XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Satchel Charge

fluff:

"Hmm, another millitary truck full of satchels driving away to an unknown location... Must be another government conspiracy going on. I wish that they'd let us in on it, just one of them." -CIA agent

? Edited by mikker

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='kafros' date='Mar 16 2005, 05:31 PM']Hey dan, would you like to complete this CT, or should I have the pleasure to do so? ^_^

Edit: I guess I should go on... Much better :P
[right][post="114341"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Huh? No, it's your child, you want me to pay the alimony? No way!

On the serious side, it's your text, I just tried to make it sound different. If it's useful to you, you tell me :) Edited by dan2

[quote name='kafros' date='Mar 18 2005, 10:49 AM']Any more comments before re-writting?! ^_^
[right][post="114577"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Since you plan to rewrite it, wouldn't be better if we comment after your rewrite? :Coffee:

Chemical markers are -also- given off whilst the explosive is still intact - most explosives detectors track the explosives by their chemical markers/scents.

"Oh, and one more thing, kids. If you stand to close to a primed one of these babies, there won't be enough of you left for a bodybag, let alone a shoebox." - Anonymous, X-Corps Retired Explosives Instructor.

[quote name='kafros' date='Mar 18 2005, 02:23 PM']You (sh)could make some comments so that I can make a better re-write and add needed information :wink1: :)
[right][post="114595"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
I'm not sure how much you want to change.
It is going to be very different from post #35?
Sorry, I must be tired, but I don't see what's wrong with your text, why must be re-written? Astyanax did some changes, others suggested things, but the core is fine. That's why I said I'll comment after you post the text.
I must be too tired, I didn't sleep well last night :zzzzz:

[quote name='Exo2000' date='Mar 19 2005, 02:35 AM']Chemical markers are -also- given off whilst the explosive is still intact - most explosives detectors track the explosives by their chemical markers/scents.

"Oh, and one more thing, kids. If you stand to close to a primed one of these babies, there won't be enough of you left for a bodybag, let alone a shoebox." - Anonymous,  X-Corps Retired Explosives Instructor.
[right][post="114596"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Err... Haven't you got it backwards? Shouldn't it be:
[quote]"Oh, and one more thing, kids. If you stand to close to a primed one of these babies, there won't be enough of you left for a shoebox, let alone a bodybag." - Anonymous,  X-Corps Retired Explosives Instructor.[/quote]

Reading the #36 post, I think the satchel-charge itself need a short description, how heavy it is, how much explosive is it in, what will be it's intended use in this game (demolition, heavy armor targets?), even how it might look like...right after the plastic explosives part.
The damage is just from explosion or its shell is going to shatter into deadly shrapnels?
In our pre-alien life, such satchel will be able to make how much damage to normal materials? Are X-Corps impressed by it?

"Phew!!!! Would you mind if I open up a window here?" said corporal Brown placing a satchel-charge on the wall of an UFO Edited by dan2

[quote name='dan2' date='Mar 19 2005, 07:36 AM']Reading the #36 post, I think the satchel-charge itself need a short description, how heavy it is, how much explosive is it in, what will be it's intended use in this game (demolition, heavy armor targets?), even how it might look like...right after the plastic explosives part.[/quote]
It's like a "wide" C4, it's heavier than a laptop but lighter than your PC :P. About it's use:[quote]...variety of uses since their creation in the 20th century, mainly in constructions and the military.[/quote]
Well, some more information won't hurt, definitely ^_^

[quote]The damage is just from explosion or its shell is going to shatter into deadly shrapnels?
In our pre-alien life, such satchel will be able to make how much damage to normal materials? Are X-Corps impressed by it?[/quote]
Well, I guess it's more powerful than grenades (both human and alien ones). It doesn't really have a hard shell, so it's just the explosion

[quote]"Phew!!!! Would you mind if I open up a window here?" said corporal Brown placing a satchel-charge on the wall of an UFO
[right][post="114676"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Hmmm... :hmmm:

[quote name='kafros' date='Mar 19 2005, 02:10 AM'][quote]"Phew!!!! Would you mind if I open up a window here?" said corporal Brown placing a satchel-charge on the wall of an UFO
[right][post="114676"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Hmmm... :hmmm:
[right][post="114680"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]
I'm not sure, did you like the joke or it stinks?
Anyway, I hope it will help you rewrite the satchel-charge text.
I'll try to think of something else, but it will be easier once you have a newer version ready :) Edited by dan2

