 3 would be nice. Very little in the existing text describes the Xenomorph Holding Facility's layout- more would be great, imho.

Sooo.... does anyone have a craving for a little creative writing? ;)

Edited by Astyanax

• 2 months later...

tweaked a few more things, mostly based on the suggestions. some are new, though:

1) not all of the aliens do have a different physiology - some are remarkably similar

2) the environmental system should be able to make the alien comfortable, for studying purposes. if it can only hold be set to "stunned" or "dead", it isn't a very clever environmental system :D

3) the text so far sounded as if it might be possible to open the cells from the inside...

4) in order to avoid two problems, one being the inconsistency with the model and the other the explanation for why in XCom1, you can have an unlimited number of live aliens in holding, I added a sentence. what do you think about it?

(I know that this is not exactly "proofreading" in a literal sense of the word, but I guess a little consistency check is part of the job, right?)

XENOMORPH HOLDING FACILITY

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Base/Facilities/Xenomorph Holding Facility

Initial observations of Alien creatures conducted by military operatives point to the fact that these beings possess highly divergent physiologies amongst themselves, some drastically different from ours. Standard brigs were particularly inadequate for sustaining extraterrestrial life, and it quickly became apparent that we needed a new kind of prison; one that could effectively contain and maintain a variety of life forms indefinitely. To this end, the first of the "Alcatraz" series of containment facilities was constructed. The MK III "Alcatraz" Xenomorph Holding Facility has been designed to improve upon previous designs that failed to provide proper atmospheric conditions or effective containment for certain Alien species.

Each "Alcatraz" chamber is surrounded by 0.5m thick concrete walls that can withstand several tons of force and are additionally equipped with electromagnetic barrier systems that severely disrupt any form of known perception. The cutting-edge environmental controls can accommodate a wide range of atmospheric factors. Although the environment is generally adjusted to keep the specimen in a sedated condition, it can be easily modified to conditions either comfortable to the alien or, for security reasons, lethal. The facility also featuresadvanced automated security and surveillance measures that monitor the specimen within and have very sensitive warning thresholds that are triggered automatically over any sudden change in status.  The airlock-style doors are made from heat- and force-resistant materials and will only open from the outside, with the correct combination of codes and keycards. Three unauthorized tries for access or a breach in the chamber walls result in the instant termination of the contained specimen and activation of base alarms. Finally, the cell is equipped with a small backup generator system to power the security systems.

The standard-issue Xenomorph Holding Facility includes five "Alcatraz" chambers as well as a surveillance room. If necessary, additional chambers can be installed in a matter of hours, thanks to a modular setup. We feel confident that the Aliens we capture in the field will stay securely within our care.

"What happened to the two previous designs? Well, after four or five Aliens had slowly suffocated in their cells we started to get the hint. We scrapped the MK I, studied some Alien physiology and installed some pretty smart environmental manipulators, to make them feel at home and all...

Well, it proved a bit too comfortable it seems. The Research Department at the Roswell base was totally wrecked when their captive woke up and I personally saw two guards commit suicide in front of my eyes before I caught on. The bastard was still grinning when I blew his brains out.

Obviously the MK II needed some heavy security adjustments...and a new paint job, that’s when I came here." - Yohan Jarlsdottir, former Director of Security and Xenomorph Holding of Roswell base.

Edited by Moriarty

• 3 weeks later...
tweaked a few more things, mostly based on the suggestions. some are new, though:

1) not all of the aliens do have a different physiology - some are remarkably similar

2) the environmental system should be able to make the alien comfortable, for studying purposes. if it can only hold be set to "stunned" or "dead", it isn't a very clever environmental system :D

3) the text so far sounded as if it might be possible to open the cells from the inside...

Good points, especially #2... ^_^

4) in order to avoid two problems, one being the inconsistency with the model and the other the explanation for why in XCom1, you can have an unlimited number of live aliens in holding, I added a sentence. what do you think about it?
I don't know about this. It's a good idea, but I'm not sure whether this is going to be "fixed" in Xenocide. Az, do you know?

(I know that this is not exactly "proofreading" in a literal sense of the word, but I guess a little consistency check is part of the job, right?)
YES! Consistency checking is always a good thing. :)

I have a few suggestions for the text- mostly cosmetic- but some help clarify things further. I've included most of Moriarty's changes, so green text will denote my suggestions and strikethrough for deletions. Moriarty's part addressing the unlimited number of live aliens in holding is left in purple text- it's pending Az's judgment- and the number of cells is also highlighted depending on how many there end up being. As usual, these are my suggestions and not final revisions. Please comment on them, I'm begging you! :P

Initial observations of Alien creatures conducted by military operatives point to the fact that these beings possess highly divergent physiologies amongst themselves, some drastically different from ours. Standard brigs were particularly inadequate for sustaining and containing extraterrestrial life, and it quickly became apparent that we needed a new kind of prison; one that could effectively contain and maintain a variety of life forms indefinitely. To this end, the first of the "Alcatraz" series of containment facilities was constructed. The MK III "Alcatraz" Xenomorph Holding Facility has been designed to improve upon previous designs that failed to provide proper atmospheric conditions or effective containment for certain Alien species.

