XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Satchel Charge

Um, aluminum is the American way to spell alumin[b]i[/b]um... they are the same element.

As for translations... don't we have a translation taskforce for that? Though I'd find it quite amusing if someone wanted to "translate" Xenocide from American English to British English... :laugh:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, does the periodic chart have the names or just the chemical symbols... I don't have one within reach and i don't feel like searching for one, but if it does have names(i'm pretty sure it does) then see how it is spelled... Aluminum, or Aluminium, and we'll go with however the chart goes, the Chart doesn't lie.

That's true, but it would depend on whether you get a periodic table from Britain or one from the US. :P

All right, I found this link: [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium"]Aluminum/Aluminium wiki page[/url]

This should clear things up.

Aside from spelling differences, the CT looks good to me. :)

you know, i wanted a periodic chart, that was probably made by a British guy, WHY IS ALUMINUM SPELLED DIFFERENTLY IN AMERICA AND GREAT BRITAIN, IT MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL.

Excerpted from the link in my previous post:
[quote]The official IUPAC spelling of the element is aluminium; however, Americans and Canadians generally spell and pronounce it aluminum.

In 1808, Humphry Davy originally proposed the name alumium while trying to isolate the new metal electrolytically from the mineral alumina. A couple of years later he changed the name to aluminum to match its Latin root, but was finally persuaded to restore the -ium ending in 1812 giving aluminium. This had the advantage of conforming to the -ium suffix precedent set by other newly discovered elements of the period potassium, sodium, magnesium, calcium, and strontium (all of which Davy had isolated himself). However, for the next thirty years, both the -um and -ium endings were used in the scientific literature.

Curiously, America adopted the -ium for most of the 19th century with aluminium appearing in Webster's Dictionary of 1828. However Charles Martin Hall selected the -um spelling in an advertising handbill for his new efficient electrolytic method for the production of aluminium, four years after he had patented the process in 1888. Although this spelling may have been an accident, Hall's domination of aluminium production ensured that the -um ending became the standard in North America, even though the Webster Unabridged Dictionary of 1913 continued to use the -ium version. In 1926 the American Chemical Society decided officially to use aluminum in its publications.

Meanwhile most of Europe had standardized on the -ium spelling. In 1990 the IUPAC adopted aluminium as the standard international name for the element. Aluminium is also the name used in French, Dutch, German, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish and Japanese; Italian uses alluminio, Portuguese alumínio, Spanish aluminio and Finnish alumiini. (The use of these words in these other languages is one of the reasons IUPAC chose aluminium over aluminum.) [b]In 1993, IUPAC recognized aluminum as an acceptable variant, but still prefers the use of aluminium.[/b][/quote](emphasis mine)

In any case, I'd say the spelling issue is a matter for the proofreading taskforce, wouldn't you say? :) Edited by Astyanax

This is a scientific report, and scientists (chemists) just love UIPAC!

And, I DO hate (most) american habits (such as their spelling and pronunciation)
Definitely, I love the way my English teacher, Mrs. Andy (from Wales), used to pronounce teacher: tee-cha! And she used to "spit" a lot! Woohoo, I love british pronunciation! ^^

:OffTopic:

So, just leave it Aluminium please! Any other comments, or should we send it to Phase I?

i just feel odd having it aluminium instead of aluminum. I don't know why, but any other british way of spelling stuff i do not care, but for some reason that one really gets to me. Perhaps depending on whether the scientists is american or European it should be spelled one way or the other. Like a random dice roll.