[quote name='kafros' date='Mar 19 2005, 04:56 AM']Of course pal, thanks =b
[right][post="114687"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
I still have no idea if you liked the joke. I was thinking about the atmosphere inside the UFO to be barily breathable, and the satchel-charge powerful enough to open up holes in the hull. A rookie would try something as dumb as this, I think :P

P.S. It would be even funnier if the corporal would choose to place the charge right near a power source :D That would make a large window, all right Edited by dan2

[quote name='tzuchan' date='Mar 19 2005, 02:29 AM'][quote name='Exo2000' date='Mar 19 2005, 02:35 AM']Chemical markers are -also- given off whilst the explosive is still intact - most explosives detectors track the explosives by their chemical markers/scents.

"Oh, and one more thing, kids. If you stand to close to a primed one of these babies, there won't be enough of you left for a bodybag, let alone a shoebox." - Anonymous,  X-Corps Retired Explosives Instructor.
[quote]"Oh, and one more thing, kids. If you stand to close to a primed one of these babies, there won't be enough of you left for a shoebox, let alone a bodybag." - Anonymous,  X-Corps Retired Explosives Instructor.[/quote]
[right][post="114654"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]

Probably want it the second way around anyway, so people who don't understand the intricacies of grammar can understand it. :P

Guest Azrael
[quote name='Exo2000' date='Mar 22 2005, 01:49 PM'][quote name='tzuchan' date='Mar 19 2005, 02:29 AM'][quote name='Exo2000' date='Mar 19 2005, 02:35 AM']Chemical markers are -also- given off whilst the explosive is still intact - most explosives detectors track the explosives by their chemical markers/scents.

[right][post="114654"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]

Probably want it the second way around anyway, so people who don't understand the intricacies of grammar can understand it. :P
[right][post="114990"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]

:huh:

• 3 weeks later...
Azrael, I think your grenade fluff idea could work here as well:

[quote]"Satchel Charge ["big bang"]; noun; Device capable of clearing a target area of unwanted presences. Note: may clear target area of wanted presences as well."
-Soldier's Dictionary[/quote]

• 2 weeks later...
SATCHEL CHARGE
X-Net://Pegasus.net/Equipment/Satchel Charge

Plastic explosives have had a variety of uses since their creation in the 20th century, mainly in constructions and the military. They are easy to use and transport, they are fairly safe as they don't explode without primed detonation by the user, can be molded into various shapes, and are a favorite of our special forces.

A Satchel Charge is quite similar to common C4s, although much more powerful. It is a multi-purpose demolition device weighting around 4 kilograms. Four wide bars of a special plastic explosive are hold together by a layer of a heat-resistant alloy. A digital screen is implementent on the front part, which executes two specific operations: It gets input from the user, either an activation or a deactivation code, and when activated outputs the countdown timer. Once primed, the time can be set as desired.

The plastic explosive used is the new Blend & White Plastic®, a highly refined version of RDX-rich Torpex and a binder which gives it a malleable consistency, resembling modeling clay or cement. RDX is the commecrial name of cyclotrimethylenetrinitramine, also known as cyclonite, or hexogen. In its pure synthesized state, it is a white crystalline solid. As an explosive, it is usually used in mixtures with other explosives such as as TNT, plasticizers and/or desensitizers (Torpex is a common mixture, containing 42% TNT ,40% RDX and 18% aluminium).

The Satchel Charge is stable in storage and is considered the most powerful and brisant military-grade high explosive. The manufacturing process patented by Blend and White makes it possible to produce the compound without any danger of the powerful explosive components detonating. This explosive is quite stable at high temperatures and is almost impervious to flame, burning very slowly for such a powerful compound. These qualities make Blend and White the most fitting plastic explosive for battlefield use.

A touch screen allows for quick programming of the Satchel Charge. Once set, the device cannot be defused or reprogrammed without entering a deactivation code; each operative has been trained in the use of this device to prevent accidental detonations. A minimal operating distance should always be maintained, and seeking cover during detonation is highly advised. With careful tactical use, the Satchel Charge can be a effective tool in combat situations.

