XCOMUFO & Xenocide

What About Linux

I love UFO2000 but i cant play any more because i use a MAC now, and i don't wanna install Windows just for this game :P

Is there any working Linux or MACOS version? Is it complicated to adapt the code? Is there a reason for not having a Linux version?

I'm not a coder so can't imagine what it takes to make it work on linux.... Can you please helping me understand?

meodi,

According to the website, UFO 2000 works on both Linux and MacOS. From their front page:

UFO2000 is written in portable C++ and is known to compile and run on Linux, FreeBSD and Windows. Latest versions of UFO2000 can work on various architectures such as 64-bit Linux (AMD64), MacOS X (PowerPC) and Linux powered handhelds (ARM)

--http://ufo2000.sourceforge.net/index.php

Mac OS, is based off of BSD, which, like linux, is a unix clone, so generally speaking (There are exceptions and such.) the code should be easily ported over if not compatible between the two.

So, I would say that yes, it should be able to work on Mac OS. I would check out the UFO 2000 website to make sure.

Antiparadigm

Here are the compiling instructions for MacOs X (Apparently... Because I know nothing about compilation on a Mac)

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=242027838

Edited by nachtwolf

• 9 months later...

Just tested ufo2000 on ppc64 linux (playstation3). It compiles, but has some problems:

- weird colors - looks like blue and red components are swapped

- it can't connect to the server

I'll try to fix these issues. Hopefully we can solve most of compatibility issues with different platforms and fix things that got rusty over all this time :)

On the other hand now I don't have any PC or laptop running windows to compile and test game on it. So I'm not the best person to make binary releases at the moment.

• 1 month later...