Each "Alcatraz" chamber is surrounded by encased within 0.5 m thick meters of reinforced concrete walls that can withstand capable of withstanding several tons of force. Additionally, it is and are additionally equipped with electromagnetic barrier systems that severely disrupt any form of known perception, as well as. The cutting-edge environmental controls that can accommodate a wide range of atmospheric factors. Although the environmental settings are is generally adjusted to keep the specimen in a sedated condition, it they can be easily modified to become conditions either comfortable to for the alien (for observational purposes), or, for security reasons, lethal. The facility also features advanced automated security and surveillance measures that monitor the specimen within and possess highly have very sensitive warning thresholds that are triggered automatically whenever there is a over any sudden change in the occupant's status.  The Airlock-style doors are made from heat- and force-resistant materials and can only be opened will only open from the outside, exterior with the correct combination of codes and keycards. Three unauthorized tries for access or a incorrect access attempts or a breach in the chamber walls will result in the instant termination of the contained specimen and activation of base alarms. Lastly Finally, the cell is equipped with a small backup generator system to power the security systems.

The standard-issue Xenomorph Holding Facility includes five "Alcatraz" chambers as well as a surveillance room. If necessary, additional chambers can be installed in a matter of hours, thanks to a modular setup. We feel confident that the Aliens we capture in the field will stay securely within our care.

"What happened to the two previous designs? Well, after four or five Aliens had slowly suffocated in their cells we started to get the hint. We scrapped the MK I, studied some Alien physiology, and installed some pretty smart environmental manipulators, to make them feel at home and all...

Well, it proved a bit too comfortable, it seems. The Research Department at the Roswell base was totally wrecked when their captive woke up and I personally saw two guards commit suicide in front of my eyes before I caught on. The bastard was still grinning when I blew his brains out.

Obviously the MK II needed some heavy security adjustments...and a new paint job, that’s when I came here." - Yohan Jarlsdottir, former Director of Security and Xenomorph Holding of Roswell base.

Edited by Astyanax

• 1 year later...

Well, this has been in stock for quite some time now... Lemme check...

Initial observations of Alien creatures conducted by military operatives point to the fact that these beings possess highly divergent physiologies amongst themselves, some drastically different from ours. Standard brigs were proved to be? particularly inadequate for sustaining and containing extraterrestrial life, and it quickly became apparent that we needed a new kind of prison; one that could effectively contain and maintain a variety of life forms indefinitely. To this end, the first of the "Alcatraz" series of containment facilities was constructed. The MK III "Alcatraz" Xenomorph Holding Facility has been designed to improve upon previous designs that failed to provide proper atmospheric conditions or effective containment for certain Alien species.

Each "Alcatraz" chamber is encased within 0.5 meters of reinforced concrete capable of withstanding several tons of force. Additionally, it is equipped with electromagnetic barrier systems that severely disrupt any form of known perception, as well as cutting-edge environmental controls that can accommodate provide? a wide range of atmospheric factors. Although the environmental settings are generally adjusted to keep the specimen in a sedated condition, they can be easily be modified to become comfortable for the alien (for observational purposes), or, for security reasons, lethal for the subject in holding. The facility also features advanced automated security and surveillance measures that monitor the specimen within and possesses highly sensitive warning thresholds that are triggered automatically whenever there is a sudden change in the occupant's status. Airlock-style doors made from heat- and force-resistant materials and can only be opened from the exterior with the correct combination of codes and keycards. Three incorrect access attempts or a breach in the chamber walls will result in the instant termination of the contained specimen and activation of base alarms. Lastly, the cell facility is equipped with a small backup generator system to power the security systems.

"What happened to the two previous designs? Well, after four or five Aliens had slowly suffocated in their cells we started to get the hint. We scrapped the MK I, studied some Alien physiology, and installed some pretty smart environmental manipulators, to make them feel at home and all...

Well, it proved a bit too comfortable, it seems. The Research Department at the Roswell base was totally wrecked when their captive woke up and I personally saw two guards commit suicide in front of my eyes before I caught on. The bastard was still grinning when I blew his brains out.