"Satchel Charge ["big bang"]; noun; Device capable of clearing a target area of unwanted presences. Note: may clear target area of wanted presences as well."
-Soldier's Dictionary

I really can't think of anything else to add to the text; it covers everything that needs to be covered for the Satchel Charge, imho. =b

Well... maybe there's one thing to comment on. In the fluff, doesn't it sound odd to have soldiers calling the satchel charge "big boom"? It might just be me, though.

[i]Edit- oops, it was "big bang"... I still feel the same way about it, though. ^_^[/i] Edited by Astyanax

hmmm.... big boom.... well, it should be something like "hand me that -----" thing, so i think 'big boomer' sound a bit better ¨

"hand me that big boom"

"hand me that big boomer"

With kafros's permission, this is a no-holds-barred reading of the text, though most of the changes involve rephrasing or reorganization...

The first version has been cleaned up for readability; the Astyanaxized version is 2nd so you can track where changes were made. The usual caveat: don't feel obligated to accept the changes-- they are just my suggestions. I hope they help, kafros. :)

-Asty
p.s. Was it possible to deactivate/reset the timers of high explosives/grenades in the original X-Com?

[quote name='Readable Version']SATCHEL CHARGE

Plastic explosives have been applied to a variety of uses since their invention in the early-20th century, mainly in construction and the military. They are a favorite of special forces because of their stability, moldability, and their ease of transport.

The Satchel Charge has many similarities with the much more common C4 explosive, although it is much more powerful. The four-kilogram Satchel Charge consists of four wide bars of a special plastic explosive held together by a layer of heat-resistant alloy. The front-mounted digital touch screen receives user input and displays the countdown timer.  Entering the activation code primes the explosive and prompts the user to set the countdown timer.  Once activated, however, the only way to defuse or reset the Satchel Charge is through the successful input of the deactivation code.

The plastic explosive used in the Satchel Charge is the new Blend & White Plastic®: a highly refined mixture of RDX-rich Torpex and a binder that greatly enhances its malleable consistency, such that it resembles modeling clay or cement. The explosive known as RDX is the commercial name of cyclotrimethylenetrinitramine, also known as cyclonite or hexogen, which is a white crystalline solid in its pure synthesized state. It is often mixed with other explosives (such as TNT), plasticizers, and/or desensitizers. Torpex is a common mixture which contains 42% TNT, 40% RDX, and 18% aluminum.

The Satchel Charge is stable in storage and is considered the most powerful and brisant military-grade high explosive. The revolutionary manufacturing process patented by Blend and White eliminates the risk of premature detonations and results in an explosive that is quite stable at high temperatures and almost impervious to flame. These qualities make Blend and White the most logical plastic explosive for battlefield use.

Our operatives have been thoroughly trained in the use of this device to prevent accidental detonations. A minimal operating distance should always be maintained, and seeking cover during detonation is highly advised. With careful tactical use, the Satchel Charge can be a effective tool in combat situations.

"Satchel Charge ["big bang"]; noun; Device capable of clearing a target area of unwanted presences. Note: may clear target area of wanted presences as well."
[quote name='Astyanaxized Version']SATCHEL CHARGE

Plastic explosives have [color="orange"]had[/color] [color="red"]been applied to[/color] a variety of uses since their [color="orange"]creation[/color] [color="red"]invention[/color] in the [color="red"]early-[/color]20th century, mainly in construction[color="orange"]s[/color] and the military. They are [color="red"]a favorite of special forces because of their stability, moldability, and their ease of transport[/color] [color="orange"]easy to use and transport, they are fairly safe as they don't explode without primed detonation by the user, can be molded into various shapes, and are a favorite of our special forces[/color].

[color="orange"]A[/color] [color="red"]The[/color] Satchel Charge [color="orange"]is quite similar to[/color] [color="red"]has many similarities with the much more[/color] common C4[color="orange"]s[/color] [color="red"]explosive[/color], although [color="red"]it is[/color] much more powerful. [color="red"]The four-kilogram Satchel Charge consists of four wide bars of a special plastic explosive held together by a layer of heat-resistant alloy.[/color] [color="orange"]It is a multi-purpose demolition device weighting around 4 kilograms. Four wide bars of a special plastic explosive are hold together by a layer of a heat-resistant alloy.[/color] [color="orange"]A[/color] [color="red"]The front-mounted[/color] digital [color="red"]touch[/color] screen [color="red"]receives user input and displays the countdown timer.  Entering the activation code primes the explosive and prompts the user to set the countdown timer.  Once activated, however, the only way to defuse or reset the Satchel Charge is through the successful input of the deactivation code.[/color] [color="orange"]is implementent on the front part, which executes two specific operations: It gets input from the user, either an activation or a deactivation code, and when activated outputs the countdown timer. Once primed, the time can be set as desired.[/color]

