XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART-Raptor

No no, j'ordos, you got it all wrong. The legs are to straight

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we should be working along the lines of Zipper's concept since it seems to better embody the agressive, predatory, and utterly alien nature of this beast.

To me at least the "altered dinosaur" look doesn't work very well.

The longer tail works well but the legs are too close to together. Widen and flatten the body and tail so they're at least twice as wide as it is now and I think you'll be haeading in a better direction. Also make the feet wider and bigger, like Zipperhead's design, you want the feel that this creature pins its prey with its feet and almost crushes them with the force of them. Bulking up on the muscles of the legs as well would look good too.

Some tweaks + stump tail. Should I keep the long tail or something similar to this one?

Edit: about the muscles, I tried to do that in the first pic but I guess it doesn't show that well.

4.jpg

Edited by fidel_

A major point regarding the balance from front to back, the balance point would be the balls of the feet. Rather than having the opposable "dew claw" resting on the ground, have that be a second joint along the leg and have the front pads of the feet carry the weight. The simply shape model I posted was based on Cheetah legs, which have those 3 main sections in addition to the actual foot. You can have a lot more mass sitting behind the pads to balance the chest and head, without the need for a long or heavy tail, you could even go with a bobcat tail there.

Feel free to shoot this one down, but have you considered making it one giant walking mouth? Still with three jaws of course.

post-29-1075888803_thumb.jpg

Feel free to shoot this one down, but have you considered making it one giant walking mouth? Still with three jaws of course.

you asked for it!

:uzzi:

Fidel:

I liked the long tail. Also, the hips are in the right position, but I think the feet need to be placed further front inorder to balance this guy. (Especially if the tail is going to stay that short...)

MagicAndy :LOL:

Looks like Pacman with legs. This might just be the first time I disagree with you! :huh?:

Let's stay on topic, for those just joining us I've deleted several posts that in summary felt the last pic was similar to Pac Man, an arcade game from about 20 years ago.

I thought we agreed the long tail makes it look like a dinosaur.. Short tail is fine IMO. It does still look a bit like "from earth". It should look more like it's from another planet.

I think Zipper's last concept was great, it didn't look like a classic dinosaur but like a real mean alien!

I've got to agree with disliking the longer tapered tail, reminds me too much of the velociraptor dinosaur so popular in Jurassic Park moview, that's going to be the first impression a lot of people might get. The stub tail makes it more distinct IMO, and again will work fine for balance based on the joint angles.

I think Zipper's last concept was great, it didn't look like a classic dinosaur but like a real mean alien!

If I were to model it exactly like it looks in zippers concept, I would need detailed concept pics from the side and front view, that way I could use them as reference images. Those would help tremendously. Right now I have just trial and error.

About the dune worm face, how does everybody else feel about it? It would certainly change the looks compared to the original.

I kind like the dune work face idea. Very otherworldly, but I'm not sure that the eyes would work.

Perhaps it doesn't have any but uses some sort of echo location, like when you get those recording of bat clicks slowed right down. Lack of eyes would add another tick in the alien box.

hmmmm

It could do the sound by resonating the chest cavity.

Perhaps the sensors are around the edge of the mouth so it runs along with the mouth open when near a target to triangulate better.

At first you hear the clicking but you can't see where it's coming from.

The frequency and pitch increases, it's found you

Then it comes running out of the darkness screaming, mouth wide open, Fangs dripping.

I love the idea of it not having eyes! Great! And I agree with the dune-worm-mouth idea too.

About the dinosaurs, we have to remember that it will look quite different when we apply the fuhr on it I think :huh?: Nothing like a dinosaur then :D

I disagree! :devillaugh:

Eh. I don't really like the four mouth idea. It reminds me too much or predator's mouth.

And FYI, the worms in dune had three mouth flaps, not four! :)

I think we should keep Zip's concept as is, and have him provide fidel with some nice art that he can model from.

I think the current 3 piece mouth could work in the same way as the 4 piece. I'm partial to the 3 piece because 4 starts to sound a little flimsy, the whole front of the head's opening up at that point... The alien could still have the small black eyes and use echo location, bats have both and use both as well. Maybe this thing was a night hunter and used sonic echoes then?

Just think of the effect when you were first playing doom, and you could hear the demos creeping around somewhere close.

Not too many games have done that sucessfully. I would work well in the battlescape.

Just cos it's turn based doesn't mean all noise has to stop. I know time stops, but you can get away with background and creature noises continuing during "stopped time". a sonar would be OK as long as it's not a continuous noise. You could emphasise the alien movement by changing the timbre and volume of the noise during their movement phase.

These concepts, especially the tailless ones, have quite a resemblance IMHO to the alit and kagouti from Morrowind. Attached: an Alit from the side.

alitside.JPG

like I said, a big walking mouth :D

really for Fidel, but I guess you lot can see it to.

Also it comes to be that Im now a captain, this will not do!

I request that I get put back to "Sergeant", or at lest "Honorary Sergeant".

thankyou.

post-29-1075984842_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zipperhead

These concepts, especially the tailless ones, have quite a resemblance IMHO to the alit and kagouti from Morrowind. Attached: an Alit from the side.

I gotta say. That morrowind critter, I don't know who textured that but it could stand another pass.

Edited by drewid

That last pic is really nice Zipper, just as I had pictured it :master:

Also it comes to be that Im now a captain, this will not do!

I request that I get put back to "Sergeant", or at lest "Honorary Sergeant".

thankyou.

:huh: why?

an about the eyes....i think 3 are too many. i think 2 sets of bigger eyes would work better.

an about the eyes....i think 3 are too many. i think 2 sets of bigger eyes would work better.

How about instead of having all three sets look forward, we have one set forward looking, one pair sidewards looking(one eye looking left, another looking right) and two on the back of it's head?

edit:

Give this guy 360 degree vision in the game too! No more sneaking up behind the Reaper to give him a medical checkup!

Edited by tzuchan

I think the 3 eyes are great as they are

Yeah, I think the eye positioning is great here too. Do the reapers have cybernetics? I think there was mention of it in the original.

As far as Zip wanting to keep a particular rank, I don't know why he would want to but I would want to keep mine so I don't have to change my avatar.

Zip, are you going to draw pictures from front and behind as well?