The plastic explosive used [color="red"]in the Satchel Charge[/color] is the new Blend & White Plastic®[color="red"]:[/color][color="orange"],[/color] a highly refined [color="red"]mixture[/color] [color="orange"]version[/color] of RDX-rich Torpex and a binder [color="orange"]which[/color] [color="red"]that greatly enhances its[/color] [color="orange"]gives it a[/color] malleable consistency, [color="red"]such that it resembles[/color] [color="orange"]resembling[/color] modeling clay or cement. [color="red"]The explosive known as[/color] RDX is the [color="red"]commercial[/color] name of cyclotrimethylenetrinitramine, also known as cyclonite[color="orange"],[/color] or hexogen[color="red"], which is a white crystalline solid in its pure synthesized state[/color]. [color="orange"]In its pure synthesized state, it is a white crystalline solid. As an explosive,[/color] [color="red"]I[/color]t is [color="red"]often mixed[/color] [color="orange"]usually used in mixtures[/color] with other explosives[color="red"], ([/color]such as [color="orange"]as[/color] TNT[color="red"])[/color], plasticizers[color="red"],[/color] and/or desensitizers[color="red"].[/color] Torpex is a common mixture[color="orange"], containing[/color] [color="red"]which contains[/color] 42% TNT, 40% RDX[color="red"],[/color] and 18% alumin[color="orange"]i[/color]um[color="orange"])[/color].

The Satchel Charge is stable in storage and is considered the most powerful and brisant military-grade high explosive. The [color="red"]revolutionary[/color] manufacturing process patented by Blend and White [color="red"]eliminates the risk of premature detonations and results in an explosive that is quite stable at high temperatures and almost impervious to flame.[/color] [color="orange"]makes it possible to produce the compound without any danger of the powerful explosive components detonating. This explosive is quite stable at high temperatures and is almost impervious to flame, burning very slowly for such a powerful compound.[/color] These qualities make Blend and White the most [color="red"]logical[/color] [color="orange"]fitting[/color] plastic explosive for battlefield use.

[color="orange"]A touch screen allows for quick programming of the Satchel Charge. Once set, the device cannot be defused or reprogrammed without entering a deactivation code; each[/color] [color="red"]Our[/color] operative[color="red"]s have been thoroughly[/color] [color="orange"]has been[/color] trained in the use of this device to prevent accidental detonations. A minimal operating distance should always be maintained, and seeking cover during detonation is highly advised. With careful tactical use, the Satchel Charge can be a effective tool in combat situations.

-Soldier's Dictionary[/quote] Edited by Astyanax

I don't think it was, Asty. Unlike in UFO2000, grenades, etc. would explode even if in your hand.

Extra fluff;

[i]"Just be careful what you do with this thing... if you aren't careful... well, let's just say you won't be going home in a body bag... you'll be going home in a [b]shoebox[/b]... or maybe... one of those little bags you put spare change in before you take it down to the bank."[/i] - Anon. Retired X-Corps Explosives Instructor

Interesting... Thanks for the clarification, Exo2000.

We'll see what kafros thinks of my close reading, the lack of deactivation, and your new fluff after he gets back from his 3-day joyride. :P

Though for a fluff, I was kind of thinking, [i]"Stand too close to one of these babies, and there won't be enough of you to fit in a shoebox, much less a bodybag... or was it the other way around? Oh well, in any case, just be very careful around these babies!"[/i] ^_^ Edited by Astyanax

I think this time you were too proofreading-happy :P

I like most changes, but others were put without special reason IMHO. No offense pal! I like that new text, and I will include most stuff :)

Now, let's get to work, I gotta post anothet version! =b

I apologize, kafros, but you should really be careful when you say, "do whatever change you want, even add/remove ideas." When I saw that, I got a little wild. It's been so long since I've been able to [i]really[/i] go through a text. ^_^

Most changes were from rewording, but the "touch screen" sentence in paragraph 5 was modified and moved to paragraph 2. Other changes were embellishments on my part. :P

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next draft! (to comment on, not proofread :) )

Guest Azrael
[quote name='Astyanax' date='Apr 26 2005, 10:20 PM']I apologize, kafros, but you should really be careful when you say, "do whatever change you want, even add/remove ideas." When I saw that, I got a little wild.  It's been so long since I've been able to [i]really[/i] go through a text. ^_^

Most changes were from rewording, but the "touch screen" sentence in paragraph 5 was modified and moved to paragraph 2.  Other changes were embellishments on my part. :P

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next draft! (to comment on, not proofread :) )
[right][post="118200"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Is that a request for more work? :sly:

Az: More work? :D[quote name='Oliver Twist']Please, sir, can I have some more?[/quote]
kafros: Complete change? Hrm... maybe we're interpreting things differently... Imho, a complete change is when someone completely scraps the text and starts a new one-- without preserving the structure or ideas of the original. And I wouldn't dare do that! But I do tend to make [i]drastic[/i] changes, but the ideas and structure are mostly preserved. Primarily, changing [i]how[/i] the ideas are presented is what I usually do, at least from my point of view.

In any case, I'm glad you're not offended, kafros. :) The entire CTD awaits your next draft. :P

complete, drastic... It seems that I don't pay enough attention to English words :P :D
Actually, that's what I had in mind :)

And, not only I am not offended, but I am also honoured by your urge to improve my work :D. We are a team anyway, right? :wink1:

And don't worry, the next draft in on the way :) Edited by kafros

• 2 months later...
I've worked on Asty's "readable" version, and changes are marked in bold. Just to help you check the right parts between the drafts.

p.s. Damn, my previous draft reminds me of my writting in 8th grade... Yikes >_<.
Use of supersets, "pretentious" vocabulary (:D), organisation of ideas in a virtual time-frame etc etc... Gotta be careful :)

SATCHEL CHARGE

Plastic explosives have been applied to a variety of uses since their invention in the early-20th century, mainly in construction and [b]military operations[/b]. They are a favorite of special forces because of their stability, moldability, and their ease of transport [b]and storage[/b].

The Satchel Charge has many similarities with the much more common C4 explosive, [b]but it is much more powerful and sophisticated[/b]. The four-kilogram Satchel Charge consists of four wide bars of a special plastic explosive held together by a layer of heat-resistant alloy. The front-mounted digital touch screen receives user input and displays the countdown timer.

The plastic explosive used in the device is the new Blend & White Plastic®, a highly refined mixture of RDX-rich Torpex and a binder that greatly enhances its malleable consistency, such that it resembles modeling clay or cement. The explosive known as RDX is the commercial name of cyclotrimethylenetrinitramine, also known as cyclonite or hexogen, which is a white crystalline solid in its pure synthesized state. It is often mixed with other explosives (such as TNT), plasticizers, and/or desensitizers. Torpex is a common mixture which contains 42% TNT, 40% [b]RDX and 18% aluminium.
[/b]
The Satchel Charge is stable in storage and is considered the most powerful and brisant military-grade high explosive. The revolutionary manufacturing process patented by Blend and White eliminates the risk of premature detonations and results in an explosive that is quite stable at high temperatures and almost impervious to flame. These qualities make Blend and White the [b]best[/b] plastic explosive for battlefield use.

Entering the activation code primes the explosive and prompts the user to set the countdown timer. Once activated, however, the only way to defuse or reset the Satchel Charge is through the successful input of the deactivation code. Our operatives have been thoroughly trained in the use of this device to prevent accidental detonations. A minimal operating distance should always be maintained, and seeking cover during detonation is highly advised. With careful tactical use, the Satchel Charge can be a effective tool in combat situations.

-Soldier's Dictionary

1) Commas aren't used before "and"s, that's what I know at least
2) Aluminium is a variant of aluminum. In greek, it is called Αλουμ[b]ί[/b]νιο, aloumin[b]i[/b]o (in greeklish), alumin[b]i[/b]um
3) As you can see, part of the second paragraph has been put in the end
4) I can't think of any features of the Satchel Charge...
5) Actually, CAN you deprogram it, or should we leave that to the programmers to decide? :)

Edit: Grenades and explosives wouldn't explode in your hand if you primed them, even if you set them to 0. But, if you primed them and you soldier was killed, then you would see some "fireworks" ;) Edited by kafros

[quote]Plastic explosives have been applied to a variety of uses since their invention in the early-20th century, mainly in construction and military operations.[/quote]
what about "construction, demolition and military operations" ?

[quote]The Satchel Charge has many similarities with the much more common C4 explosive, but it is much more powerful and sophisticated.[/quote]
comparison between "satchel charge" and "C4"? shouldn't you compare "RDX" and "C4", or alternatively "satchel charge" and "commonly used demolition charges" ?

[quote]The plastic explosive used in the device is the new Blend & White Plastic®, a highly refined mixture of RDX-rich Torpex and a binder that greatly enhances its malleable consistency, such that it resembles modeling clay or cement. The explosive known as RDX is the commercial name of cyclotrimethylenetrinitramine, also known as cyclonite or hexogen, which is a white crystalline solid in its pure synthesized state. It is often mixed with other explosives (such as TNT), plasticizers, and/or desensitizers. Torpex is a common mixture which contains 42% TNT, 40% RDX and 18% aluminium.[/quote]
that paragraph sounds awkward to me... perhaps simplify it a bit? and RDX should be explained at least once ("RDX"="rapid detonating explosive")

[quote]With careful tactical use, the Satchel Charge can be a effective tool in combat situations.[/quote]

a[b]n[/b] effective tool

..the defusing stuff should be in there... in xcom, no grenade or high explosive will ever detonate in your hand. not even after it has been thrown and picked up again before the timer went out.

(...and aluminum is the english way of spelling aluminium. there's unfortunately no way around that... they just call it aluminum.) Edited by Moriarty

Most changes are for proofreaders, so the only part I will add is the meaning of RDX.
Actually, I've also said that primed nades don't explode in your hands in xcom1, but I dunno if that will also be permitted in Xenocide. Actually, it shouldn't...

[quote]SATCHEL CHARGE

Plastic explosives have been applied to a variety of uses since their invention in the early-20th century, mainly in construction and military operations. They are a favorite of special forces because of their stability, moldability, and their ease of transport and storage.

The Satchel Charge has many similarities with the much more common C4 explosive, but it is much more powerful and sophisticated. The four-kilogram Satchel Charge consists of four wide bars of a special plastic explosive held together by a layer of heat-resistant alloy. The front-mounted digital touch screen receives user input and displays the countdown timer.

The plastic explosive used in the device is the new Blend & White Plastic®, a highly refined mixture of RDX-rich Torpex and a binder that greatly enhances its malleable consistency, such that it resembles modeling clay or cement. The explosive known as RD-X (Rapid Detonation) is the commercial name of cyclotrimethylenetrinitramine, also known as cyclonite or hexogen, which is a white crystalline solid in its pure synthesized state. It is often mixed with other explosives (such as TNT), plasticizers, and/or desensitizers. Torpex is a common mixture which contains 42% TNT, 40% RDX and 18% aluminum.

The Satchel Charge is stable in storage and is considered the most powerful and brisant military-grade high explosive. The revolutionary manufacturing process patented by Blend and White eliminates the risk of premature detonations and results in an explosive that is quite stable at high temperatures and almost impervious to flame. These qualities make Blend and White the best plastic explosive for battlefield use.

Entering the activation code primes the explosive and prompts the user to set the countdown timer. Once activated, however, the only way to defuse or reset the Satchel Charge is through the successful input of the deactivation code. Our operatives have been thoroughly trained in the use of this device to prevent accidental detonations. A minimal operating distance should always be maintained, and seeking cover during detonation is highly advised. With careful tactical use, the Satchel Charge can be a effective tool in combat situations.

Actually, there are many RDs. RD1, RD2... But, for that specific one, they haven't decided a name, so they called it X, so here it comes: RDX. Visit the wikipedia site and you will see the whole story :) (in a post above)

And usually demolition is a part of construction :). Actually, how would you use explosives in order to... build? ;)

I've picked the C4 because it's the most common and popular plastic explosive, it is rather small, with a screen, and it's rather powerful. Some others look like chewing gum... ^^

afaik xenocide v1 is supposed to be EXACTLY like xcom. including grenades not exploding in your hands, when in fact they should. :)

RDX: oh, okay. sorry, I thought the "X" was for "eXplosive"

I know that demolition can be a part of construction, but since from the precise meaning they are opposites, I think it should be mentioned. people might get confused when they hear about the use of explosives in construction without any explanation.

about the C4 thing: I think you misunderstood me. or perhaps I misunderstood something, again... afaik, C4 is the name of the explosive material, right? the complete thing consisting of the explosive, the detonator and timer would be called an "explosive charge" or something. so, when you say that ...
[quote]The Satchel Charge has many similarities with the much more common C4 explosive[/quote]
... you are comparing two entirely different things - you compare a device with a substance. do you know what I mean?

Guest Azrael
[quote name='Moriarty' date='Jul 5 2005, 12:33 PM']afaik xenocide v1 is supposed to be EXACTLY like xcom. including grenades not exploding in your hands, when in fact they should. :)

RDX: oh, okay. sorry, I thought the "X" was for "eXplosive"

I know that demolition can be a part of construction, but since from the precise meaning they are opposites, I think it should be mentioned. people might get confused when they hear about the use of explosives in construction without any explanation.

about the C4 thing: I think you misunderstood me. or perhaps I misunderstood something, again... afaik, C4 is the name of the explosive material, right? the complete thing consisting of the explosive, the detonator and timer would be called an "explosive charge" or something. so, when you say that ...
[quote]The Satchel Charge has many similarities with the much more common C4 explosive[/quote]
... you are comparing two entirely different things - you compare a device with a substance. do you know what I mean?
[right][post="124129"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]
According to [url="http://science.howstuffworks.com/c-42.htm"]this[/url], it's the name of the whole explosive charge, the explosive material is another thing. Also, it says RDX is Research Development Explosive..? Edited by Azrael

Maybe I was a bit wrong for RDX. Although I agreeded with you (Research & Development eXplosive IS rational :wink1:), I wasn't totally sure.

About the C4: In nearly every game out there, C4 is the whole charge. For example, in Project IGI (I'm Going In, a great game with the worst AI ever :P, dunno about IGI 2...), you would plant C4 explosives in different targets. That C4 was a tiny square pack, the size of your palm, with a red touch screen, a timer and 2-3 buttons :)

I noticed the Rocket Launcher CT refers to "RDM" as "Rapid Detonating Mixture", and the Proximity Grenade mentions "RDX" as "Rapid Detonating eXplosive". Just a note for the future, we should probably make all of them consistent after we figure out what it exactly stands for. :D

About C4, I've seen and heard of it referred to as both the whole charge and the actual plastic explosive material, but I'm not an expert. Edited by Astyanax

Guest Azrael
[quote name='Astyanax' date='Jul 6 2005, 04:11 PM']I noticed the Rocket Launcher CT refers to "RDM" as "Rapid Detonating Mixture", and the Proximity Grenade mentions "RDX" as "Rapid Detonating eXplosive".  Just a note for the future, we should probably make all of them consistent after we figure out what it exactly stands for. :D
[right][post="124239"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Agree, anyone knows for sure? the site I posted says Research Development eXplosive.

As a sidenote, us English folks (not Americans) spell it Aluminium.

Al-U-Min-Ee-Um.

Americans say it;

A-Lu-Min-Um.

(Or, at least, that's how I've heard a fair few americans say it)

~~

On the subject of RDX...

Acronym Finder and Military Words are pretty sure it's Rapid Detonating eXplosive, with "Research and Development Explosive" as a much rarer variant.

I suspect the latter (Research and Development eXplosive) is more like experimental explosives that are used to test things like armour plating and so on.

Probably, while researched, they are called Research & Development Explosives, and then whenever they are ready are renamed to Rapid Detonating eXplosives. Rational enough :)

And, I DO want to call it aluminIum!!! :angry: :NyaNyaNya: :Leek: :)

How can Aluminum be the same as AluminIum... the spelling denotes that it is a different element...
also, translate it from American English to British English? Are you insane? That would take a lot longer than the end work would justify. Just because us American shorten the spelling of your words to make them easier to spell(armour/armor, colour/color, etc. In reality they are pronounced the same and i don't mind, just i prefer american spelling on almost everything but armor, it just looks wrong.)